Integrity - Bank kock up - whats a customer to do?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BuggerAll, Apr 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Several weeks ago I spent £1,200 on my debit card on an internet transaction for flight tickets. I've got the tickets and the vendor assures me that have the money.

For several days there was £1,200 reserve on my account. (ie although I had the money in my balance it was not available to me).

The reserve was withdrawn and now I have the money. I contacted the bank and they bank assure me that they have not kocked up, they have not made any payments and as far as they are concerned I do not have any outstanding debit card payments.

This is irritating me. What would you do?
  2. Speak to the vendors again,Or just wait until you get a letter with big red writing on it through your door.
  3. Speak to the airline and confirm your tickets (not the vendor).

Where is the vendor located? If they have entered the payment via their local bank in somewhere like the BVI or Solomon Islands it can take up to 90 days for the deduction to be made from your bank (however this seems unlikely).

My personal and boring advice is to hang onto the money but don't spend it for 6 months (chuck it into a high interest account). If no-one has claimed it from you by then I believe that you have made reasonable steps to make restitution/payment and if they are so incompetent that they cannot sort out an error after it has been declared to them then commercial darwinism needs to occur.

If they do claim it within 6 months or so (somewhere there might be a legal time limit but I have no idea if so or what it is) then inform them that you told them about the problem at the start and it will take you X number of days to pay ('X' being the number of days to withdraw the money without incurring a financial penalty/loss of interest).
  4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Vendor is the airline and they assure me they've got the money, and that the tickets are valid. I have an e-receipt for the transaction.

As far as I can see it's a bank kock up. I know the sensible answer is to keep the extra £1,200 in my account until they realise their mistake. I probably ought to write to them as well, but when I phoned them and explained the situation and asked them what they wanted me to do thier answer was 'nothing' because as far as they are concerned there is no problem.

I was hoping some on in the NAAFI might come with an imaginative way I can bring this to the attention of my bank so that they cannot say they have not been told rather than just a boring old letter.
  5. as boring as sending them a letter is, you could always tag a £35 pound "admin fee" to it, you know just to cover your costs of writing it etc :D

banks are usually pretty bad with their admin, so by the time they get it sorted, you'll be quids in either way! i think a letter per day for 35 days should be a fair and reasonable proof that you tried to sort it!!
  6. You have already taken the reasonable steps to sort out the problem.

As advised bang it in a high interest account and watch it grow....

It might even be £1,203.47 by April 2010
  7. I had this with a laptop i once bought....

About the same amount of money too. Sat in my bank for about 3 months then I get a call from the bank, they explain their mistake and then deducted the money.
  8. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

As mentioned above, prepare a bill for Admin costs to be sent when they do finally claim the money.
    In the meantime, return the tickets, get a refund and buy again. My thinking is that you'll either end up with £2400 all in, and you can then buy cheaper flies, or buy the same again, and hopefully the bank will never come for that other £1200, as it'll have been 'refunded'.

Either way, cancel and get a refund, then buy cheaper.
  9. Hi,

Just to let you know the Legal limit for debit card payments to be taken is 6 years so although the bank say they have not paid anything it all depends on when the airline actually do their banking so I wouldn't remove the money as they most likely will come for it.

Hope this helps
  10. Just read properly and saw that the Airline say they have already had the money.

From working in a bank though there doesn't seem to be any deadline for them getting their money back, I have known them to take money back from over a year.
  11. So whats the legal limit on cash payments then?

Once paid a cash deposit, then collected the goods, a car in this case and then the company giving me the credit returned my deposit as I "Hadn't taken delivery" of the vehicle.

I called and wrote telling them of their error and enclosed the cheque - they sent it back to me 3 days later.

I cashed it, kept the dosh and spent it when I was posted. :)

Am I a crook?
  12. I can't see that they would have any come back on that, if they choose to send you a cheque when you aren't owed it that is their stupidity.

Did they cancel the finance as well? just wondering whether you got a free car, and if so where this garage is as I like the sound of them :D
  13. Nah, no such luck, they kept taking the monthly payment with no problems.
    They never did get the deposit back.
  14. The same thing happened to me. You didn't book tickets with United did you? I've used them twice and they have done it both times. I have made countless phone calls to them (well, a call centre in India) and emails, but have had no response as to why they have done this. Useless twats. I'm never using them again. My bank were also no help whatsoever.
  15. This isn't a Bank problem... It's the Airline's problem. They are the ones providing you with a service that they think you have already paid for.

At this moment the only thing the booking clerk or whoever you are talking to is looking at is a section of their accounting system that sees the Account Receivable item as "Paid in Full". You claim you also have an eReceipt for the money too. If that's the case then no-one will be suddenly removing the money from your account if you do it first. (While it would be a little unethical of the Airline to realize their mistake and remove the funds having already issued a receipt most big businesses today aren't overly worried about ethics so if you remove it and place it in another account then there won't be the funds for them to remove and possession is 9/10ths of the law).

The possible downside of this is that the Airline may notice their mistake close to your flight date and cancel your ticket, (which is really their only option), and rebooking would cost you more. I would call them every couple of days and confirm that the ticket is still good then make a note of the date, time and the person you spoke to. Keep the log and if they cancel the ticket you can show that you brought it to their attention, you then kept tabs on the ticket and that you should not be charged extra.

Once you have taken the flight then you can buy us all a beer...