Integrated Review - Royal Navy

Yokel

LE

HMS Trent (OPV) to be Gibraltar based

One Bay class LSD(A) to be turned into a Littoral Support Ship

Hunt and Sandown classes withdrawn slowly

Possibly more F-35Bs

Two Type 23s to go - presumably this means Monmouth (has been languishing and waiting for refit - and an FTRS skeleton crew) and one of the older non 2087/Merlin ones

20 frigates and destroyers by the end of the decade - does that mean running on other T23s longer to achieve the 24 the Prime Minister spoke of last week, which has slipped to 'early in the next decade'?

NATO commitments continue, with Russia named as the main hostile state threat. Continued commitments to CASD and carrier operations.

Last edited:

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
First read through but.... I think it's quite good.

ABM defence for the Type 45... finally.
Sounds like the Type 32 is going to be specifically for the littoral group. NGFS and deep strike alongside mine warfare maybe?
Forward deployed inf in defence engagement.... Kenya mentioned several times... Will be good for recruitment me thinks.
More AD....
Smattering or artillery but we'll be waiting for whatever somes out of the US programs anyway.
4 medium helicopter types to be replaced? Puma obviously, are they counting Chinook as medium? Hardly.
Doubling of the ship building budget by the end of the parliament. 3 FSS confirmed too.

More importantly it sounds as though the procurement is going to be fixed

Basically it all adds up to we'll be swanning around the world offering our services as a backstop against proxies... Possibly for a price.

It isn't a coherent force for combatting the 3rd shock but it seems well thought out and consistent. Unlike the integrated review part which was cock munching gobbledeshite.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
@jrwlynch What type of upgrade for the T45?

Out of the loop, so don't know. Can speculate - the obvious one is unlocking the TBMD potential in the radars, so that we could use later-generation ASTER against ballistic missiles. Been a "want that, no money though" option for a while.

Other issues might be using the IPMD space (the void between the 4.5" and the Sea Viper silo) for something, like a battery of Sea Ceptor, to give more firepower for saturation scenarios (especially if some of the Sea Viper cells are loaded up with Expensive Next Gen ASTERs reserved for TBMD).

Out of the loop, so don't know. Can speculate - the obvious one is unlocking the TBMD potential in the radars, so that we could use later-generation ASTER against ballistic missiles. Been a "want that, no money though" option for a while.

Other issues might be using the IPMD space (the void between the 4.5" and the Sea Viper silo) for something, like a battery of Sea Ceptor, to give more firepower for saturation scenarios (especially if some of the Sea Viper cells are loaded up with Expensive Next Gen ASTERs reserved for TBMD).
Sea ceptor would be a good addition.

Last edited:

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

wot ‘e said.

Software updates for ASBM/MRBM defence ready to go.
Buy Sea Viper NT
Big uplift of Sea Viper stocks needed coz we never bought anything like enough to Bomb up all the ships, wasn't an issue when most were always up on bricks.
Quad Pack Sea Ceptor into some Sylver cells, or put a mushroom farm in front of the silo is a no brainier.

and....... with the 45’s now up armed for AAW/ABM, the 4.5 makes even less sense, take it off and fit something self defence like a laser or the 57

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Aren't the ASTER silos a bit on the cramped side for true ABM ability? Or rather for full spectrum as opposed to a capability against short and medium ranged fireworks?

Aren't the ASTER silos a bit on the cramped side for true ABM ability? Or rather for full spectrum as opposed to a capability against short and medium ranged fireworks?

Yes, right now the T45s each have 48 A50 VLS cells, which are big enough for Aster 30, but they're built to accommodate up to 64 A70 cells, which are big enough for Aster BMD. Adding 16 A70s to the existing 48 A50s seems the obvious path (they come in 8-packs from the manufacturer).

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, right now the T45s each have 48 A50 VLS cells, which are big enough for Aster 30, but they're built to accommodate up to 64 A70 cells, which are big enough for Aster BMD. Adding 16 A70s to the existing 48 A50s seems the obvious path (they come in 8-packs from the manufacturer).

I hope you aren't advocating getting rid of the Type 45's gym....

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

would make more sense in a mid life refit to strip out Sylver and go to everyone including us in future is using it Mk41, it’s cheaper, more flexible and compatible with MBDA rounds.

would make more sense in a mid life refit to strip out Sylver and go to everyone including us in future is using it Mk41, it’s cheaper, more flexible and compatible with MBDA rounds.

Sylver A70 and Mk41 are theoretically equivalent, noone actually does but you should be able to launch Tomahawk from an A70. But to me it makes more sense to commit to navalised Storm Shadow/SCALP and launch those from A70s. One reason being that as far as I know the Americans have gone all VLS on their submarines, we haven't, and Tomahawk block V is VLS-only. So SCALP as a common round for submarines, surface and air makes more sense once we've used up the remaining block IV Tomahawks. Which I'm sure we will before long.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Sylver A70 and Mk41 are theoretically equivalent, noone actually does but you should be able to launch Tomahawk from an A70. But to me it makes more sense to commit to navalised Storm Shadow/SCALP and launch those from A70s. One reason being that as far as I know the Americans have gone all VLS on their submarines, we haven't, and Tomahawk block V is VLS-only. So SCALP as a common round for submarines, surface and air makes more sense once we've used up the remaining block IV Tomahawks. Which I'm sure we will before long.

we've bought Mk41 VLS for T26
Block IV Tomahawk is cheaper and has much longer legs than Scalp.
Storm Shadow/Scalp are getting on and better options are available.

we've bought Mk41 VLS for T26
Block IV Tomahawk is cheaper and has much longer legs than Scalp.
Storm Shadow/Scalp are getting on and better options are available.

SCALP in a torpedo tube launch configuration is still being manufactured however. Unless something expensive happens, once our stock of Tomahawk is gone we lose the capability.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
SCALP in a torpedo tube launch configuration is still being manufactured however. Unless something expensive happens, once our stock of Tomahawk is gone we lose the capability.

Scalp is a rather short ranged, @300 mile missile, its a tactical, not strategic weapon.
TLAM isn’t going away just yet, we can order more while we wait for NGLAW to show up @2030 and kick its tyres.

Last edited:

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Defence select committee discussing the review on the Royal Navy...

"A fleet of 20 Bay class with UAVs that can do the underwater stuff" Being the highlight from Tobias Elwood just under an hour in.... He's a stab in 77Brigade apparently. Presumably they would buy these underwater UAVs from Argos. :D

Later on he talks about Apaches being launched from the back of Destroyers carrying Stormshadows. Oh my sides. These same destroyers can have countermine capability with UAVs.... Apparently.

You might as well get your local hairdresser to chair the defence committee.

Kaushal is as usual very good.

Burton on the other hand...I suspect someone needs to explain the fallacies of distributed computing to him, as they apply to all sorts of other realms too other than the one he is talking about. The network is reliable etc....

"If we had an extra 2 ships, they would be sunk. Unless they were plugged into the neural net".

Skynet confirmed. Alex Jones was right!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Defence select committee discussing the review on the Royal Navy...

"A fleet of 20 Bay class with UAVs that can do the underwater stuff" Being the highlight from Tobias Elwood just under an hour in.... He's a stab in 77Brigade apparently. Presumably they would buy these underwater UAVs from Argos. :D

Later on he talks about Apaches being launched from the back of Destroyers carrying Stormshadows. Oh my sides. These same destroyers can have countermine capability with UAVs.... Apparently.

You might as well get your local hairdresser to chair the defence committee.

Kaushal is as usual very good.

Burton on the other hand...I suspect someone needs to explain the fallacies of distributed computing to him, as they apply to all sorts of other realms too other than the one he is talking about. The network is reliable etc....

"If we had an extra 2 ships, they would be sunk. Unless they were plugged into the neural net".

Skynet confirmed. Alex Jones was right!
No mention of Brimstone, his usual hobby horse?

Latest Threads