Integrity

If anyone ever asked me which of the Values and Standards of the British Army was the most important* I would unhesitatingly say integrity. Without it, the others are meaningless.

Regardless of all the other crap and low points I went through during both Phase 1 and 2 training, the absolute low point was a time when my integrity was called into question. Thankfully I was exonerated, but I have never forgotten how it felt. Integrity to me is the foundation stone on which all the other positive characteristics are built.

*CRILDS

I find integrity down to how you were socially brought up, if you had good role models you had a head start, I was taught to open doors for people, always say please and thank you, incouraged to play sports after school, joined the ATC.

In later life be magnanimous about achievements, always respect people until they show otherwise.

This type of behaviour, generates some strange reactions. Leaving the Inn on the lake today I held the door open for three aged ladies and a younger female tried to barge pass me, she got told in no u certain terms by the oldest who by my estimation was 80+
Not sure that is integrity so much as politeness. There has to be another thread there. But you are right - it is probably learnt at an early age. Can it be encouraged at school age or in adulthood? If nothing else, it is the best way of covering your arse.

If anyone ever asked me which of the Values and Standards of the British Army was the most important* I would unhesitatingly say integrity. Without it, the others are meaningless.

Regardless of all the other crap and low points I went through during both Phase 1 and 2 training, the absolute low point was a time when my integrity was called into question. Thankfully I was exonerated, but I have never forgotten how it felt. Integrity to me is the foundation stone on which all the other positive characteristics are built.

*CRILDS
I assume CRILDS stands for something similar to the RN's C2DRIL - Courage, Commitment, Respect for others, Discipline, Integrity, and Loyalty. I agree Integrity is the most important one. The others can be trained in, developed, or depend on circumstances, but integrity is a constant.

In manufacturing, Integrity means Quality. If you look at component catalogues, you will often find that a component comes in three grades, with increasing cost. Firsty standard, the industrial, then military/aerospace/medical. The difference is in the integrity - how much can it be relied on. This in turns dictates the amount of testing etc - which takes time and money.

Simply put integrity is your core values.

Indeed, its usually those at the top who harp on about integrity while having very little themselves.
Many years ago I was given a lecture on ‘integrity’ by an officer pilot.
He had just done a Lynx airtest for me and was in such a hurry to get to lunch he signed a blank page in the F700 and told me to fill the rest in.
Which I did.
He was not pleased to discover later that he had signed to say he had flown the a/c upside down for 30 mins to check for loose articles, especially as his wife was the EME and a copy was accidentally left in her in tray. Handily, he shredded the evidence and the original F700 entry was ‘miraculously’ truthful, so all I got was a lecture which I grinned all the way through.
For those of you who remember him, it rhymes with ‘Prïck’.

Not just having them, but sticking to them at times of difficulty or temptation.

Do you think integrity is what this author means by 'honor' (US spelling)? Are the words synonymous?

What Has Happened to the Concept of Honor?

Honor is an abstract concept that includes personal, individual values (“ethos”) as well as norms of social interaction (“code of behavior”). Honor is a measure of the quality of a person, including personal ethics, e.g., honesty, compassion, valor, and chivalry. Honor lies at the core of who we are and aspire to be, how we make choices. When making difficult choices, when the consequences are significant, why do we feel more stressed? Might that stress result from the friction between our selfish desires and other needs, be they practical or social?

I appreciate that 'integrity' is not defined in this post, however I found this of interest -

Warren Buffett, American business guru and philanthropist said " Look for three things in a person, intelligence, energy and integrity. If they don't have the last one, don't even bother."

Sorry to quote you again, but this is worth looking into some more.

Living from Our Core Values

Values is defined as a person’s principles or standards of behavior; ones judgment of what is important in life. Living from our values is closely related to living in integrity. Many people think of integrity as being honest, and that is so, but there is so much more. Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one knows. Integrity is living a life where what we think, feel, say, and do are all lined up as one. When we know ourselves at a deep level, which includes knowing our most important values, we are positioned well to live a life of integrity.

Acceptance
Acknowledgment
Adventure
Authenticity
Balance
Beauty
Being the Best
Challenge
Commitment
Communication
Compassion
Confidence