Interactions Between Allied Troops

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Chief_Joseph, Jun 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if anyone has any interesting stories about experiences with troops from other countries either in the field or otherwise (ie, british experience with americans, american experience with brits, anyone's experience with someone else)

2. I was deployed in support of the KFOR mission towards the end of 2000 through the first few months of 2001. If memory serves me right, elements of PWRR , RIH and RM were part of the Commanders theatre reserve. I was stuck in a "Firebase" by the Prescivo (Sic) Valley in a town named Zegra, we had named it "Bastard Base" . A contingent of the reserve force was deployed there to help deny border crossings by the local ex KLA types to the UCPMB terrorists on the Serb side of the border. The Brit forces were very professional and a good bunch of fellas (unlike some of the US SOF types who had been previously). went on a few patrols into the Mountains with the PWRR and a few TCP type things in the local villages. A real eye opener on the professionalism of realtively junior rank troops and the degree of trust and responsibility given to them.

3. My battalion was deployed to the Sinai for MFO duties in '86-'87. Truly a multinational effort. Our Force Commander was Norwegian and the Force Sergeant Major was the Former RSM of a battalion of the Royal Tank Regiment. Both of them were very nice guys and quite adept at crossing cultural divides. There were eleven nationalities represented and I don't recall there being any friction.

We infantrymen spent our time divided between basecamps (where we pulled lots of guard and working details when we weren't training) and Observation Posts. My OP was a Sector Control Center. We had a fuel farm, microwave communications section and any first line support for our sector. Needless to say, we saw a good bit of traffic.

Once, we had an Uruguayan engineer platoon camp out with us so they could do admin tasks (preventative maintenance, cleaning etc.). My buddy and I were the nominal cooks for the OP so we whipped up a few cheesecakes to be friendly. Those guys were ecstatic. They were quite friendily disposed towards us after that and shared a few specialties in return. One was matay (sp?), a South American tea made from coca leaves. The other was several bottles of Johnnie Walker red label.

I drank kava with the Fijians, wine with Italians, beer with the Dutch and drove the French contingents Blazer through the desert for fun with their permission. Those six months were some of the best times of my military jaunt.

MFO, Sinai

4. Yanks learned the lesson of getting signatures for kit in Macedonia in 2001 - Over 300 camp cots liberated - Grumpy QM made everyone give them back though.

5. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

On Exercise Amber Hope in 2003 in Lithuania, my platoon was attached to a Finnish Army Coy. This was great as far as we were concerned as it meant we got to ride around in Fuchs APC's and look hard on pics with 12.7mm machine guns! Anyway the memory that sticks with me was the riot training which was rather different to the way we do it. The finns do it with H&S ever present, some officer shouting STOOOP as soon as it got good! Not being the smallest of individuals, myself and one other hefty fella decided to show them a few tricks we have picked up when we were the Opfor on this phase. After chucking wood, stones and verious other stuff at them for a few minutes, my and my mate charged their line scattering them like skittles. We all went down in a tangle, and one Finn leapt on top of me, yelling to his mates "I GOT ONE, I GOT ONE!"
    This rapidly changed as i got my footing back...
    "I GOT ONE, I GOT ONE, I...HE GOT ME, HE GOT ME!!" as i sprinted back to our lines with him slung over my shoulder..."STOOOP!"

All in all a top exercise. As representatives of the British Army we seemed to be looked up to by most of the other nations involved, despite we were the only reservist unit there. As we used our own RoE, we were often the first unit called to flashpoints, as we were more than willing to get stuck in!

6. I spent 2 weeks in El Paso with the maint company. They were excellent hosts and really looked after us well.

Unfortunately we had not been such good hosts when they had visited us in Bulford (AMF Log Bn).

I really think it is something we Brits do poorly at, mainly because we don't seem to plan until the last minute.

Even blokes on Long Look get hammered with work when the Brits that go to Aus/NZ get given a hire car and loads of time off.

7. Amber poop 2weeks of stag and cleaning guns Fins were a good laugh though there apcs were much admired almost as much as some of the female drivers . :D .

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Allied troops?

In 87 I was on HMS SWIFT . Did a trip from Hong Kong, via Okinawa and Korea to Japan.

Alongside in Korea, the authorities laid on a bus that went straight from the docks to Texas Street ( all same-same Bugis Street/The Strip/Patpong Road/red-light district anywhere.

Cross to the Land of the Rising Sun, and into the Inner Sea of Japan.

Followed a Japanese minesweeper in through a strait called the Kanmon Kaikyo. She signalled the turns by flag-hoist. I counted between 20 and 30 contacts on the radar, ALL underway in a five mile radius.

Alongside in Kure, two of us took the train along the coast and visited Hiroshima. In the memorial book at the end of the Bomb Museum tour a Korean guy had written 'Japan, you had it coming'

Just two small patrol craft rafted up in an American Naval base called Sasebo. When we tied up, first US visitors were a camera crew from the Naval base's TV station. I asked the camera op what his normal job was - turned out that was his trade :D

They supplied us with a minibus and two US Navy 'sedans' to get around in...bearing in mind we were there for maybe three days in all. I still have my US Govt Motor Vehicles Operative licence :)

Sasebo is one of the smaller USN bases - two restaurants, a bowling alley , a theatre, its own baseball team (Sasebo Pirates) and 3,500 people.

We played volleyball with the Japanese Navy - all their guys were six foot and fit as feck....ours was a scratch side who hadn't played together before...they trashed us. All martial arts experts too.

Then we got bussed into Nagasaki. Lunch on a JMSDF cruiser - green tea and tempura. The RN think all they do with their time is clean ship all day, every day...... well, that Japanese ship glittered. As did the little auxillary oiler alongside.

When we left, Jap Naval band playing Col Bogey's March - oh how we laughed.

'Horse racing' and a BBQ in half an oil drum on the after deck as the ships moved over the long Pacific swell....the chinese crewmen clattering their mah-jong tiles and the Brits cussing them trying to watch a video....my wasted youth!

Le Chevre

9. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Gorgeous werent they? :D

10. I spent two years on exchange with the US Army. A few tales there but I will stick just with a story I told them at my leaving do which I felt beautifully explained the differences;

There were 3 generals walking across the lawn at NATO headquarters in Brussels, late one evening, after a good dinner in the Mess.
    They saw a light on in an office.

The American general thought;
    "Hua ! Outstanding ! Bob is really putting the hours in. That's a high-flier to be promoted."

The French general thought;
    "Aha ! Ze rumours are true. Bob is shagging his clerk."

The British general thought;
    "Um. Bob is obviously having difficulty with his job. We will have to replace him."

11. :D :D