Interesting article on Bravo November, the only Chinook to get off Atlantic Conveyor

Although it's still out there earning its keep, I really hope that once retired, BN will be preserved at either RAF Museum Hendon or Cosford locations.

I recently watched Mike Brewer show where he was on board when it and the pilot were shot up.

It does show that, for all the p*ss taking about having the aerodynamic properties of a brick, the old wokka was a great combination of superb design and engineering.

I flew in it once down south after the ceasefire - when you could thumb a lift by just asking the loadie if there was room for a couple of passengers.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Minor pedantic point - the almost inimitable Dick Langworthy wasn't the boss of 18 Squadron in 1982; that was Tony Stables.¹

After the loss of the Atlantic Conveyor, and after Lin Middleton had been thwarted in his attempt to push BN over the side of Hermes, Stables allocated a team to operate BN and set up a small Chinook HQ in the settlement buildings at San Carlos. He managed the taskings of BN using the only form of comms available to him, namely an HF radio of dubious provenance which had been obtained from a Marine in exchange for a pair of flying gloves.

Dick Langworthy, sadly, died of a heart attack in 1983 while commanding the Chinook Det in the Falklands.

¹ 'Almost' because his twin brother, Bill, was just as much of a character, albeit a fast jet mate (and sometime member of the Red Arrows).

Minor pedantic point - the almost inimitable Dick Langworthy wasn't the boss of 18 Squadron in 1982; that was Tony Stables.¹

After the loss of the Atlantic Conveyor, and after Lin Middleton had been thwarted in his attempt to push BN over the side of Hermes, Stables allocated a team to operate BN and set up a small Chinook HQ in the settlement buildings at San Carlos. He managed the taskings of BN using the only form of comms available to him, namely an HF radio of dubious provenance which had been obtained from a Marine in exchange for a pair of flying gloves.

Dick Langworthy, sadly, died of a heart attack in 1983 while commanding the Chinook Det in the Falklands.

¹ 'Almost' because his twin brother, Bill, was just as much of a character, albeit a fast jet mate (and sometime member of the Red Arrows).
I served on 18 Sqn with BN during the Falklands and was part of the HQ at San Carlos.