Interesting change in casualty reporting

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brandt, Feb 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone else noticed the change in casualty figures being reported this week? 2Lt Bracho-Cooke was reported as the 100th combat death in Iraq. Fair enough- it is a milestone.

However, all the news reports I have seen regarding the soldier's death yesterday have reported it as the 101st combat death, rather than the more usual 132nd death in service since operations began.

Call me Mr Cynical and tell me to go & get my tinfoil beret, but does anyone else suspect Downing St/ MOD press office of trying to get the combat death figure (which is lower) accepted as the reporting norm?

2. The figures are not only being changed but are disengenuous. Of the 152 British Forces personnel who have died since the start of the Iraq war, 52 died in ways other than directly at the hands of Iraqi forces.

Now, before anyone jumps down my throat - I am not trying to lessen these deaths as being anything else but tragic events, nor am I suggesting that there is somehow less chance of falling foul of a roadside bomb than is the case. But for the media to infer that they were killed by a vengeful force of insurgents is, in my opinion, wrong

3. Brandt wrote:
    "Call me Mr Cynical and tell me to go & get my tinfoil beret, but does anyone else suspect Downing St/ MOD press office of trying to get the combat death figure (which is lower) accepted as the reporting norm?"

Well of course no sensible and unbiased person who also wishes to know the truth would accuse you of wearing tin foil.
    In fact if you didn't express a healthy skepticism about anything coming from this government about the war there would be something wrong with you.

4. Here is what the MoD say about the 100th Combat Death the source, and here is Downing Streets take on it. Both came from searching the respective sites.

So, tin foil hats off, its all a MEDIA invention.

And SLRboy, You're talking drivel again

5. Sounds like a cynically clever Information Campaign,
    "don't lie but don't tell all the truth either! "

6. Bit rich coming from someone who thought the war in Iraq was good idea.
    Drop it sven, now - or continue it by PM. This thread isn't about us.