Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
P Coy is not initial training though, is it?
Well given that you have to pass it before joining the Parachute Regiment I guess it could be described as that.

I was wondering if he'd get a mention. Really nice bloke.
And that was feedback not just from the officers mess but the Troopers on the ground - my son thought he was a star. Back in the day he was a Coy Cmdr. in 2 Scots and of the other Coy Cmdrs one is a 2* having commanded 3 Div, and another DR is in the Veterans office having been wounded commanding 3 Scots.

Well given that you have to pass it before joining the Parachute Regiment I guess it could be described as that.

But if you failed, you could be offered alternative employment in the Army; the same is true of the All Arms candidates. The select out approach that you have highlighted for Rowallan Company didn't even give people that chance.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
But if you failed, you could be offered alternative employment in the Army; the same is true of the All Arms candidates. The select out approach that you have highlighted for Rowallan Company didn't even give people that chance.
Not quite true - Rowallan was in itself a ‘second chance’ of a kind and if you failed then some had the option of trying again (I doubt many did). Also there was nothing stopping you joining up as a soldier - that was my plan.

chimera

LE
Just to bring the thread back on track (briefly), after 174 pages, and 3467 posts, Welch's CM starts next week.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Just to bring the thread back on track (briefly), after 174 pages, and 3467 posts, Welch's CM starts next week.
Who’s on the board?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Which he richly deserves.

My point is that RowCo ‘selected out’ instead of ‘training in’ which is what today’s Army does.

It’s safe to say that at least a few that survived what @QRK2 calls ‘remedial’ training have done quite well. And rightly so - I don’t think you qualify to have a valid opinion on such training unless you’ve experienced it.

But I would say that wouldn’t I?:roll:
There's probably a greater connection between the longer-term success of young, non-graduates, rather than just RoWCo types - coincidently many of the younger OCdts passaged to the CC via RowCo due to "immaturity" or other such spurious assessments by RCB.

The couple of guys from my cohort who are racing ahead of the pack are both non-grads. My assessment, is that the extra 3/4 years in the Army as a junior officer is of greater benefit to the individual by virtue of absorbing the culture of the organisation, expectations etc in time for various early career promotion / appointment boards etc. Eg, in the run into a Adjt board, a grad officer will have probably only have done a Tp/Pl Comd tour and one junior capt role...a non-grad is most likely to have done x2 Tp Comd tours, an instr job and a junior capt job... as such will be much more rounded (and younger) come Adjt appt, BeL & SUC selection. Despite being a "progressive" organisation the army still has "younger the better" as its career management philosophy - although now disguised as EED - it is still an age-based career system.

Of course, as the army has transitioned to an almost graduate only intake and parity of terms of service, this will be much less relevant. Current RMAS comdt is both non-grad and RowCo.

And rightly so - I don’t think you qualify to have a valid opinion on such training unless you’ve experienced it.

But I would say that wouldn’t I?:roll:
Generations of high class sports coaches fundamentally disagree with on that point.

A few did:

O Type
Beaconsfield edumacation
PODC knife fork spoon
RowCo
Y List
RowCo
SMC
Do wish I had done an O type or Brigade squad or even spent a year backpacking. Having passed RCB, and gone straight from school to Sandhurst for the September intake it was one hell of a culture shock, and I found it hard playing catch up to those who had some service in.

Bulford 1 Mar Husband and wife?
They (QRH) were based in Sennelager until 2019 so it possible they fucked up there (Pads wives in Germany can come under military law)

Latest Threads