Intelligent soldiers most likely to die in battle

Cos I is cleever Igot shot i fort iwus cos tdat iroyish blook didnyt lik mee

Probably got a greater self preservation than their intellectual counterparts

Greater sense of honour and duty?

interestednovice said:
The IQ gap they cited in that study wasn't very big, just a few points. It would seem odd to draw a big conclusion from it.
Good point, it's probably not statistically significant and even if it was it's more likley coincidence. Its nevertheless an interesting topic.

It's true, they can't run so fast because their daysacks are filled with books.

Whilst the stats may be correct, I suspect the answer, as the article infers, is more to do with the roles in which intelligent men served.

The more intelligent servicemen would have ended up as officers, NCOs or in the Grim Reaper of the 1930s grammar-school generation - RAF Bomber Command. Successive studies have shown that casualty rates in these groups were especially high in WWII.

This came home to roost after the war, with about 150000 of Britains brightest, committed and altruistic future middle-managers dead on the Battlefield.

Were IQ tests used to select recruits in WWII? I can see the need in more technical branches- eg Bomber navigators but what about infantry?
The popular conception is of thick, rich, kids chosen on Character and parental wealth. "Unicorns almost"

gennithmedic said:
God knows what a universal IQ test would uncover in today's Scotland...
The average would be 100. That's the way it works.

Dragstrip said:
interestednovice said:
The IQ gap they cited in that study wasn't very big, just a few points. It would seem odd to draw a big conclusion from it.
Good point, it's probably not statistically significant and even if it was it's more likley coincidence. Its nevertheless an interesting topic.
Agreed.

I also heard that stress reduces IQ. i would suspect that many of those who fought in WWII were 'somewhat stressed' after, which may explain what is seen in this report.

Joe_Private said:
gennithmedic said:
God knows what a universal IQ test would uncover in today's Scotland...
The average would be 100. That's the way it works.

Dragstrip said:
interestednovice said:
Agreed.
I disagree. If the stats were published in a quality journal (which Intelligence is) then they would have been significant. Significance and effect size are also different things. And when calculating significance, chance is also taken into the consideration.

Also, the data they used has also been used to draw conclusions on the role between intelligence and dementia, and also if intelligence is fluid (i.e. changes over the life span) or constant, or if it naturally declines. Almost 500 participants is quiet a lot.

I'm going to be geeky and try and get hold of the original article, too :)

The article makes it pretty clear that the sample size was easily big enough for the results to be statistically significant. It also points to the likeliest explanation being role-based, i.e. the selection process meant that smarter fellas were ultimately that little bit more likely to end up in harm's way.

It also hypothesises that the more intelligent soldiers might be more likely to feel a commitment to seeing things through; but I think that is probably wrong. I'm sure WWI soldiers were different from 1980s ones, but I don't recall ever thinking that the less intellectual squaddies around me were less brave or committed or ready to man up and get the job done than the smarter ones. In fact I reckon I met a few bright sparks who couldn't do the job as well as fellas whose intelligence they would have looked down on.

I don't have military experience so this might be nonsense. The article says that the study was across all ranks. I'd expect more intelligent blokes, on average, to be the ones who got promoted or comissioned.

Don't identifiable officers and NCOs tend to attract sniper fire ? Could this explain a slightly lower survival rate for the more intelligent?

The logical outcome in this age of technological wizardry is an IQ-Seeking bullet. Only slots those with 110+.

And we could have a -90 version to use on chav estates.

Coat, taxi.