Interested in becoming Ammo Tech after uni

Discussion in 'RLC' started by DH24, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently a student and wanting to do something useful for a good portion of my life went onto the army careers website and found ammo technicians, reading the description I notice this bit

"They should also display a genuine interest in weapons, ammunition and explosives."

Now I expect this to get me some flak but I have to admit I am interested in the mechanical aspects of firearms and the idea of job involving disposing of stuff via explosion is also quite appealing.

Having read a thread a few pages back it seems that once out of the service ammo techs can get very well paying jobs using the skills they have.

My question is how much demand is there for ammo techs currently? Given the current operations in Afghanistan and Iraq I wouldn't be surprised if there were more call for combat troops...

Anyway my main query is in demand for them, what the initial stages of the recruitment process is like/what you're expected to do in your first few days and what ammo techs do on operations?

2. There is a massive demand for Ammo Techs, we are severly undermanned.

There are plenty of threads/info on here. Try a search and much should be answered.

If you are at Uni, why not go Officer? If you are commissioned into the RLC you can still do the ATO's course. The diffierence being that as an Ammo Tech you will spend your whole career in Ammunition, where as an Officer you will soend a couple of years, then go and do something else.

BTW the info you received is a little misleading, we don't really touch weapons per se, but a passing interest can more than help you in later jobs.

Wherever you are in the country there will be an EOD Tp near you that you could visit and speak to Ammo Techs, just ask your ACIO and they should be able to fix it up.

3. I'm in Manchester, a very quick google brings up a lot of stuff about 521 Sqn but nothing about exact location. I suppose I'd get better info popping into the careers office near St Peter's square.

Officer was a route I was considering seeing as I would be a graduate, but unfortunately my degree is somewhat misguided in animation, long story short is that the course is crap and I think I'd enjoy being in the military more than struggling to get into a very cliquey industry with a degree that's not worth the paper its printed on. So I'm not sure if this has any bearing on wanting to be an officer.

I take it the fitness requirements are the same for making sure you are suitable for military service? If I recall its something like 2 miles (inclusive of an 800m risk reduction run) done in 12 min (inclusive of the break between RRR and actual run) then 40 sit ups and press ups in 2 minutes each and from there basic training is supposed to bring you up to the next standard?

4. Chester Troop is your local Troop. Although Squadron HQ is Catterick.

Fitness requirments are not different to anyone else.

If you've got a crap degree no better place to use it than the Army. Unless you are in the first year of a degree it would be waste to throw away what you have already done.

5. We could do with a few more 'animated' Officers.......

6. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I've seen quite a few guys join up post degree as AT's. Just because they didn't pass RCB they were not put off.

7. I was interested in joining the RMP before, but then the army careers center told me that i would be better if i was to do a Techi job. Then i came up with the idea of doing Aircraft Tech but they said that as i wanted to travel while i was serving and am also into sports that RLC would be the better choice of regiments not for the sport as REME was/is good for sport but travel is better in RLC and also if i did something like Ammo Tech i would get everything that i am looking for so now i am looking at that!

I was just wondering what options this career offers for Civi Street as i know what Aircraft Tech offers but havent got a clue about this, also Whats it like being in the RLC do you get chances to do sports and travel?

8. Just think of the murals he could paint on the blast walls or ISO containers

9. Where have I heard that before?????? lol

There are a lot of lying scumbags out there who will put any person in any job if their performance targets told them to......

I'm sorry, you'll have to take everything they say with a pinch of salt and try and gleen information from as many sources as you can.

Arrange a liaison visit with your local unit. They DO happen, don't let the ACIO tell you otherwise.

10. 4 out of the 16 on my course had degrees, there's loads of em about

11. Sorry to revive an old thread (before anyone asks what I'm doing not joined yet I'm still in uni :p ) but I've got a few more questions, hopefully they'll be seen as sensible.

As I understand it, you will spend at least 39 weeks in 'basic' (both the Pirbright 14 weeks and 25 weeks trade training) and after that you're a Class 2 AT and ready to be deployed as and when needed (or at least in line with any operational tour rota there is in the wider scheme of things), correct so far?

Now, going off the army jobs site it seems that Class 2s deal with 'small bangs' as it were. I've read on here that not all ATs go on to drive Wheelbarrows and could very well be relabelling ammo tins in a bunker somewhere but what I really want to know is what do Class 2s do when deployed?

Again my understanding is that they'd be responsible for ensuring that ammunition is stored correctly so a case of 40mm shells for example doesn't start cooking off because someone left it in the sun. Or another example I've seen was on a recent program on 5 centred around the RAF Reg at Khandahar where the laundry workers found a number of rounds over the course of the day with the laundry manager saying that these would be passed onto ATs for disposal.

Assuming that you show a competency for your job you then apparently take a course about 2-3 years later to get a Class 1 qualification, I take it after this point it is when you will most likely in an operational sense be digging pits to fill with captured enemy ordnance and making big bangs with them, driving wheelbarrows or having to don the green armour suit wherever you're needed as well as all the stuff you did as a Class 2.

If I'm asking questions which might affect OPSEC then I'm sure I'll be told but I'm just keen to know what ATs do on a day to day basis domestically and when on operations.

12. The AT job is many & varied regardless of rank, and the breadth of the task is expanding almost daily.

As an ATII you will probably end up doing a range of tasks both "bangy" and "boxy" - you need to be good at both and neither are as boring or as exiciting as they may seem!

The trade has at long last recognised that ATs need both depot and disposal experience and you will probably get a dose of both. The chances of a hot & dusty tour are a flat certainty, and inspecting a mortar pit in a FOB can get as exciting as being a member of a JSEOD team.

If you are any good, then opportunities will quickly start to present themselves....

13. I was wondering where those rounds went. I deliberately left them in a pair of shitted keks in the hope that they would go bang in the tumble dryer. You can only imagine how disappointed I am to fnd out that they were handed in to an AT. The correct course of action (on the part of the grundy washers )would have been to find the nearest poo burning area and thrown them in there to liven up the 'duty poo burners' day. Ammo is there for everyones enjoyment and we should spread the love.

14. ATs are responsible for explosive safety. I will not deny there are dull aspects to the job, but there is great variety.

When you complete the Basic AT course you will probably be assigned to ATSG or 11 EOD Regt.

ATSG is primarily Depot work and you inspect, repair and repack ammunition. This can range from small arms ammunition to guided weapons. You may also be involved in storage and legislation issues. This is the bread and butter of an AT and is the basis from which you can build on.

11 EOD Regt is the main employer of ATs and is responsible for providing approximately 90% of EOD assets in the UK. Wherever you are posted within 11 Regt you will assist a SNCO AT or an ATO. You will not work alone on or with ammunition whilst a LCpl AT and rarely as a Cpl AT.

In both instances there is opportunity to undertake explosive demolitions, monitor guided weapons firings and undertake tours.

Tours will normally be broken into two types. CSAD and EOD. CSAD deals with the storage of ammuntion and helping units store their ammunition safely it also concentrates on the main storage facility, wherever that may be.

If you do an EOD tour then you will train as a No2 (driving wheelbarrow - or more likely cutlass in your case) before deploying.

You will attend the Class 2 to Class 1 upgrading after approximately two years as an AT. This will qualify you to run an ammunition process building and conduct certain unit inspections.

Promotion to Sgt is pretty quick. Once a Sgt you will undertake Unit Inspections, Monitor Missile firings (and other expensive ammo items) and a multitude of other ammo related tasks.

IEDD can only be conducted by a Sgt or above you must first pass the Joint Service IEDD course, this will permit you to workin the UK (including NI now) and other permissive environments (i.e no one is targetting you).

There is much much more to the trade. Some of which won't mean much to you now and some that can't be disclosed in an open forum.

15. or....you could join the RLC, do a Tp Commanders job and apply for the Officer Petroleum Course, do 9 months of in-depth Petroleum Training including 2 months at Shrivenham doing some physics and chemistry stuff (which you will find out is totally useless in your career), start a few pumps and roll a few tanks, leaving the course with PI after your name.

You will then get posted to a Petroleum Sqn and get told on Day 1 by the PetOp SNCO/WO.. "Sir, Maam your here to make the Tp look good in the OC's eyes and write my SJAR, nothing more. Stay in the office till i tell you"!!