Intelligence Corps Officer

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Thackeray, Dec 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I've been a member on MFAT for some time now and had my heart set on an officer career in the Royal Marines, however after spending some time in the RMR I started to think that the Infantry is probably not what I really want to do and am looking at other options in the military.
    Fundamentally I joined the Royal Marines for the wrong reasons, I was chasing the trophy of the green beret rather than wanting to do the job for what it involves.
    I am currently in my first year at university studying History and intend to take a language module next year.

I have looked at the Int' Corps website but I haven't been able to locate any information about the role of an officer in the Corps. I am looking to do a job that offers variety, testing my analytical skills and my intellect as well as testing me physically.
    Will I find this in the Corps? Also, is much time spent in the field actually gathering intelligence? I noticed some members of the Corps were attached to the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment (I think) inI raq this year, what sort of role would they have been fulfilling in that capacity.

My apologies if I am asking bone questions, I am new to the site and still getting to grips with navigating around.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

2. Your bottle has obviously gone completely. The Int Corps will be ideal. Green beret of sorts and an opportunity to wear out your barrack dress. Plus hot postings. Good luck. :)

3. Just what we need then!!

Seriously - our officers do Inf attachments after RMAS before doing their Young Officer Course - the blokes are platoon commanders and the girls usually end up in Bn HQ somewhere however for the blokes they cannot command a platoon on ops now because they haven't done the infantry platoon commander's course so they generally end up in Bn HQ as well if the battalion deploys. As a result the policy is being reviewed.

Otherwise yes you can do a physically challenging job that involves collection in the field and be involved on the analytical side but you are paid to command oiks like me first and foremost. Try the stickies at the top of this forum as well - someone else is bound to mention it so I might as well get in there first.

In short you could do a lot worse.

4. Thank you for the reply.

I did actually get a PM directing me towards the Sticky section shortly after I posted.

Regards

Thackeray