Interesting article, is 5.56mm NATO fit for purpose ?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by medic-matt, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting article, is 5.56mm NATO fit for purpose for operations in Afghanistan?
    I think the article makes sense, but I doubt there will be any calibre changes to our main weapon until the SA80-A2 is due for review, which if i remember correctly, isn't for a few years.

2. Oh, God. Not again!
  3. Just like many other weapons, the 5.56 mm NATO was designed for the war that we didn't fight - against the Soviet Union.
  4. No, it was designed to kill people, regardless of nationality. Why we changed from 7.62 to 5.56 can be argued as to appease the Septics or because an individual can carry more 5.56 than 7.62. about a 5.56 vs 7.62 sticky so this can be debated ad nauseum in its own little hole? :roll:
  5. ...and another for the 6.5mm Grendell enthusiasts to argue why it is not simply a knock off of the .280 Enfield that never was but should have been.
  6. I wonder what happened to all those L4 LMGs that used to give good service for years and years and ......?
  7. You have taken the word right out of my mouth. As a Section MG it was superior to the GPMG in many ways including weight and handling.
  8. Hardly!
  9. Do you mean that a GPMG is lighter than a Bren and doesn't have a dangly belt.
  10. Forgive me but you may have missed my point which was that it was adopted to fit the tactics that were extant during the Cold War.
  11. Not at all. I am saying that the L7/L37 (and all it's other variants) are far superior to the Bren.
  12. Ahhh but the Bren is prettier :D
    And it used to come with a lovely little tracked Universal Carrier to save you the bother of carrying all those heavy bullet things.
  13. Oh good. A pretty weapon. Now it makes sense. Not. Are you a woman, or a hermer?
  14. Neither :D
    But I did kinda anticipate this thread simply going over old ground and irrelevence.
    5.56 is going to be around for a good while yet, whatever any report says.
  15. I think you're right. I also think 5.56 is sufficient for ground troops.