Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

View attachment 552796

I used to work for this bloke, an utter legend. From Halton 'brat' to 3* DCom.

Absolute gent who could hold his own across the spectrum, from Defence Secretaries down to gobby SACs. Still flies his own Spitfire, I believe.
Wasnt he the oke who test flew the spitfire that was in the Guy Martin programme about the one they pulled out the beach at Dunkirk

Another one today

A Major has today been dismissed from the Army for fraudulently pocketing £2,500 when he claimed his estranged wife and children were living with him in Germany.

Pristone Osabwa, 40, abused his allowances by keeping hold of a service family home despite never having lived there with his wife and three children.

The Major had falsely claimed his family were sharing the home with him while he served with the 20th Armoured Infantry Brigade in Germany.

Dismissed

Still continued claiming even when under investigation ???

Any one ID the medal ribbons

View attachment 552776
Blimey, that is interesting. I know him very well and he is a decent bloke (Most of the time). Given his amazing back story it's a real shame it has ended like this for him.

I don't imagine he can ever go home, considering how he ended up as an army officer in the first place. It is also a bit of a sad tale how he split with his wife too.

Still, I suppose guilty of fraud is guilty of fraud, no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

QRK2

LE
There was a time when just about every cap-badge had a Potential Officers' Wing. They took in young men who fancied trying out the Army before they went to RCB (AOSB) and hopefullySandhurst (Type O enlistments, or maybe S Type?). If they failed RCB, they could leave the Army quickly, or complete a 3 year stint. In some ways this system was a copy of the Guards' Brigade Squad (Aspiring Guards Officers had to do Brigade Squad before Sandhurst). The result of all these PO wings was lots of officers could claim to have started at the bottom. Not saying that it was always the case and some really did start at the bottom, like Wullie Robertson.
+ those that did TA rather than OTC, none of which is anything like FM Robertson (also IIRC those who had to do the remedial course (RowCo) to get into RMAS). A fact of which which some of the BS merchants posting here (not you) are fully aware (or they are even more ignorant than they seem).

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
There was a time when just about every cap-badge had a Potential Officers' Wing. They took in young men who fancied trying out the Army before they went to RCB (AOSB) and hopefullySandhurst (Type O enlistments, or maybe S Type?). If they failed RCB, they could leave the Army quickly, or complete a 3 year stint. In some ways this system was a copy of the Guards' Brigade Squad (Aspiring Guards Officers had to do Brigade Squad before Sandhurst). The result of all these PO wings was lots of officers could claim to have started at the bottom. Not saying that it was always the case and some really did start at the bottom, like Wullie Robertson.
That’s not what I’m talking about.

And I should know - I did an O Type and RowCo!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
+ those that did TA rather than OTC, none of which is anything like FM Robertson (also IIRC those who had to do the remedial course (RowCo) to get into RMAS). A fact of which which some of the BS merchants posting here (not you) are fully aware (or they are even more ignorant than they seem).
‘Remedial’

Like it.

Blimey, that is interesting. I know him very well and he is a decent bloke (Most of the time). Given his amazing back story it's a real shame it has ended like this for him.

I don't imagine he can ever go home, considering how he ended up as an army officer in the first place. It is also a bit of a sad tale how he split with his wife too.

Still, I suppose guilty of fraud is guilty of fraud, no matter how you look at it.

What's his back story then,

Archie

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed "intended to remedy... ...deficiency, etc" OED definition
As the current Commandant of RMAS would say, ‘it didn’t do me any harm’.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed "intended to remedy... ...deficiency, etc" OED definition.

Jesus H Christ. TA, O Type and RowCo you must have been pretty bad and utterly desperate.
******* awful - you?

‘Top third?’

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Said from the perspective of receiving a 2*'s paycheck every month, of course not. :roll:
Which he richly deserves.

My point is that RowCo ‘selected out’ instead of ‘training in’ which is what today’s Army does.

It’s safe to say that at least a few that survived what @QRK2 calls ‘remedial’ training have done quite well. And rightly so - I don’t think you qualify to have a valid opinion on such training unless you’ve experienced it.

But I would say that wouldn’t I?:roll:

What's his back story then,

Archie
Very briefly.

He comes from a village in Africa that is very poor. He was barefoot as a kid, as they all were, but quite bright. In every generation the brightest kid is chosen and the village all chip in to send him on to higher education for the benefit of them all. In their turn they are expected to chip in for the next kid and so on.

In his generation he was that kid and ended up at university in UK. While there he got interested in an army commission but got knocked back. Took a few jobs and worked on his applications for the army, even undergoing cultural conversion courses such as learning about things like lego which the kids in Africa neither have nor understand.

Got into and through RMAS and sent good sums of money home for his family etc. As he was fluent in Swahili, he was a favourite for certain tours and pulled a few of them, even though they were well outside his job spec. As you can see from the photo he passed AACC and was very fit. His wife was lovely and his eldest son was a little charmer.

Basically, an intrinsically good bloke who worked a lot harder than most of us to get where he was, then farked up and flushed it all away. If he had kept on the straight and narrow he would have almost certainly been an OF-5 and maybe better.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I think the PO wing stuff is different to most (all?) of all the specific cases that have been mentioned here so far. The difference between them and Robertson is that those cited on this thread mostly made a relatively swift move from private soldier to a commission, while Robertson went through a series of promotions before making the jump.

Last edited:
Which he richly deserves.

My point is that RowCo ‘selected out’ instead of ‘training in’ which is what today’s Army does.

It’s safe to say that at least a few that survived what @QRK2 calls ‘remedial’ training have done quite well. And rightly so - I don’t think you qualify to have a valid opinion on such training unless you’ve experienced it.

But I would say that wouldn’t I?:roll:

A product of its times then, which no longer has a role to play.

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
Very briefly.

He comes from a village in Africa that is very poor. He was barefoot as a kid, as they all were, but quite bright. In every generation the brightest kid is chosen and the village all chip in to send him on to higher education for the benefit of them all. In their turn they are expected to chip in for the next kid and so on.

In his generation he was that kid and ended up at university in UK. While there he got interested in an army commission but got knocked back. Took a few jobs and worked on his applications for the army, even undergoing cultural conversion courses such as learning about things like lego which the kids in Africa neither have nor understand.

Got into and through RMAS and sent good sums of money home for his family etc. As he was fluent in Swahili, he was a favourite for certain tours and pulled a few of them, even though they were well outside his job spec. As you can see from the photo he passed AACC and was very fit. His wife was lovely and his eldest son was a little charmer.

Basically, an intrinsically good bloke who worked a lot harder than most of us to get where he was, then farked up and flushed it all away. If he had kept on the straight and narrow he would have almost certainly been an OF-5 and maybe better.
Inspiring stuff and a crying shame that he threw that all away.

Latest Threads