Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Interesting ammo find

These recently came into my possession, I think that they are 8mm Mannlicher. They are all fairly ancient, but the oldest one has a date stamp of 1916!

Attachments

• 20180623_152429.jpg
    20180623_152429.jpg
    757 KB · Views: 155
  • 20180623_152555.jpg
    20180623_152555.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 159
  • 20180623_152750.jpg
    20180623_152750.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 141
not too sure. The bloke who gave it to me had no idea what it is and my quick search through my books revealed nothing so I turned to the internet. As I have successfully misplaced my calipers I cant get a decent case length measurement. However my other device placed the bullet diameter at 8 mm.
Just had another gander at a German website, it would appear that it must be 8 x 50 R as the 56 had a pointy bullet, which was introduced in 1930, clearly some time after the rd second from left in the last picture.

Last edited:
Seek and ye shall find, or it helps to put tools back where they belong. Duh. So looks like 8x50R

Attachments

• 20180624_221935.jpg
    20180624_221935.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 51
3round berthier chargers with the case head grooved to allow pointed bullets in the lebel tube magazines. The solid bronze bullets are well made usually

I remember recovering many such rounds over the years. We never identify them or even count them. Recovered SAA was divided into LV and HV and accounted for by weight (max 19kg in H83). It then gets disposed through Shoeburyness at about £100/Kg.

The exception was pinfire SAA which was never recovered, but destroyed.

I remember recovering many such rounds over the years. We never identify them or even count them. Recovered SAA was divided into LV and HV and accounted for by weight (max 19kg in H83). It then gets disposed through Shoeburyness at about £100/Kg.

The exception was pinfire SAA which was never recovered, but destroyed.

Never say never dingerr :)

You would be surprised what used to get delivered - we had a few WTF moments :)

Never say never dingerr :)

You would be surprised what used to get delivered - we had a few WTF moments :)

There was an issue in 11 Regt regarding pinfire being returned, there was another regarding Hotchkiss fuzes.

As technicians we should be able to come up with a safe system to pack and return pinfire, it’s a pain the get rid of.

I'm going into the woods with a revolver, I may be some time.

[watches @Bacongrills disappear down a woodland track carrying a bottle of whisky, an Enfield No.2 Mk.1 and a single round of .38 Special, safe in the knowledge that he'll be back in the morning with a stonking hangover]

:p

(yes, I am a cnut. But you knew that anyway :D )