Intelligence doubt

Good Evening people, I am a mum who at 00:14 I'm writing on here concerned.
I have a daughter who is only a few weeks away from completely her basic phase 1 training in Pirbright, she started this army journey over a year ago wanting to apply for the Intelligence corps linguistics/language role. She saw all the positives, passed so many tests, vetting, drill, inspections & PT etc Her revision, perseverance & fitness has excelled (even though she is a creature of comfort) I am very proud of what she has achieved. And with phase 2 in chicksands around the corner, she is well on her way to doing what she loves.
SO this week she has declared that the army path to translation/languages is now not for her!!!? I've tried to get to the bottom of it, its caused a lot of raised voices. To say I'm not disappointed is an understatement, I feel she will be making a huge mistake giving up now.
I believe she worries about the job role being still heavily PT & full exercises. She has been bombarded with lots of info, which I believe she's only hearing the negatives? She still wants to do languages/translation but on civi street. This does not compute in my head. What can I do? Is there anyone out there in this type of role who can give her an insight/realities of this role?
I'm gutted she's got this far to throw in the towel. She has a lot to offer but I feel she is now on a 'downer' and in flee mode.
Any advice, reassurance or help for both her & myself would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Kindest regards
Kelzi. ☹

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
You might repost this in the Intelligence Corps forum here on ARRSE, there are serving folk there who can advise. For what it's worth, although I left 21 years ago on Saturday, I served 22 years as a linguist and had a whale of a time and I'd recommend whole-heartedly.

There is PT and time in the field, of course there is, it's the Army, after all, but it would make little sense for the Army to spend an absolute fortune training a linguist and then have them not use or practice their skills in a military context.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Morning Kelzi,

My guess, as ever, is that there is more to this than meets the eye.
I am out of date on training but, PT continues in most units at a very much reduced pace.
Excersize is what the army does, equally, there is tons of Barracks time.
Financially, it also depends at what stage of language qualification she is at.
The military will pay for all training and issue learning credits for future use.
Civiv street, is pay, pa, and pay again.
A win right now would be to convince her to sign for the minimum commitment, enjoy the adventure, then see what she wants to do with the qualifications she got for free from the Army.

Good Evening people, I am a mum who at 00:14 I'm writing on here concerned.
I have a daughter who is only a few weeks away from completely her basic phase 1 training in Pirbright, she started this army journey over a year ago wanting to apply for the Intelligence corps linguistics/language role. She saw all the positives, passed so many tests, vetting, drill, inspections & PT etc Her revision, perseverance & fitness has excelled (even though she is a creature of comfort) I am very proud of what she has achieved. And with phase 2 in chicksands around the corner, she is well on her way to doing what she loves.
SO this week she has declared that the army path to translation/languages is now not for her!!!? I've tried to get to the bottom of it, its caused a lot of raised voices. To say I'm not disappointed is an understatement, I feel she will be making a huge mistake giving up now.
I believe she worries about the job role being still heavily PT & full exercises. She has been bombarded with lots of info, which I believe she's only hearing the negatives? She still wants to do languages/translation but on civi street. This does not compute in my head. What can I do? Is there anyone out there in this type of role who can give her an insight/realities of this role?
I'm gutted she's got this far to throw in the towel. She has a lot to offer but I feel she is now on a 'downer' and in flee mode.
Any advice, reassurance or help for both her & myself would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Kindest regards
Kelzi. ☹

The Army isnt for everyone, I dont know what the script is now, but when I went through training you couldnt leave until close to the end, she might have decided it wasnt for her early on but couldnt do anything about it.

Awol

LE
So I
Morning Kelzi,

My guess, as ever, is that there is more to this than meets the eye.
I am out of date on training but, PT continues in most units at a very much reduced pace.
Excersize is what the army does, equally, there is tons of Barracks time.
Financially, it also depends at what stage of language qualification she is at.
The military will pay for all training and issue learning credits for future use.
Civiv street, is pay, pa, and pay again.
A win right now would be to convince her to sign for the minimum commitment, enjoy the adventure, then see what she wants to do with the qualifications she got for free from the Army.
I’ve always said that there are two ways to serve in the army. The first is to sign up for the minimum, have a ball in something like the Paras (even if you’re a professor of chemistry from Oxford), and just have fun.

The second is to do the whole 22 years and come out with a serious qualification, something like an air traffic controller or a pilot. (I once met a bloke who had done both, he was a top bod in the CWGC, had been a captain in the Paras and flew his own plane. The git).

To the OP I would say try and persuade your daughter to do the minimum. It’s not for very long and three years of military service looks a hell of a lot better on her CV, and has a lot more kudos than the same amount of time spent in some terribly dull corporate office block.

To the OP I would say try and persuade your daughter to do the minimum. It’s not for very long and three years of military service looks a hell of a lot better on her CV, and has a lot more kudos than the same amount of time spent in some terribly dull corporate office block.

Minimum service for over 18s is 4 years now.

Awol

LE
Minimum service for over 18s is 4 years now.
Thanks Stacks, didn’t know that, but it’s still a blink of an eye in a lifetime.

Given the membership of Arrse, I don’t know of a single member who regrets their service, and to many it seems to be the best time of their lives, me included.

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
So I

I’ve always said that there are two ways to serve in the army. The first is to sign up for the minimum, have a ball in something like the Paras (even if you’re a professor of chemistry from Oxford), and just have fun.

The second is to do the whole 22 years and come out with a serious qualification, something like an air traffic controller or a pilot. (I once met a bloke who had done both, he was a top bod in the CWGC, had been a captain in the Paras and flew his own plane. The git).

To have gone so far and not sign up even if for a 4 year stint would be a loss to both. She will no doubt meet many interesting people and some may be friends, comrades, chums that will last a lifetime plus Int Corps has some interesting posts

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
It doesn't matter what anyone on here thinks. What matters is what your daughter thinks. She should chat to her training staff and they will advise.

Latest Threads