• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Interesting article, is 5.56mm NATO fit for purpose ?

Interesting article, is 5.56mm NATO fit for purpose for operations in Afghanistan?
I think the article makes sense, but I doubt there will be any calibre changes to our main weapon until the SA80-A2 is due for review, which if i remember correctly, isn't for a few years.

LINK

Beerhunter said:
Just like many other weapons, the 5.56 mm NATO was designed for the war that we didn't fight - against the Soviet Union.
No, it was designed to kill people, regardless of nationality. Why we changed from 7.62 to 5.56 can be argued as to appease the Septics or because an individual can carry more 5.56 than 7.62.

MODs...how about a 5.56 vs 7.62 sticky so this can be debated ad nauseum in its own little hole? :roll:

...and another for the 6.5mm Grendell enthusiasts to argue why it is not simply a knock off of the .280 Enfield that never was but should have been.

AT55 said:
I wonder what happened to all those L4 LMGs that used to give good service for years and years and ......?
You have taken the word right out of my mouth. As a Section MG it was superior to the GPMG in many ways including weight and handling.

smudge67 said:
Beerhunter said:
AT55 said:
I wonder what happened to all those L4 LMGs that used to give good service for years and years and ......?
You have taken the word right out of my mouth. As a Section MG it was superior to the GPMG in many ways including weight and handling.
Hardly!
Do you mean that a GPMG is lighter than a Bren and doesn't have a dangly belt.

Beerhunter said:
smudge67 said:
Beerhunter said:
AT55 said:
Hardly!
Not at all. I am saying that the L7/L37 (and all it's other variants) are far superior to the Bren.

smudge67 said:
Beerhunter said:
smudge67 said:
Beerhunter said:
AT55 said:
Hardly!
Not at all. I am saying that the L7/L37 (and all it's other variants) are far superior to the Bren.
Ahhh but the Bren is prettier :D
And it used to come with a lovely little tracked Universal Carrier to save you the bother of carrying all those heavy bullet things.

jagman said:
smudge67 said:
Beerhunter said:
smudge67 said:
Beerhunter said:
AT55 said:
Hardly!
And it used to come with a lovely little tracked Universal Carrier to save you the bother of carrying all those heavy bullet things.
Oh good. A pretty weapon. Now it makes sense. Not. Are you a woman, or a hermer?

smudge67 said:
jagman said:
smudge67 said:
Beerhunter said:
smudge67 said:
Beerhunter said:
AT55 said:
Hardly!
Oh good. A pretty weapon. Now it makes sense. Not. Are you a woman, or a hermer?
Neither :D
But I did kinda anticipate this thread simply going over old ground and irrelevence.
5.56 is going to be around for a good while yet, whatever any report says.

Well, I repeatedly shot someone the otherday with 5.56 and he just kept getting back up, if it had been a 7.62 he would have gone down and stayed down, with just the grit splashed up from the round landing in front of him (may not have happened in real life).

Anyone rememmber the SMG? If you stood with a wet GS blanket, and fired at it the blanket would stop the bullets.... gen up.

I like these 'is 5.56mm good enough' threads, I think we should start a new one every day.

But the SLR could hit a frozen bison on the other side of the Atlantic and the round would come out the other side with enough power to kill an entire division.

I emptied an entire mag from an SA80 into a small frog from 8', even though it had 379 stoppages. The frog turned around, grabbed the rifle off me and hit me on the head with it. It didn't hurt though, all that plastic is really fragile. Not like the SLR, hewn from solid tungsten. I know someone that dropped one on their foot, it amputated their entire leg and left a crater in the ground the size of Arizona.

We used to insert a match...zzzzzzzz.

ottar said:
But the SLR could hit a frozen bison on the other side of the Atlantic and the round would come out the other side with enough power to kill an entire division.

I emptied an entire mag from an SA80 into a small frog from 8', even though it had 379 stoppages. The frog turned around, grabbed the rifle off me and hit me on the head with it. It didn't hurt though, all that plastic is really fragile. Not like the SLR, hewn from solid tungsten. I know someone that dropped one on their foot, it amputated their entire leg and left a crater in the ground the size of Arizona.

We used to insert a match...zzzzzzzz.
:clap: :boogie: :boogie:

If I drank coffee, my keyboard would be wrecked!

stoatman said:
I don't know, what about replacing it with .223 Remington with a steel-core 62 grain FMJBT?
No good Stoaty, 222 Rem Mag with an 80 grn bullet would be miles better. :wink:

On a more serious note, this argument is almost as old as the hills. It should be buried with full military honours and left alone.

Latest Threads