Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

INTELLIGENCE CORPS APTITUDE ASSESSMENT (VIDEO CALL)

Np77

Crow
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

I've recently finished my University degree in Arabic and Russian language and I'm currently going through the selection process for Operator Technical intelligence (OPTI). I have passed my initial assessment at Glencourse in October and I have the second part of my selection on the 9th of December. Beforehand, this was going to be a 3-day selection at Chicksands (Bedfordshire) where I would complete all the examinations e.g aptitude tests, MLAT test, current affairs discussion, interview and presentation. However, due to the Coronavirus, aptitude tests and the interview will be conducted online; upon successful completion of this I will (again hopefully) attend a 1-day course in Chicksands as opposed to the 3-day course.

The problem I'm having at the moment is that I've not heard anything for int corps in weeks, they haven't given any information help prepare for these assessments nor tell me what they're generally about. I'm fully aware that the Int Corps is very private and information is confidential, however, I would have at least expected a phone call from them or to receive the joining instructions considering its only 10 days away. So hopefully you guys could help me out with this a little bit.

Are the tests IQ tests?
Do they involve complex maths questions - will I need a calculator?
Spatial reasoning?
Verbal reasoning?
Mechanical comprehension?
How will the online tests be conducted, skype or zoom etc?

Moreover, with regards to the interview, what is the main theme? do they want you to know as much as possible about the Int Corps and with they test you thoroughly on the history, past operations/ current operations? or is the interview more about myself? Also, regarding the presentation, is it on current affairs or is it about myself?

I understand that the answers to these questions may be confidential, however, if they're not please feel free to answer them.
Thank you and I hope everyone is staying safe.

P.S its

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'd work on the assumption that they'll give you any specific information they think you'll need. If you're worried, perhaps tune them up, ostensibly to confirm the technical details of the tests and interview - how do I connect, what software will I need, that kind of thing.

I'd further work on the assumption that you'd be expected to have a good grasp of current affairs, not just the narrative but the facts and stories underpinning it, a decent idea of why you think you'd be an asset to the Int Corps and some idea - the Army website is probably a good resource - of what the Corps says it does.

Other than that, be yourself, tell the truth and don't be afraid to say 'dunno, guv'. The selection process isn't a pass/fail thing, it's a suited/not suited affair. The Corps knows what it's looking for and, if you're it, will select you.

Edited to add, the very best of luck with your application.

I concur with what @Glad_its_all_over says above. Your proven linguistic abilities will appeal to the Corps, though potential is always looked for. I had no proven linguistic ability but I ended up following that route with (I like to think)) reasonable success. Keep an open mind and remember there are no trick questions.

Np77

Crow
I'd work on the assumption that they'll give you any specific information they think you'll need. If you're worried, perhaps tune them up, ostensibly to confirm the technical details of the tests and interview - how do I connect, what software will I need, that kind of thing.

I'd further work on the assumption that you'd be expected to have a good grasp of current affairs, not just the narrative but the facts and stories underpinning it, a decent idea of why you think you'd be an asset to the Int Corps and some idea - the Army website is probably a good resource - of what the Corps says it does.

Other than that, be yourself, tell the truth and don't be afraid to say 'dunno, guv'. The selection process isn't a pass/fail thing, it's a suited/not suited affair. The Corps knows what it's looking for and, if you're it, will select you.

Edited to add, the very best of luck with your application.
Thank you for your response.

One quick question, is the presentation on current affairs or is it about myself?

Np77

Crow
I concur with what @Glad_its_all_over says above. Your proven linguistic abilities will appeal to the Corps, though potential is always looked for. I had no proven linguistic ability but I ended up following that route with (I like to think)) reasonable success. Keep an open mind and remember there are no trick questions.
Thank you for your reply, did are the aptitude tests difficult at selection? Moreover, can you give me any tips on how to prepare for them?

Thank you for your reply, did are the aptitude tests difficult at selection? Moreover, can you give me any tips on how to prepare for them?
It’s more than 30 years since I did them, though I administered many MLATs and various other tests at selection boards as an Education Officer. The “language” they use is truly made up so don’t listen to the rumours that you should learn Kurdish numbers or anything.

There is no specific preparation as they are designed to be done on spec. Apart from “don’t turn up with a raging hangover “ (ok, I may have ignored that one a few times over the years) there isn’t much you can do other than as recommended, keep up with current events, where the British armed forces are operating and why we are there. Think about effects. Ask yourself the extra question of “what are we trying to achieve?” but don’t over think things.

Np77

Crow
I completed mine online, and while I won't share any information regarding it as per the instructions, I will say this. You will be sent an email from them with all of the information about the tests and the format of it, and a couple of days before you will get an email with times in it. The only other thing I will say is that the tests were not at all difficult. The TST for example was harder than the Maths tests etc, so don't stress about it. Brush up on your current affairs knowledge, your knowledge of the INT CORPS, and the army in general, and practise your public speaking in a mirror if you haven't had an interview in a while. Good luck.

Edit: I feel I should say I didn't find them technically challenging, other people's experiences may vary.
Thank you for your reply, did you pass the tests? also, are they multiple choice?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
It helps if you have a degree in the Classics

Latest Threads