Intelligent Mobilisation - A definition

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ABrighter2006, May 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has been discussed previously - MODs feel free to bin the thread if this is the case.

Numerous threads on ARRSE refer to Intelligent Mobilisation, there seems to be little information on exactly what it is, and how it works. Like many ARRSE users, I have been intelligently mobilised, but have never been told exactly how it is defined, and the advantages, etc. And how it compares to previous mobilisation processes. There appear to be very differing opinions about it and how it works. Now the army has been executing this process for three years, does it work?

If somebody on ARRSE has the "DS Answer" or any more info, I'd appreciate it.

Although I've posted this in the Just TA forum, I would also be interested in regular soldiers' views of Intelligent Mobilisation, i.e. From a regulars' perspective, does the system work?

I know that the thread title gives flamers et al the chance to go down the "ARAB v STAB" type discussion - this was not the reason for posting this - please use the NAAFI thread!

2. In essence intelligent mobilisation means mobilising someone for an operation who is willing to go. This involves utilising the chain of command to identify individuals who are fit for task and who will not have work/family issues affecting mobilisation.

This is in contrast to the TELIC 1-4ish policy of LAND and RTMC mobilising individuals from a big list (often in alphabetical order on TELIC 1) and sorting them out when they get to Chilwell.

FORGE is designed to assist with this process (FORGE stands for FORce GEneration) in identifying trained individuals but the engagement of the chain of command with the individual is central.

Under FAS TA the intent is to increase the support to affiliated regular units and thereby make a mobilised tour of benefit to a reservists career path as opposed to a detriment as it is often seen at the moment.

At the end of the day intelligent mobilisation is an ideal rather than the a totally achievable goal. While volunteers will be trawled for at each deployment, there will always be a requirement to compulsorily mobilise individuals to fill certain posts. Until the whole army is recruited and trained to full establishment this is likely to continue.

3. Do tell...what is the difference between a "plan" and an "aspiration"? :twisted:

The bad news is the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned out to conserve energy, the good news is work on the tunnel extension is proceeding ahead of schedule!

4. edited to read "Until the next Orange Order Pope.."

5. Cheers Blyth,

So, essentially the soldier volunteers, and the army make it look like the soldier is being forced to go on Ops, as far as the soldier's employer is concerned? As far as the CoC is concerned, on the work / families' side - I wonder how the CoC manages to get this right, and surely, this should be "business as usual" and monitored throughout the TA soldier's career, rather than the "Sh1t hitting fan" mobilisation looms type picture.

Not spoiling here, but I kinda go back to my first post - "How does this differ from previously?"

As for FORGE - absolutely, needs an establishment!

6. msr

msr LE

It is academic now, as all mobilisation is currently voluntary.

msr

7. Sorry MSR,

I disagree - this is absolutley not academic.

If, I (like many others) had turned around 3 years ago and said "Hold on, exactly what is the crack here?" - we would have got the wrath of our units / CoC, etc.

At no point at Chilwell, did the assortment of brass stand up and say "You're only here if you really want to be, and you can go home if you want" - To be fair, at that time, I didn't have a problem with going, but there again, didn't know that my six month tour was going to cost me so much financially.

So, like good TA Soldiers, we dropped everything, and did the necessary. Three years on, the effects of Intelligent Mobilisation can now be analysed to make sure that the next time (and knowing Tony...) that we mobilise for war in a way that does not decimate the TA within six months.

Again, how does this differ from the previous method of mobilising TA?

...and good morning MSR!

8. msr

msr LE

9. MSR - thanks for the link

I would guess that in the absence of a clear brief, this traffic light system is well and truly open to error. My point being that most people in my unit were not canvassed at all, in relation to family ties, employer attitudes, etc. Therefore, shouldn't the FORGE plan be in place at all times in peacetime? With more of an opt out (for good reasons) being in place, before mobilisation looms - as opposed to soldiers getting to Chillwell, to be deemed not suitable for mobilisation.

10. Unfortunately FORGE (having been written for regs and the TA bit tacked on at the end) has no facility for registering the changes an individual has with work and family situation. In FORGE's eyes, if a soldier is FFA/FFD he can go. Therefore the engagement of the CoC remains the only commonsense (!?!) check before mobilisation and appeal and all the associated heartache therein.

The mobilisation bill has gone down since 2003/4 and the vast majority can be achieved through individual volunteers. However there remains no formal system of recording the level of 'mobilisability' of a TA soldier from day to day; it is only done when a reservist is considered for a deployment.

11. msr

msr LE

Why should there be any room for error? Surely your CoC knows the guys and girls and their circumstances?

This comes from the NAO report:

The Department has made great strides in improving the processes through which Reservists are mobilised. It is crucial that the Department continues to give Reservists and their employers 28 days’ formal notice of mobilisation and additional informal early warning of possible deployment. It is also important that the Department continues to mobilise first those who volunteer for deployment where this is consistent
    with operational requirements.

And I think, acknowledges that the process was a bit 'hit and miss' especially in the early TELICs.

msr

12. Over the last ten years in my unit, with the slashing of MTD budgets, we were lucky to see our CO for 4 days in any trg year. As to whether or not he or the CoC knows his girls and boys, not a hope, wouldn't even be able to identlify males from females on the nominal role!

Do you have a link to the NAO report? re: 28 days.. are there any stats on the how much notice TELIC 1 / 2 pers actually got? i know our unit was generally 3 - 5 days notice, whereas many were more. What was the average? - and how do you improve this in future?

13. msr

msr LE

14. Interesting...

What is the highest TA rank to have been mobilised? Any 2 star posts on the next TELIC/HERRICK trawl lists?

15. Intelligent mobilisation means mobilising someone for an operation who is willing to go, but who may be totally unsuitable. If you need 30 soldiers and you have 30 volunteers are you (the MoD) going to turn them down? Are they likley to be the most suitable for the 30 tasks? Err no, In recent threads we have heard form various units where new young slodiers have just finished their training and volunteered. Off to to ops after only 10 months TA service amounting to a total of maybe 35 days training, would the regulars send out an 18 year old after 5 weeks basic, I don't think so. After all they volunteered didn't they.

Edited for bad spelling during rant!