INTELLIGENCE REQUIREMENT - CREDIT CARD SIZES

I'm sitting here measuring the credit/debit cards in my wallet (waiting for an appointment in an NHS hospital) and they are all 86mm by 54mm. That doesn't even equate to anything in proper (imperial) measurements. (Okay, I know one of them has that strange rounded corner.)

IR

Who decided on this size ?
Why ?

Dubb

Right....so taking it a stage further.......why a 54mm wide slot in the machine?

I feel I've got to get to the bottom of this.

I admire the foresight of those half a century ago who invented business cards so that they would one day be the same size as credit cards, and therefore fit into my wallet.

Dubb_al_Ibn said:
Right....so taking it a stage further.......why a 54mm wide slot in the machine?
because thats the size of the card.

They are the same size as the standard size playing cards as specified by J. Edgar Hoover as part of his regulation of the gaming and lotteries industry.

sandmanfez said:
They are the same size as the standard size playing cards as specified by J. Edgar Hoover as part of his regulation of the gaming and lotteries industry.

"Well, check out the big brain on Brad..."

Fraser said:
So why did the guy who invented the vacuum cleaner decide on what size a playing card should be?
Wah! :D

Do the numerology, people. 86 x 54 = 4644, which is the square root of the mass of the pyramid of Cheops, which is the symbol of the Tri- partite commission, the shadowy, Freemanon affiliated body that runs the world.

A coincidence? I think not....

bernoulli said:
Do the numerology, people. 86 x 54 = 4644, which is the square root of the mass of the pyramid of Cheops, which is the symbol of the Tri- partite commission, the shadowy, Freemanon affiliated body that runs the world.

Right, so why didn't I think of that. Must be because the Govt are controlling my thoughts to prevent expansion of knowledge. lol

bernoulli said:

Actually you're almost right Bernoulli.

If you divide the long side by the short side 85.60/53.98 (in mm), you get the same ratio as the Parthenon.

You'll be telling me next that the hole in a Polo mint is 5.56mm..........mmmmmm, hang on, back in a bit.