Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Truxx

LE
There does seem to be this idea that CEA/BSA covers all the costs and you can send your child to Eton/Harrow?Rugby/Etc.
They still have to pass the common entry tests, so you might not get your first choice and boarding doesn't suit all children.

But lets say you you get your 2 kids into a fairly average boarding school. That's still about £1000-£1200 per month. plus initial uniform and kit out, budget £1k per child. Now start adding the inevitable extras and these schools bill for all sorts of things. And the school trips can be eye watering, even just going to the British Museum in London etc. Once they start heading off to Iceland, Ghana, Washington, etc.

Fun fact, even when to comes to exams get ready to pay c£60 per subject exam entry.
Been there, done that. I think we used to budget a grand a term .Luckily we only had all three at school at the same time for one year.

Been there, done that. I think we used to budget a grand a term .Luckily we only had all three at school at the same time for one year.
I had 2 in day school and even with a 75% off in discounts, etc, it was still £800 pm.

A £grand a term...shows how much times have changed.
We budget a £grand per month per child.

Maybe not. However Army types are generally pretty nosey.
It wouldn't take too much for you to start working out if something isn't right.

Its worth pointing out that claiming CEA isn't like putting in a JPA claim for your coffee and KFC.
Its a fairly rigorous and audited process - for all the reasons demonstrated in this thread.
People generally don't set out to commit fraud, what happens normally is that they have a change in circumstances. they don't report the change, get away with it and keep going.

Slightly off topic, in my experience, fraud follows a similar pattern to abuse. In that it starts small, they get away with and generally keeping going, the offence getting bigger until they get caught.
I was recently helping a small business where the accountant had started out over 2-3 years, initially taking a few quid a month, it grew until they were taking 20-30k per month out the business, causing it to nearly collapse.

IIRC (& happy to be corrected), MoD policy is in finance roles you have to move after 5 years, because the thinking is by then you will know the gaps in the system and temptation may set it.

(I would also add that SNCOs/WOs stick together far far more than officers when wrongdoing is going on).
Be as nosey as you like, if I was skimming 20k a year from the MOD with the threat of a jail sentence I wouldnt be telling anyone anything.

Its not that rigorous if cases like this seem to crop up and that only the ones we hear about because Officer Bloggette is more interesting to the press than SNCO Bloggs.

A lot of crime grows bigger over time, fraud/abuse isnt unique. The bloke shoplifting playstations probably started of nicking sweeties, the soldier in the QMs selling half the clothing store probably started with a couple of pairs of T shirts, the bloke selling a coke wholesale probably started with flogging a few spliffs. Its human nature to continue to exploit the weaknesses, most people dont know when to quit though.

SNCO/WOs arent in charge of the Army, officers are, the buck stops with them.

Or look at it anotrher way. individual has three children each 2 years apart and sends all to boarding school between the ages of 8 and 18.

At todays rates that would harvest about £720,000. If looked at as real income and 40% tax applied this would amount to an uplift in salary of £1,200, 000.

I have yet to meet anyone, in the Army at least, whose contribution is worth a buckshee £1.2 million.

Warminster School, there were loads when I was there and still is, it was formally Lord Weymouth and St Monica's but still very much boys and girls separation.
Still? - Have you been there recently? Three of mine have gone/are going through 'Warmy' in the last 15 years, other than separate boarding houses and games teams, there's no separation at all. A cracking school.

There does seem to be this idea that CEA/BSA covers all the costs and you can send your child to Eton/Harrow?Rugby/Etc.
They still have to pass the common entry tests, so you might not get your first choice and boarding doesn't suit all children.

But lets say you you get your 2 kids into a fairly average boarding school. That's still about £1000-£1200 per month. plus initial uniform and kit out, budget £1k per child. Now start adding the inevitable extras and these schools bill for all sorts of things. Books, bats, hoodies,
Nearly all extra curricular stuff costs, music lessons and swimming lessons in particular seem to be expensive.
And the school trips can be eye watering. The British Museum in London etc, that's an easy £100. Once they start heading off to Iceland, Ghana, Washington, etc, you are in for at least £1200.

Fun fact, even when to comes to exams get ready to pay c£60 per subject exam entry.
Im sure I went over this last time, there are plenty of cheaper schools out there, if you chose to send your kids to a school that includes all these extras thats your choice, no different to than someone sending their kid to an expensive day school that has all those extras.

Almost everything you wrote there gives the Daily Mail ammunition to run stories about posh officers kids going to posh schools.

Not to mention that some pads spend less with not having to feed the kids, pay baby sitters, drive them to clubs, plus the fact the spouse can find work more easily.

My understanding is that only Eton, Winchester and Harrow.
Military Alumni of each
Eton - CGS
Winchester - CDS
Harrow - James Blunt!
At least Blunt occasionally raises morale

Or look at it anotrher way. individual has three children each 2 years apart and sends all to boarding school between the ages of 8 and 18.

At todays rates that would harvest about £720,000. If looked at as real income and 40% tax applied this would amount to an uplift in salary of £1,200, 000.

I have yet to meet anyone, in the Army at least, whose contribution is worth a buckshee £1.2 million.
Obviously we never met.

Im sure I went over this last time, there are plenty of cheaper schools out there, if you chose to send your kids to a school that includes all these extras thats your choice, no different to than someone sending their kid to an expensive day school that has all those extras.

Almost everything you wrote there gives the Daily Mail ammunition to run stories about posh officers kids going to posh schools.

Not to mention that some pads spend less with not having to feed the kids, pay baby sitters, drive them to clubs, plus the fact the spouse can find work more easily.
How much to you think average boarding schools cost? And most boarding schools also operate day school.

The difference between an average boarding school and a top end (Eton, Harrow, Winchester, Sherborne, Marlborough etc) is probably £2-300 a month extra. I see plenty of folk driving round in brand new financed cars costing more than that...

I take your point that it gives the Daily Mail extra ammunition, but CEA is agnostic of rank and appointment. State boarders are often peanuts, I guess a couple of grand a year - but CEA is the same.

The difference between an average boarding school and a top end (Eton, Harrow, Winchester, Sherborne, Marlborough etc) is probably £2-300 a month extra. I see plenty of folk driving round in brand new financed cars costing more than that...

I take your point that it gives the Daily Mail extra ammunition, but CEA is agnostic of rank and appointment. State boarders are often peanuts, I guess a couple of grand a year - but CEA is the same.
CEA favours those who can afford the extra 10% plus extras to get the more upmarket schools. Pte Blogg will be looking at the bottom end of the market. Not got a problem with that, what people spend their money on is up to them, but lets not pretend otherwise.

Some state boarders are as low as 13500 a year (not term) cost to the MOD would be 12150, cost to the parent would be 1350 plus extras. Minus food, baby sitting fees, extra like driving them around plus the spouse can get a job more easily and it not the hardship some might allude to. Stick them in a posh school where they play lacrosse or ride horses might cost more but no one has to send their kids to those type of schools.

How much to you think average boarding schools cost? And most boarding schools also operate day school.
Some state boarding schools are 13500 for the year.
Did you not check them out in your rush to spend taxpayers money?

Edit just found one for 12k a year.

The government only has a duty to fund the same standard of education that anyone else would get at a local state school, giving the stability to service children that might be missing from numerous duty moves. It isn’t an excuse to get an incredibly rare standard of education paid for by others.

Anything over and above this is a massive tax payer funded perk and I struggle to see how it survives.

When the elite further abuse what is an incredible handout, they only jeopardise it for others.

..........................IIRC (& happy to be corrected), MoD policy is in finance roles you have to move after 5 years, because the thinking is by then you will know the gaps in the system and temptation may set it..........
>>Slight drift for a bit of background<<

It was the behaviour of this guy, Gordon Foxley, that brought in that policy plus the separation of financial and contractual authority when it came to letting contracts. While he was feathering his nest, he held both so he was in a position to decide what was being spent and with whom.

I'm not sure what point stacker was making there. I suppose all Independent schooling is perceived as "posh" by some folks. I've seen a few schools that didn't strike me as particularly posh.

State boarding is quite interesting. If memory serves there are about 3 dozen or so.

Wellington college full boarding £13k per term, Wellington Academy £4k.
Godolphin is £11k

Some state boarding schools are 13500 for the year.
Did you not check them out in your rush to spend taxpayers money?

Edit just found one for 12k a year.
no because I wasn't spending tax payers money

Latest Threads