Integrated Review - Royal Air Force

I note that the Red Arrows are part of the 'persistent engagement' graphic...

No reference to the aircraft type, but the retirement of the Hawk T1 suggests that there may be a 'cunning plan' developing...

No reference to the aircraft type, but the retirement of the Hawk T1 suggests that there may be a 'cunning plan' developing...
The answer may be in the one sentence that mentions both types of aircraft . . . ;) !!

"This will include rationalising older fleets to improve efficiency, retiring Typhoon Tranche 1 by 2025, and Hawk T1"

. . . are the Typhoon Tranche 1 air-frames knackered, or is it just the avionics that are now out-of-date ?!

edit: As @Yokel #3630 !!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The answer may be in the one sentence that mentions both types of aircraft . . . ;) !!

"This will include rationalising older fleets to improve efficiency, retiring Typhoon Tranche 1 by 2025, and Hawk T1"

. . . are the Typhoon Tranche 1 air-frames knackered, or is it just the avionics that are now out-of-date ?!
Not even that. They're built differently to the later ones, which means they can't get the upgrades that the later ones can to allow them to undertake air-to-ground.

Perfectly good for air defence-only, mind.

Although the wording suggests that whilst the F1s are going - the squadrons using them arent and so its still 7 Sqns of Typhoon - Synthetic training and a smaller sustainment fleet would seem to be the answer

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer

Ladies and Gentlemen - The Red Drones.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Back to the future - paint up some Typhoons

CF31E133-D233-40C5-9A67-E0AD2635D269.jpeg

Cyberhacker

War Hero
Given the RAF's propensity to add squadron number plates to absolutely everything, I am surprised that the Red Arrows have never gained a shadow squadron ID.

Those Lightnings are in 56 colours... but perhaps 111 (of Hunter loop fame) might be an option?

Latest Threads