Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Euclid

War Hero
Who was his boss at the time? Carter?
How many other senior types are getting a bit nervous and twitchy..........

A number who put children through boarding school while owning a house that they occupied/ ‘didn’t occupy’ in Wiltshire, Dorset, Oxfordshire or Hampshire I would wager.

Service detention is probably more aimed at those offences peculiar to Service Law and for which there is no civilian law equivalent.
About 60% of MCTC population are there for AWOL.
About 25% are either thieves/fraudsters or violent.

Bodenplatte says in 1985 Andrew walker was the only one since ww2 to have lost his pension.

Sounds a bit like they are Army myths possibly with some confusion over immediate pensions.
and possibly not realising there's 2 sorts of pension forfeiture
The one mentioned, that is unique to (all/most?) Public Sector pensions, where the SofS can decide you've been well naughty and it should be taken which, as said, rarely happens

and the option available to any company pension to recover their losses from the pension if the employee has been convicted of an offence against them (eg fraud as in this case, theft, vandalism etc)

A number of comments about the FCO and their equivalent of CEA. To note, FCO education allowance is considerably more generous than the MOD's - about 25% more, c£32k now.

Rules for eligibility are considered more relaxed too - a claimant can start FCO CEA one academic term before an overseas posting; a single overseas assignment equates to 5 years of the allowance, even when posted back to UK.

Finally, the threshold for a 'hardship' post, and entitlement to "INVOLSEP" for FCO is much lower and that FCO HR are much more understanding of domestic needs and will authorise INVOLSEP when the MOD wouldn't

Difference is there are only around 400 claimants of FCO allowance versus around 3000 from MOD, noting that the FCO only employ around 4500 UK staff, I'd say they have a much better deal and a higher claim rate.

A number of comments about the FCO and their equivalent of CEA. To note, FCO education allowance is considerably more generous than the MOD's - about 25% more, c£32k now.

Rules for eligibility are considered more relaxed too - a claimant can start FCO CEA one academic term before an overseas posting; a single overseas assignment equates to 5 years of the allowance, even when posted back to UK.

Finally, the threshold for a 'hardship' post, and entitlement to "INVOLSEP" for FCO is much lower and that FCO HR are much more understanding of domestic needs and will authorise INVOLSEP when the MOD wouldn't

Difference is there are only around 400 claimants of FCO allowance versus around 3000 from MOD, noting that the FCO only employ around 4500 UK staff, I'd say they have a much better deal and a higher claim rate.
But they also have the lowest pay across Whitehall, to encourage them to serve overseas, presumably.

Your post is spot on; within those c.400 claimants includes some HO staff posted overseas too (when you go out to post an ECO or ILO, you effectively transfer to FCO T&Cs for the duration). The FCO can afford to be more generous and understanding because much smaller numbers claim CEA. My argument is that the MoD should confine CEA to its personnel posted to UK diplomatic posts and international organisations.

My argument is that the MoD should confine CEA to its personnel posted to UK diplomatic posts and international organisations.
And force out two thirds of dead wood SOs2 and 1 simply hanging on to put their kids through boarding school.

what’s not to like.

Unless his defence is something along the lines of "I was only doing what my then Boss had done and advised me was completely kosher".

Then things get sticky....
Who is the Queen using CEA for?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And force out two thirds of dead wood SOs2 and 1 simply hanging on to put their kids through boarding school.

what’s not to like.
The SO2 jobs need to be done. Many of the people who do them are very good at them.

You could go down the route if making them FTRS or civilianising them but then you run into problems of deployability.

The SO2 jobs need to be done. Many of the people who do them are very good at them.

You could go down the route if making them FTRS or civilianising them but then you run into problems of deployability.
And pension abatement.

Ah, the heady days of interim professionals on dayrate and dodgy umbrella companies.....

Thats alright A2_matelot came up with the great idea that those still serving can do extra tours/exercises because thats what they joined up for.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My answer to CEA and service kids education would be to have service a service school with branches in all the major military locations.

Kids could down pencils on Friday in Catterick and pick up pencils with the same syllabus, timetable, uniform in Cyprus or Colchester on Monday.

Boarding houses available for those garrisons too remote. Good teaching. Use of garrison facilities- sports etc.

Maybe even allow fee paying non pad brats.

My answer to CEA and service kids education would be to have service a service school with branches in all the major military locations.

Kids could down pencils on Friday in Catterick and pick up pencils with the same syllabus, timetable, uniform in Cyprus or Colchester on Monday.

Boarding houses available for those garrisons too remote. Good teaching. Use of garrison facilities- sports etc.

Maybe even allow fee paying non pad brats.
I think most if not all state boarding schools already have the same syllabus.

However there was a lot of gnashing of teeth and crying in here when I suggested sending pads brats to them.

Latest Threads