Interesting article - Catterick views

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_C_Hinecap, Feb 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Telegraph today, 21 Feb.

Don't get caught: the Army's rule of engagement if having affairs
    (Filed: 21/02/2004)

Andrew Gimson seeks out opinions at Catterick Garrison

The outside world has absolutely no idea what Army life is like and should not be given the chance to read in the newspapers about adulterous sexual relationships between military personnel.

This was the unanimous view among soldiers in bars at Catterick Garrison in North Yorkshire, when asked how the Army's reputation might be affected by press reports of an employment hearing involving an affair between a female warrant officer and a cavalry major.

Monica Jefferies, who served seven years as an Army medic and now works for NHS Direct, said: "There are ways of being discreet. You can be shagging the colonel but the world does not need to know."

Miss Jefferies thought the Army had become more tolerant of sexual relations between people of different rank: "I don't think they're as strict as they used to be. When I joined as a private you didn't dare so much as look at a lance-corporal sideways. Now it's accepted. But if you get in that position I don't think you'd really want to pour your heart out to the papers."

A young infantryman from Liverpool who served in the Iraq war said no one outside the Army could know what it was like. "You live an Army life and you go home for five days and they just don't understand what you've seen.

"How can you lead a normal life after you've put someone's guts back in someone's stomach? We had to give first aid in the streets and there was this Iraqi woman who had nothing to do with it. That one, she died. Her arm was hanging off and her guts were hanging out and she had a baby with her.

"When you go home they say, 'Oh, did you kill someone?' They think it's like off the films. People don't understand how much blood you see when you've been shot. One of our lads, a young officer, was shot. They reckon it was a sniper. He got shot in the front, it ricocheted round his body and took one of his buttocks off. The blood just poured out and out.

"The first time I carried a body bag with someone inside it you hear this noise, swish, swish. You think, what is it? It's the blood swishing about in the bag. It is disturbing. And you're expected to carry on."

The infantryman said Army life, with its long separations, has a catastrophic effect on marriages. "I would never get married in the Army. When the husbands are away all the wives come down here [to the bars in Catterick Garrison] and you think, 'If I was married, that could be my wife'. Don't bring your wife to the garrison. Leave her at home.

"I'm not saying everyone does, but a lot of them do sleep with someone else. There's no written rule, but there's an unwritten rule for me and my mates, you'll not sleep with the same battalion's wives. If she takes you to her house the first thing you look at is the photos [to see if her husband is a comrade]."

Several squaddies said they were tempted to get someone pregnant and get married so they could move out of barracks, where they live four to a room, into married quarters.

But they all admitted divorce was rife. A young squaddie described how, just before he returned from a six-month tour of duty, his 19-year-old girlfriend rang and said she did not want to see him. He discovered she is three months pregnant by another squaddie she says she does not love.

A taxi driver who recently left the Royal Logistics Corps said that during his 16 years' service he was married twice and divorced twice. He has an eight-year-old son by one of these marriages and a child by the woman with whom he now lives, who also has two children of her own.

He wants to see the eight-year-old, who lives only three miles away. "But my ex-wife, she's still bitter and says he doesn't want to see me. When I talk about going to law so I can see him she says he starts wetting the bed and that. So I think I'll just have to wait."

A man who joined the Royal Army Medical Corps at the age of 17 and is now 22 said: "The Army is a single man's job. I don't believe anyone not in the Army will understand. The rule is not to be caught.

"The journalists' view of the Army is of a load of meatheads who can drink a lot. But you're still a human being, you've still got human values."

8O Overall, IMHO, not a bad article - but isn't it the same for civvies having affairs? Don't get caught? Don't do it in the 1st place, but do civvies do it to get caught? Strange point to lead with.

2. From the outside looking in, and as a general consensus in my office, we thought it a load of crap that anyone in the 21st century should have their sex life and sexual exploits posted over the national newspapers.

We marry/are attracted to like minded peeps, if this woman felt exploited, regardless of the rank issue, she had the option to go or to report him.

By the sounds of things she didn't seem to 'pressurised', a short fling, perhaps she could have used that as an excuse, but this was an ongoing affair!

Doctors and nurses are attracted to each other, police officers, fire-fighters, B&Q staffers... the reason is simple they each understand the world the other exists in. Birds of a feather and all.

Maybe I’m being thick, but I can't see the problem, what was the issue really? Any explanations welcome! :?

3. Sorry, can't provide an explanation as to why you are thick BBC, however, the female WO2 involved only has herself to blame for her current predicament. She obvioulsy likes sex and with more than one partner. Yep, we'd all like a bit on the side and would take it if we knew we weren't going to be caught, but this lass got carried away. It's unfair that she was to be treat differently to the officer, but hey, that's her problem not ours eh? I'll bet the feminists have a different view, but they're just dried up old lezzers and we're in the Army and we don't care. I'll say one thing though.....her girlfreind is fat.

4. Perhaps I didn't clarify what mystified me Baddass; what about the situation makes it national news?

She obviously likes sex and with more than one partner.

......And this is unique to this case? By your own admission if you could guarantee you'd get away with it you'd be tempted.

But this lass got carried away.

......In what way? I thought the whole affair came to light when her husband caught them.

It's unfair that she was to be treat differently to the officer, but hey, that's her problem not ours eh?

......Is it? You think that if the boot was on the other foot and it had been a male WO2 and a female officer this would make headlines? I wonder. As to it being her problem, maybe today, but don't issues such as these tend to have a knock on effect and the ramifications extend a little like ripples.

5. I never commented on why it made the national news. In my experience however, it always does, because scandal amongst the country's elite sells papers. Given that the Army has been in the papers on a daily basis for one reason or another since GW2 kicked of and before, Army stories sell. The morbid little minds of you civilians loves it. You couldn't do without it, sat in your litle Coronation St. houses.

As the morales of you civilians are so low that you could walk under a snakes belly whilst wearing a top hat, the Army is viewed by many (possibly not you deary) as the last bastion of decency and the press love to attack us.

What has my 'admission' got to do with anything? I made the comment to set a point. You're obviously not sharp enough to get it love.

She did get carried away. Her husband caught her twice with different blokes. I'd say she was less that discreet........wouldn't you? Nah, probably not, sorry if I over estimated you sweetie.

As far as the 'boot being on the other foot' goes........you've obvioulsy missed the other press articles concerning 'the boot being on the other foot'.

Been 'fcked over' by a squaddie have we?... and still bitter about it? Thought so. Your post smacks of it. Saddo. Go and get yourself a boyfreind and stop giving us your grief. None of us married you so why hold us responsible?

Now, I don't believe that your are a serving soldier nor is there any evidence to suggest that you are a former soldier, so why are you so het up about this issue?

You're not her fat girfreind are you?

6. Bit harsh Baddass. Whats up? Get out of bed the wrong way????

7. OH !! Badarrse, leave her alone, she's going out with Martin.

8. Baddass, nothing I posted was meant to be personal, however,

Given that the Army has been in the papers on a daily basis for one reason or another since GW2 kicked of and before, Army stories sell.

Point of propaganda? Yes, the British public love nothing more than a good sex scandal, if however this had not been the forces it wouldn't have had the run it is having.
    If GW2 were not running I wonder how long, or the inches attributed received would have differed.

As the morals of you civilians are so low that you could walk under a snakes belly whilst wearing a top hat, the Army is viewed by many as the last bastion of decency

Perhaps, or perhaps not, but is the fact that my original posting on this thread gave my view that,

From the outside looking in, we thought it a load of crap that anyone in the 21st century should have their sex life and sexual exploits posted over the national newspapers.

Not a moral judgement just an observation.

What has my 'admission' got to do with anything? I made the comment to set a point.

As was mine, but obviously you have the superior stance as you are of a more moral breed, and a noble professional. Hmmmmm, does it then follow all civilians have low morals? Point to ponder as you look at the civilian relations’ maybe? Or not!

Her husband caught her twice with different blokes. I'd say she was less that discreet........Wouldn’t you?

Personally what would I say? I’d say she was a splapper, if you commit to a marriage/relationship and no longer feel it is what you want you walk away, regardless, you walk away.

As far as the 'boot being on the other foot' goes........You’ve obviously missed the other press articles concerning 'the boot being on the other foot'.

I do have a vague recollection of several 'army scandals' over the years, but doesn't it out my point this is being played as major? Ref. back to propaganda issue.

Been 'fcked over' by a squaddie have we?... and still bitter about it? Thought so. Your post smacks of it. Saddo. Go and get yourself a boyfriend and stop giving us your grief. None of us married you so why hold us responsible?

As I said, none of my thoughts are personal.

Now, I don't believe that your are a serving soldier nor is there any evidence to suggest that you are a former soldier, so why are you so het up about this issue?

I'm sorry, am I missing this issue here? Whether I am or ever was a serving member of the forces has a weighing on the validity of my comments how?
    Het up about the issue? Not really, just that the newspapers seem to be dragging the moral of members of the forces into the gutter along with them. Defensive of the forces? Perhaps. Do I have to justify that? Or do you feel that you are singularity in all its forms? Strange stance to take.

So tell me what rank are you that you feel it is,
    from that statement you are a ranking officer. I should have thought that all-public support that the private affairs of you and your fellow officers would be welcomed.

9. Do you all think I REALLY look 22? Gosh Thanks!

10. No, fat and ugly (and a window licker to boot).

11. Oh GH U have a very recent snap of me, not taken by my sister as i sat infront of the screen, head and shoulders shot is it?

12. The one on the pig board.

13. That was me. What are you trying to say like????

14. Back on topic or we go to the NAAFI.

15. No not that one, the one Dale has, of ..... oh wait that was YOU!