Intelligence or Negligence?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by india-juliet, Jun 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As it now appears the Metropolitan Police & MI5 are playing a blame game on each other. Dose the Security Service need a radical overhaul. Sir Ian is currently getting a hiding for events at Stockwell & Forest Gate, but what about the Director General of MI5 Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller. She is responsible for her organisation and why is she not getting a roasting aswell?. Or is it ok for her to sit in her ivory tower at Thames House and let everyone else take the blame.
  2. Am I the only one thinking that the "chaps" over in the Secret Servvice will be heaving a huge sigh of relief that its the Security and Police Services that are getting a hammering at present? The internecine bickering that goes on between the intelligenc ecommunities may ressurect the cries for an Int Czar, in the same way that the US has appointed a director of national intelligence. If that is the case, we can look forward to the generation of a new ministerial post and the installation of another human rights lawyer to fill it.
  3. What other Secret Service are you refering to over here, MI6?
  4. As those well-versed in terrorist methodology know only too well from experience, the terrorist wants to alienate his community from the state. He wants to recruit from his community and encourage the youth of that community to join his Jihad. He wants as many overseas volunteers as possible to fight the 'infidel', in the same way that the 'International' Brigade were recruited to fight during the Spanish Civil War of the early 1930s.

What better method has he than feeding 'positive' intelligence to a Police and Security network in the UK who, with a mixture of politically whipped up paranoia urging them on, draconian anti-terrorism legislation that pays little or no regard to the presumption of innocence or due process, will act on it in the knowledge that they have complete political backing and will rarely, if ever, be called to account before the courts.,,1795482,00.html

Having legal powers and political consent is one thing - having the consent and backing of the community within which you operate is quite another!

Surely thirty years in Northern Ireland taught us at least that much?

The problem with breaking down doors, and indiscriminately using firearms is that it achieves precisely what the terrorist wants it to achieve - a politicisation and radicalisation of youth with the community affected by the way in which an 'intelligence-led' Police operation is handled on the ground.

Although it is right that our Police and Security Services should remain politically accountable in a democracy - it is equally not right that operational decisions should be taken at a political level.
  5. I've worked with their sort before and their reports were spurious at best and American at worst. And the amount of backing a single crap report would get from the hierarchy!!!!!! :x
  6. It seems to me that the coppers, along with politicians and the media, fail to make the distinction between “intelligence” and “information”, or maybe they don’t even know the difference.

Information is just the raw material, intelligence is the product. “This information is cr@p” is a valid intelligence assessment, but if they treat raw information as if it were real intelligence there are bound to be f*ck ups. I don’t know if they are doing that, but I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if they were. Sh!t in, sh!t out.
  7. It would be a wise man who could say, 'Act thus and all will be well...' and be confident that he'd got it right 100%.

Making the decision to go, on a particular piece of information or line of investigation, is a bit like playing the 'shell' game.

The problem that faces the police and the Security Service is that you don't just have three shells to choose from, you have hundreds and only few of them are real.

How many surveillance personnel do you think it takes to cover one suspect 24/7?

Resources are limited and it isn't easy to pick the right shell and hope the 'pea' is under it; think about that before you blow off a lot of steam.

Being wise after the event is easy; being at the point of decision is not!
  8. I agree required reading should include Frank Kitson's Low intensity operations and Alan Dulles, The craft of intelligence. Intelligence is the process and the result of gathering information and analyzing it to answer questions or obtain advance warnings needed to plan for the future!