Interested in site function? "Your Account" module

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by tester!, Sep 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We're currently discussing the upgrade of "Your Account" with the software developers. I have a couple of issues which I would like to solve, mainly:

- password recovery is awkward and confusing.

- Your Account pages are confusing with wierd things like "My Home Page Options".

- Lots of ARRSE users aren't regular forum users and we often get 'how do I upload an avatar' etc, The registration process should walk you through these.

- It should look better. Pretty icons and so on.

Would anyone like to add anything to that, particularly if you regularly use other forum / member sites.

"Your Account" handles registration, login, then all the options you see in the menu on the right of the "Your Account" pages.

Thanks.

2. tester is Good CO testing alter ego - away from my usual PC and can't remember my Good CO password!

3. Tried using the password recovery feature? ;)

4. Interesting point - I thought of that and decided "fck that for a game - I'll stay as tester". A good indication we have work to do!

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

A quick bump on this in case tester wasn't worth responding to. I'm sure some of you must have more complaints than my comments above, and some 'what would be useful is...' from experiences on other sites. I know the whole registration / user information thing is not the most exciting bit of the site's function, but it is quite an important one.

Any input appreciated.

6. Could we have a "new posts" link on ALL pages please, including PM inbox etc and A/C details?

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

A bit off-topic, but sorted. Under 'ARRSE Essentials' next to 'Last 50'. Need to be logged in.

8. Tester stroke GoodCo, sounds a bit more perverse then Tester/GoodCO...

On the last x posts funtionality, is there any possibility to add in a similar but custom last 50 search?

Thinking along the lines of Logged In members can construct their "Custom Last 50" based on selecting which forums that they would want to read posts from.

Obviously needs a User page (controlled through checkboxes?) to supply the variables for the php - not sure what the indexing impact would be though!

AB

9. Good CO. Some of the other forums I use have a feature that adds the text string "Thread Starter" under the Avatar of, well, the thread starter.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=790854

shows someone called Corrode starting the thread. Every subsequent post he makes has the "Thread Starter" piece attached to it.

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while.

10. This doesn't seem to be working for me. It's as though it thinks I've only just logged in and that there are no new posts.

11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for that - now sorted

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Simple enough to do, but is it useful? Also I'm thinking of emails with "why does it say threads starter under my name?", "what's a thread?". Mmmm.... any more opinions on this? Pointless distraction or useful feature?

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

We will be getting 'watch this forum' with the next software upgrade or earlier, which would remove the need for this I think. Nice idea though.

14. probaly if the threads get merged, be loads of thread starters in the big ones.

15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Could the "Sixty's Last 10 Forum Topics:" link on the account page be amended so that I could see either more or less than the 10?

Handy if you're trying to find an old topic that you started ages ago but understandably of little use to newer members.