Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

The Master of Signals is a Major-General with a Biology degree, and her recent posting is of course due to the subject of the thread. The Corps Secretary was DE, but his father was SNCO or LE [1]; and I know a Lieutenant-Colonel doing DA stuff, whose father was a QGS SNCO [2].

I even know a Colonel who transferred across from the infantry after he got injured...

[1] He had to be, to go to our school...
[2] Same yeargroup of 35 as [1], and a fairly gifted artist.
Initials of the transferee JV?, if so I know him well.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
If Scaly Alberto's attempts make an appearance I'm nuking this thread from orbit.
Given the dimensions of some of his favoured subjects...
1613655631906.png

Given the amount of time, costs, people involved and the resulting bad press , would it not have been easier, to call some of these characters in for a meeting without coffee, and perhaps with some senior officers present, to then explain to the person concerned the error of their ways, and how they were going to re imburse the missing money, possibly taken from pay each month, with a little interest added for good measure ?
word would soon get around, others would realise that its better to be honest, and you do not have to lose a member of the Corp who has been trained at some considerable expense
of course everybody down to the cleaners will find out as the gossip monger spread it
but it may be a better and more efficient way of dealing with it, within reason

many many years ago I worked for a large company that was losing money, in spite of pretty full order books
questions were asked , people pulled in , and the cadre involved were soon in for a very worrying meeting, two members of the firm left promptly, for failing to disclose their invovlment or report the fraud , the major perpetrator kept his job, although we all knew about his scam , I questioned the Company owner ( a pretty clever fella), he said if I get rid of X he will merely go elsewhere and start up again, plus bad mouth my company, and we also lose the money, so I have retained him on little more than carefully checked expenses, and his wages will be deducted to repay the fraud, this will keep the firms name out of the press, and he must work harder to earn more money, and repay the debt
but if he leaves our employment, he will have to take out a very substantial bank loan or pass the deeds to his house over
X stayed for many years, but his lifestyle was severly curtailed, and all of his hangers on soon dispersed when the cash was not being flashed
I heard later ( having moved on) that the money was nearly all paid back when he retired, that must have hurt

So only face having to pay back what you stole (plus a small amount of interest) if you get caught?
Yeah I cant see anything wrong with that idea.

I was rather clumsily trying to say that he could have spent more than 12 months at RMAS, because of "either the AIUI-recently-revived RowCo replacement course, followed by CC; or backtermed while on CC (due to incompetence or even injury, if so hopefully caused by walking into doors or falling down stairs)"

Apologies for any confusion...
Apologies for pedantry :)

Every foreign student at RMAS is issued a MAW at the start of the course for that precise purpose. Likewise with giving Pl Comd and Pl CSgt keys to his porsche at the end of the course.
The stories of Gulf cadets at Cranwell giving their course mates each a Rolex/Porsche/three week all-in holiday in Mauritius at the end of their course are legion. Except, no one seems to have bothered to keep the Rolex or the Porsche, which does seem a pity.

While at a training battalion (circa late 80's) we received some criticism from the units on the quality of new recruits being delivered. This resulted in the platoon staff on the next intake being given much latitude in binning recruits, which then produced a pair of passing out two platoons of about 15 bodies down from the intake of 30 odd each.

The consequences of which was a directive that more recruits must be passed out. An intake later after numerous space cadets had been kicked off into the holding pen (awaiting discharge, SNLR etc or for medical), a platoon was formed of these misfits and subsequently passed out....
When did we have ‘training battalions’?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
When did we have ‘training battalions’?
I spent 2 years as an instructor at Infantry Training Battalion, Strensall (formerly Depot, The King's Division)

I spent 2 years as an instructor at Infantry Training Battalion, Strensall (formerly Depot, The King's Division)
Every day is a school day! I served as an instructor at our Depot in the late ‘80s, of course forgetting that I had chums then doing the same thing at IJLB, then one hears of ATR’s these days. Too early in the morning I guess for the term ‘Training Battalion’ to register.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Every day is a school day! I served as an instructor at our Depot in the late ‘80s, of course forgetting that I had chums then doing the same thing at IJLB, then one hears of ATR’s these days. Too early in the morning I guess for the term ‘Training Battalion’ to register.
It changed from the depot system in '92

Indeed. Do I know you perchance?
You may do as I definitely had a brown trouser moment, on turning to the right once on Old College Square, and seeing the scantily clad ladies being ushered off, I thought, by an RM Colour Sergeant......I seem to remember that there was a whip round to raise circa £120 for the services of the "pets". At least our intake (SMC 13) did not plaster New College with Pink Panther paw prints and daub "Good-Bye Dave" along the roof. (Dave was CSM Dave Elliot).......