Interested in Scotland?, where its been, is and going.

Scotland's History... and the pursuit of happiness

"We are looking at a period of 400 years within which Scotland is a country punching above its weight – internationally dynamic in terms of industry, ideas and sheer get up and go, but that as we'll see was part of the problem.

"The country was transformed from a poor northern backwater with a serious image problem into one of the richest nations on Earth. Atlantic trade kick-started a profound economic transformation and provided the foundations for huge social change and rapid industrialisation with Scotland contributing new ideas and modern thinking through the Enlightenment, and then latterly becomes a major industrial player.

"Scotland burst into this modern world with a bang, but on the home front there was a cost...

"Scotland makes its mark on the world but she does it by exporting her most valuable commodities - her people and ideas."
So, draw some of your best Malt, wear one of your Mrs' skirts, eat some mince wrapped in offal followed by a deep fried Mars bar and sit back and enjoy.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fallschirmjager said:
I thought Scotland had a good history of sucking up to the French. They've lost most of their wars as well!
Well we enjoyed winning the one where the French and Scots were on the same side so much we spun it out for the full 116 years.

Sixty said:
No, it's the second series of the programme (the one on YouTube is the first which concentrated on 800 - 1400 CE roughly).

Although why C_F chose to post in Books and Lit is slightly baffling.....
Where else could I put it?

It isn't quite Military History and Militaria is it? I suppose Multinational HQ :D

chocolate_frog said:
Sixty said:
No, it's the second series of the programme (the one on YouTube is the first which concentrated on 800 - 1400 CE roughly).

Although why C_F chose to post in Books and Lit is slightly baffling.....

It isn't quite Military History and Militaria is it? I suppose Multinational HQ :D
Well how about here

Films, Music and All Things Artsy since it is a tv series
:lol:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
chocolate_frog said:

Film, Music and all things Artsy?

Seriously though, cheers for posting. It's been intermittently advertised up here but I didn't know the official broadcast date.

The last series was very good and laid a few myths to rest. It benefited from being a fairly serious historical series (albeit with a lightweight presenter) rather than a 'wha's like us' triumphalism.

Re the Hundred (116) Years War,

What was Scotlands input?

Let's see... hmmm,

Oh, yes, the French were so sh1tting themselves that the English were coming they asked the Scots to intervene and tie up the English Army in Britian. Thus allowing a defence of France to be mustered, as the defences had been sorely misfinanced during the an period of armistice that the English used to remuster and rearm.

The battle was near Durham and was a 1 - 0 victory for the home team (ie England). Even with the vast majority of Englands fighting men in Calais or the South of England.

William Zouche (as in Ashby al a Zouche) defeated 12,000+ Jocks with less than 7,000 English. 2/3rd of the Scots would be killed or wounded that day, in return for 100 English (largely due to good Longbow men) and the Scots King himself would be captured, and held for 18 years. Mainly after he was abandoned by his nobles, who legged it when the stalemate finally broke, the Scots charged (which fell to disarray) under the same sort of treatment the French got at Agincourt and Clercy.

A fair few Scots Nobles died that day also. Arrows obviously being marked 'to whom it may concern'.

Anyway... you were saying something about the Scots being in the same colours as the winning team for the Guerre de Cent Ans.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
chocolate_frog said:

Probably just the Battle of Baugé and being a threat to your northern border if we're being honest.

Sixty said:
chocolate_frog said:

Probably just the Battle of Baugé and being a threat to your northern border if we're being honest.
True, also a good show for the Scots in that they fought on a ground where the English Longbow men were unable to be brought to the fore....

of course 6,000+ to 2,000- is pretty unsporting :D

Worth remembering at this point that both Scotland and Englands royalty and nobility were mainly French (hence the English Archbishop La Zouche and the Scots de la Hay) lines.