Intelligent soldiers most likely to die in battle

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Old_Reprobate, Dec 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cos I is cleever Igot shot i fort iwus cos tdat iroyish blook didnyt lik mee

2. Probably got a greater self preservation than their intellectual counterparts

3. Can we bring that old adage of 'intelligence but no common sense' into play here? ;)

4. Greater sense of honour and duty?

5. The IQ gap they cited in that study wasn't very big, just a few points. It would seem odd to draw a big conclusion from it.

6. Good point, it's probably not statistically significant and even if it was it's more likley coincidence. Its nevertheless an interesting topic.

7. It's true, they can't run so fast because their daysacks are filled with books.

8. Just adds to the old saying of "lies, damned lies, and statistics"

9. Not "Ruperts" but Nigels.
    God knows what a universal IQ test would uncover in today's Scotland...

10. Whilst the stats may be correct, I suspect the answer, as the article infers, is more to do with the roles in which intelligent men served.

The more intelligent servicemen would have ended up as officers, NCOs or in the Grim Reaper of the 1930s grammar-school generation - RAF Bomber Command. Successive studies have shown that casualty rates in these groups were especially high in WWII.

This came home to roost after the war, with about 150000 of Britains brightest, committed and altruistic future middle-managers dead on the Battlefield.

11. Were IQ tests used to select recruits in WWII? I can see the need in more technical branches- eg Bomber navigators but what about infantry?
    The popular conception is of thick, rich, kids chosen on Character and parental wealth. "Unicorns almost"

12. The average would be 100. That's the way it works.

Agreed.

13. I also heard that stress reduces IQ. i would suspect that many of those who fought in WWII were 'somewhat stressed' after, which may explain what is seen in this report.

14. I disagree. If the stats were published in a quality journal (which Intelligence is) then they would have been significant. Significance and effect size are also different things. And when calculating significance, chance is also taken into the consideration.

Also, the data they used has also been used to draw conclusions on the role between intelligence and dementia, and also if intelligence is fluid (i.e. changes over the life span) or constant, or if it naturally declines. Almost 500 participants is quiet a lot.

I'm going to be geeky and try and get hold of the original article, too :)