Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Another one today

A Major has today been dismissed from the Army for fraudulently pocketing £2,500 when he claimed his estranged wife and children were living with him in Germany.

Pristone Osabwa, 40, abused his allowances by keeping hold of a service family home despite never having lived there with his wife and three children.

The Major had falsely claimed his family were sharing the home with him while he served with the 20th Armoured Infantry Brigade in Germany.

Dismissed

Still continued claiming even when under investigation ???

Any one ID the medal ribbons

View attachment 552776
Looks like Herrick

The stories of Gulf cadets at Cranwell giving their course mates each a Rolex/Porsche/three week all-in holiday in Mauritius at the end of their course are legion. Except, no one seems to have bothered to keep the Rolex or the Porsche, which does seem a pity.
I trousered some cash buying 200 Marlboro lights for some gulf type on the final Sandhurst exercise.
Also flogged a load of cans of pop at a dollar a tin (24 for 8 dollars in the PX).
I probably could have bought a rolex with the profits if I had been a bit quicker.

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Good point. Brain not fully engaged.

Fine chap whatever.
A recent COM(L) joined as a Cfn and retired as a 3*. Plenty of folks out there that started on the ‘bottom rung’.

Doesn’t suit the narrative of ARRSE class warriors though!

A recent COM(L) joined as a Cfn and retired as a 3*. Plenty of folks out there that started on the ‘bottom rung’.

What rank did he commission from and how long did he do as an OR?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

There's another 3* about to retire who did 18 months as a soldier before going to Sandhurst.

1614366450478.png

I used to work for this bloke, an utter legend. From Halton 'brat' to 3* DCom.

Absolute gent who could hold his own across the spectrum, from Defence Secretaries down to gobby SACs. Still flies his own Spitfire, I believe.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
What rank did he commission from and how long did he do as an OR?
I don’t know exactly, but I think he spent time in BAOR as a Cfn so a while maybe. Do you have an ‘acceptable’ timeframe in mind?

Does it make much difference?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
There's another 3* about to retire who did 18 months as a soldier before going to Sandhurst.
Also a 2* who started as a Cav Bandsman.

Beards now allowed in the British Army -

Another tradition trashed - how do you identify the Pioneer Sgt now

In an Infantry Bn every Tom Dick and Rupert will now be sporting a full set

Archie
The guy with the axe?

View attachment 552796

I used to work for this bloke, an utter legend. From Halton 'brat' to 3* DCom.

Absolute gent who could hold his own across the spectrum, from Defence Secretaries down to gobby SACs. Still flies his own Spitfire, I believe.
Nothing new, RAF Halton Apprentice was a long accepted way to social mobility, way back to the 1920's the top few of every entry were selected for a Cranwell Cadetship. Very many were later commissioned through various schemes during their careers, inter war many went up the NCO Pilot to Officer ladder.

There was a time when just about every cap-badge had a Potential Officers' Wing. They took in young men who fancied trying out the Army before they went to RCB (AOSB) and hopefullySandhurst (Type O enlistments, or maybe S Type?). If they failed RCB, they could leave the Army quickly, or complete a 3 year stint. In some ways this system was a copy of the Guards' Brigade Squad (Aspiring Guards Officers had to do Brigade Squad before Sandhurst). The result of all these PO wings was lots of officers could claim to have started at the bottom. Not saying that it was always the case and some really did start at the bottom, like Wullie Robertson.

Another one today

A Major has today been dismissed from the Army for fraudulently pocketing £2,500 when he claimed his estranged wife and children were living with him in Germany.

Pristone Osabwa, 40, abused his allowances by keeping hold of a service family home despite never having lived there with his wife and three children.

The Major had falsely claimed his family were sharing the home with him while he served with the 20th Armoured Infantry Brigade in Germany.

Dismissed

Still continued claiming even when under investigation ???

Any one ID the medal ribbons

View attachment 552776
But only one medal, Maj 40 year old??

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There was a 2* who retired last year started as a Trooper in the 16/5th before being picked up for RMAS. He went onto Command 1 Scots and then Brigade Commander of The Black Rats before getting his second star.

I was wondering if he'd get a mention. Really nice bloke.

There was a time when just about every cap-badge had a Potential Officers' Wing. They took in young men who fancied trying out the Army before they went to RCB (AOSB) and hopefullySandhurst (Type O enlistments, or maybe S Type?). If they failed RCB, they could leave the Army quickly, or complete a 3 year stint. In some ways this system was a copy of the Guards' Brigade Squad (Aspiring Guards Officers had to do Brigade Squad before Sandhurst). The result of all these PO wings was lots of officers could claim to have started at the bottom. Not saying that it was always the case and some really did start at the bottom, like Wullie Robertson.
I worked with a Maj RE late 1980's who's previous appointment had been one of these Coy's said there were two Maj posts, his, who concentrated on leadership subjects, for those who had the academic certificates but lacked confidence, maturity and an the RAEC Maj who took the leaders of men without the GCSE's to get them up to the academic standard. I think you will find Capt Mark-Phillips Princess Ann's first old man joined via this scheme.

Latest Threads