Intel Corps selection - any advice?

Hi All,

First post here, just set up my account but am a long time lurker.

Have my Intel Corps selection day coming up and was wondering if anyone had any advice beyond making sure to look sharp, keep track of current and foreign affairs, and have reversed answers for why you’re interested in joining the forces and your selected unit?

Hoping to join as a reserve soldier.

Many thanks!

Its the Int Corps not the Intel Corps

The content is kept quiet for a reason. As a result there is not much you can do to prepare, other than boning up on your current affairs.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Owing to the sensitivity of the work and to ensure the right people get the right jobs you’ll not get any shortcuts here.
Your preparation appears sensible.

• Be yourself, not who you think they want.
  • Listen attentively, and take your time answering questions. Don’t ramble
  • It's also okay to ask the interviewer to repeat a question, or check your understanding of what's being asked

It’s not MI6, chill & don’t over think it.

PS- Sort your PERSEC out. It’s absolutely shocking already! Start with your username & start switching on!

Last edited:
@Mattchar When are you doing selection out of interest?

Owing to the sensitivity of the work and to ensure the right people get the right jobs you’ll not get any shortcuts here.
Your preparation appears sensible.

• Be yourself, not who you think they want.
  • Listen attentively, and take your time answering questions. Don’t ramble
  • It's also okay to ask the interviewer to repeat a question, or check your understanding of what's being asked

It’s not MI6, chill & don’t over think it.

PS- Sort your PERSEC out. It’s absolutely shocking already! Start with your username & start switching on!
Thanks for this, not looking for any shortcuts though, appreciate that this isn’t Glassdoor.

On the PERSEC front, my username is unrelated to my actual name and have taken additional (unmentioned) digital steps to preserve my anonymity. Thank you for pointing this out though as am sure a lot of people are pretty unaware of OP/PERSEC.

I love these bait AF recruitment threads. The English is never quite right.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Indeed.

It is almost as if one doesn’t realise that recruiters and recruit training staff use this forum.

Best o’ luck

john_singh

Old-Salt
Hi All,

Have my Intel Corps selection day coming up and was wondering if anyone had any advice beyond making sure to look sharp, keep track of current and foreign affairs, and have reversed answers for why you’re interested in joining the forces and your selected unit?

Many thanks!
I passed selection as a TA/Reserve in the 80's. The impression I got was that they were after Team players with an interest in what was going on in the world and commonsense. Oh and a sense of humour.

Get a large bunch of keys. Try and remember which key opens what.

Dshishod

Swinger
Hi All,

Many thanks!
Hi All,

Many thanks!
Hi, realise this is an older post but have you had selection yet? If not I’d suggest meeting with your local unit. I have selection this week and have met with my local unit and been in contact quite a lot, They’ve been really helpful in providing guidance/prep etc. Hoping to join Intelligence Corps too. Good luck

Back in my day selection was handled by a WO2 at Ashford. We went down for two days. I can’t remember much other than getting hammered in the NAAFI. Doing the MLAT and discovering a common interest in shooting. Must have worked, they let me in and looked after me for 15 years before offloading me onto the Ed branch

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
As has already been pointed out, it's either the Intelligence Corps, in full, or INT CORPS. Never 'intel'.

As to selection, it's not a pass-or-fail thing and it's not something you can prepare for, beyond making sure you wear shoes and have a reasonably good grasp of current affairs. As also noted, don't try and game any sort of system, be yourself - they know what they're looking for and, if you're it, you'll get a crack at it.

Nothing wrong if you're not what they're looking for, getting this far qualifies you for any number of other cracking jobs in the Army, just not, perhaps for the Corps - generally because the sense of those running selection is that you wouldn't be quite the right fit, which would be bad for you and bad for the Corps.

I passed selection as a TA/Reserve in the 80's. The impression I got was that they were after Team players with an interest in what was going on in the world and commonsense. Oh and a sense of humour.
And the ability to consume large quantities of booze and remain standing.
For real, think about what they do in basic terms, collect information, categorize it into a bit more than good or bad, develop it (with other information - collate), disseminate (to people who need it), secure it from people who don't.

As has already been pointed out, it's either the Intelligence Corps, in full, or INT CORPS. Never 'intel'.

As to selection, it's not a pass-or-fail thing and it's not something you can prepare for, beyond making sure you wear shoes and have a reasonably good grasp of current affairs. As also noted, don't try and game any sort of system, be yourself - they know what they're looking for and, if you're it, you'll get a crack at it.

Nothing wrong if you're not what they're looking for, getting this far qualifies you for any number of other cracking jobs in the Army, just not, perhaps for the Corps - generally because the sense of those running selection is that you wouldn't be quite the right fit, which would be bad for you and bad for the Corps.
It grips my Sh*T when anyone British uses Intel, thats for Uncle Sams boys and girls. The Met police use 'Intel' in their briefings and I am shouting to myself "Nooo, we are British its INT, INT, INT. I was even worried that standards had slipped so much that the British army were now using the term.

I did a two week Combat Int course at Bulford in 1997 as a jolly while in 10 Para. It was an excellent course with first class Int Corp NCOs from L/cpl to WO1. Only let down by an Int Corp Major who was a throbber of the first order. His NCOs held him in contempt.

We had a lecture by a WO2 on current affairs. He said that TA Int Corp had officers and soldiers who were University lecturers who had no common sense. He cited an example of some TA officers and soldiers sitting by a bridge in Bosnia. Asking them what they were doing, there officer said "just having a picknic Sergeant Major" "Er sir, you do know that the area where you are sitting is heavily mined".

I was once behind some Int Corp soldiers in the cookhouse in Sek Kong, On the sheet that you sign for meals if you are not based at the camp the Int Corp Cpl had written 26th July 1985. "Ha" I thought, "Not so bright these Int Corp chaps as its actually the 25th July 1985"

And then I thought about it. "This chap is Int Corp. Perhaps he knows something I don't know. Need to know and all that".

And the ability to consume large quantities of booze and remain standing.
For real, think about what they do in basic terms, collect information, categorize it into a bit more than good or bad, develop it (with other information - collate), disseminate (to people who need it), secure it from people who don't.
Isn't it called 'The Intelligence cycle.

Latest Threads