Intelligent mobilisation

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jun 2, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Repeat as Mantra

3 month tours..............   ;D
  3. This should not come as a surprise to anyone who has followed the mobilisation process previously.  My unit has been mobilising people for years now and it is usually a shambles.  However we've always worked round it previously.  

We knew where we were going and liaised unofficially with the unit so all necessary admin got done.  The Bn was happy to issue pay advances to mobilised soldiers to mitigate Glasgow's unbelievable incompetence, and was also happy to go into bat over other admin nightmares.  

However this approach which works for small mobilisations when there isn't a crisis won't work during something like Telic.  Other units which haven't the expereince have no choice but to trust the system.  

We are going to lose soldiers over this - not just any muppets still left (good riddance) but dedicated, trained ones who are happy to step up when the time is right but who are not prepared to be messed around by idiots for no good reason.  
  4. msr

msr LE

I think it's becoming clearer that you can't use the TA as a random pool to draw from. There needs to be better links between Regiments TA and Regular, so at least we know who we will be posted to....

5. I had an interesting text message from one of my guys yesterday. Our unit is going through the 'traffic light' system for the next Herrick - mobilising in sept 08. He has informed the powers that be that he is not a volunteer, but would probably not appeal should the big finger of justice point at him. He is also getting married late next year so is kinda reluctant to be away for the six months before hand - and the mobilisation could be 'bad' for his relationship. He is not sure if he should be green or amber as per the traffic light system. .

So... question is... where is it in writing that 'there are NO compulsory mobilisations - only volunteers' - as he is definately not a volunteer - other than from the day he joined.

I'm sure msr will have a ref for the DIN! ;)
  6. msr

msr LE

Check your PMs - I will send you the actual letter ;)

7. Link's not working for me - can anyone put up the article?
  8. Just do a serach for TA. Its about three articles down the list.
  9. msr

msr LE

10. but it's also 2003.
  11. Cant see the origional article, link just takes me to a frontice piece any chance of a resume?
  12. msr

msr LE

The link works. The original post was from 2003, so no surprise that the article was.

I am good, but I cannot yet traverse the time/space continuum.

13. However is this still the case. My medical unit seem to be manageing fairly well with the concept.
  14. They joined the TA and were called up to serve their country? Shocking! How could this happen? Surely everyone who joins the TA knows that its all about drill nights, summer camps and a tax free bounty, how could the MOD do this to them?

Fair enough for those who didnt get paid and all the dramas that caused, but for the others I believe that Capt F has hit the nail on the head:

Outstanding comment.
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Shhh... don't say things like that. Loads of people on the TA forum will start harumphing and muttering phrases like "broad church", "embracing" and "local unit for local people (and local ops)"