Interesting conundrem

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by chocolate_frog, Dec 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All,

A long time ago I experimented with a HDD configuration. Nothing lost, but I just fancy seeing if I can solve a fault with it.

Basically I took two 250gb HDD, put them together and made a 500gb, but partitioned this with a 50gb partition (C) for the various OS and software apps, with D being reserved for data.

Anyway, with use I noted that the computero n start up kept dumping files, eventually it asked for the code for windows, so I swapped out the HDD for a play with something else.

Now I have comeback around, as I am going to use the HDDs for something else, but before I unceremoniously wipe them, I was just wondering if somebody could give me a stear.

Basically, I have input the windows code, C is all up and working all data present. D is seen, but no data is retreivable and the drive is registered as 0bytes in size.

So has anyone got an idea on if I can restore this drive, or recover the data? Whilst I have this fault on the config I'd like to have a go at rectiying it as a project.... or should I just wipe them and install them in to my new SAN?

2. msr

msr LE

Way to many variables to be able to give you a sensible answer.

If you've got all your data backed up, pour yourself a glass of mulled wine, stick them in your NAS and enjoy the festivities :)

3. Hmmm,. Buy a new 640GB hard drive for £50. You sad twat.

4. msr

msr LE

You can get 1Tb for that!

Does that make me sad?

5. I rather fancied I made it clear in my post. I just fancy solving this little problem prior to wiping the drives.

If it is the opinion that it can't be fixed then I'll just just wipe them and stick them in the SAN (far better than a 640GB HDD by the way).

6. I don't think you'll be able to repair the raid config, assuming raid 0 as it has no parity info. You might be be able to recover the data using some third party party software, but as it's spread over both drives it'll probably either be pricey or very time consuming, i'd be tempted to just mag to grid unless it was full of top quality "gentlemans interest materials".
    Be interested if you find a solution.

7. Cheers fatboy, I was hoping someone would point me in a nice cheap 3rd party setup. But I think I'll just wipe it and reuse.