Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

The SO2 jobs need to be done. Many of the people who do them are very good at them.

You could go down the route if making them FTRS or civilianising them but then you run into problems of deployability.
Hence my use of “dead wood”. I know there are some fantastic SO2 and 1 out there, I’ve had the pleasure of working with some.

But unfortunately there is a cohort of them that haven’t seen RD for 15 years and are simply taking a wage and a very generous, and un-warranted allowance, which IMHO is not what the spirit of the allowance was set up for.

Andrew; hiding him in a remote boarding school somewhere should keep him out of trouble for the foreseeable.
I see a slight flaw in her plan

Your post is spot on; within those c.400 claimants includes some HO staff posted overseas too (when you go out to post an ECO or ILO, you effectively transfer to FCO T&Cs for the duration). The FCO can afford to be more generous and understanding because much smaller numbers claim CEA. My argument is that the MoD should confine CEA to its personnel posted to UK diplomatic posts and international organisations.
difference being, less for a handful of people at Milton Keynes, the overwhelming majority of UK based FCO pax work out of KCS. Same can't be said for MOD.

My answer to CEA and service kids education would be to have service a service school with branches in all the major military locations.

Kids could down pencils on Friday in Catterick and pick up pencils with the same syllabus, timetable, uniform in Cyprus or Colchester on Monday.

Boarding houses available for those garrisons too remote. Good teaching. Use of garrison facilities- sports etc.

Maybe even allow fee paying non pad brats.
This has been considered before, and discounted. Amongst the various reasons why it's not possible is that to establish a state school then the local council has to establish the school and open it to everybody, not just mil kids, otherwise it has to be an MOD owned school and run as an indy.

The latter is an option but it would require big ££££ to do this, and to be repeated to give geographic coverage - say one in North, South, Midlands, NI, Scotland - as although boarding is effectively outsourcing your kids, you still need family/friends near by for emergencies, weekends when you can't get back etc. This is in additional to already established SCE schools, now I think only in BFC.

The cost of establishing and running an additional five schools to a satisfactory standard would be new money and would far outstrip the current CEA budget, which has already been programmed.

Now, what would be an option would be a partnered agreement with nominated boarding schools where the school invoices the MOD direct on a per capita bases. Take the choice, the politics of envy and emotion out of the process. And make it cross-whitewall to stop any interdepartmental bitching.

The cost of establishing and running an additional five schools to a satisfactory standard would be new money and would far outstrip the current CEA budget,
It would be interesting to see the figures.

And finally, I look at it this way - as a family with two decent(ish) incomes, if we were civvies we would have settled and not moved every 18m to 2 yrs; we would pay to send kids to the local day school. Right now, the amount we pay in addition to CEA is broadly the same as the local indy day school. It's a zero sum gain.

It would be interesting to see the figures.
I don't have them - but you could probably work it out. 4000 kids aged from 8-18 split over 5-7 locations...you could reverse engineer what the budgets would need to be...

difference being, less for a handful of people at Milton Keynes, the overwhelming majority of UK based FCO pax work out of KCS. Same can't be said for MOD.
But that's entirely my point; you put your head above the parapet and apply for a DA's job in, for example, Amman and don't want your children going to an international school, then of course CEA on FCO terms is available for you. But in the UK, that's your look out. The Army is about to get smaller still with a limited range of garrisons left. Are you honestly telling me that you need CEA in those circumstances?

This has been considered before, and discounted. Amongst the various reasons why it's not possible is that to establish a state school then the local council has to establish the school and open it to everybody, not just mil kids, otherwise it has to be an MOD owned school and run as an indy.

The latter is an option but it would require big ££££ to do this, and to be repeated to give geographic coverage - say one in North, South, Midlands, NI, Scotland - as although boarding is effectively outsourcing your kids, you still need family/friends near by for emergencies, weekends when you can't get back etc. This is in additional to already established SCE schools, now I think only in BFC.

The cost of establishing and running an additional five schools to a satisfactory standard would be new money and would far outstrip the current CEA budget, which has already been programmed.

Now, what would be an option would be a partnered agreement with nominated boarding schools where the school invoices the MOD direct on a per capita bases. Take the choice, the politics of envy and emotion out of the process. And make it cross-whitewall to stop any interdepartmental bitching.
You clearly haven't been to Tidworth recently?

I don't have them - but you could probably work it out. 4000 kids aged from 8-18 split over 5-7 locations...you could reverse engineer what the budgets would need to be...
A brand new school would cost in the range of 15 to 30 million depending on size and location

Probably any extra 10 mil each for the accommodation.

Im not sure why they need 5 to 7 locations, theoretically you can have them all in the same place, they are there to be educated, no other reason.
But lets say 6 schools at 30 mil each, so an initial cost of 180 million plus running costs for every year afterwards.
How much is CEA costing a year? 80 million? It wouldnt take long for the costs to be recouped.

Of course certain people wont be using taxpayers money to part subsidise their children at "posh" schools so probably wont get looked at.

Hence my use of “dead wood”. I know there are some fantastic SO2 and 1 out there, I’ve had the pleasure of working with some.

But unfortunately there is a cohort of them that haven’t seen RD for 15 years and are simply taking a wage and a very generous, and un-warranted allowance, which IMHO is not what the spirit of the allowance was set up for.
If the Army really want to fight a battle about the preservation of CEA, stand by for a brutal outcome to the defence review.

But that's entirely my point; you put your head above the parapet and apply for a DA's job in, for example, Amman and don't want your children going to an international school, then of course CEA on FCO terms is available for you. But in the UK, that's your look out. The Army is about to get smaller still with a limited range of garrisons left. Are you honestly telling me that you need CEA in those circumstances?
Soldiers (and I include ORs) still get posted all over the UK.

I think most if not all state boarding schools already have the same syllabus.

However there was a lot of gnashing of teeth and crying in here when I suggested sending pads brats to them.
I agree with you. What you do for a living and how you educate your kids is a personal choice. No reason why the state should pick up the chpices of social climbers.

I agree with you. What you do for a living and how you educate your kids is a personal choice. No reason why the state should pick up the chpices of social climbers.
Ill be fair, I think the Army should secure pads brats education, but I dont think it should provide anything other than an stable education, want your kid to go to Harrow? Want them to be close to their grandparents? Want them to go to a music/sports school? Well, you ******* pay then mate, otherwise they are going to a standard (and cheap) boarding school.

Yes. Politically, it is not vital ground to fight on.
It is if you are in the north of Jockland and you get a posting to Tidworth in your kids exam years. Different school systems.
It can be worked around, but it shouldnt be ignored, its not the squaddies fault he's being posted.

I understand. But its not as clear cut as that, particulalry as you overlay assignments with critical stages of education. Further, there are lots of MOD assignments (especially for officer corps) that aren't in major garrisons. I've not served in a garrison for over 10 years.

I understand. But its not as clear cut as that, particulalry as you overlay assignments with critical stages of education. Further, there are lots of MOD assignments (especially for officer corps) that aren't in major garrisons. I've not served in a garrison for over 10 years.
Re. your last point, presumably an element of that is your choice i.e. you told your desk officer the sort of jobs that you were looking for.

Re. your last point, presumably an element of that is your choice i.e. you told your desk officer the sort of jobs that you were looking for.
To some extent there was some personal choice, but variety is also part of the 'offer.'
If I was told that I'd be going to Andover for the next 10 years I would leave.

Latest Threads