Integrated Review - Changes to Rotary Fleet

Bad CO

Admin
Blackhawks are nowhere near as big as you think they are and are super expensive to boot. Basically an American Merlin :)

Blackhawks are nowhere near as big as you think they are and are super expensive to boot. Basically an American Merlin :)

However, they pass the “JSOC use them, so we need them” test...

Bad CO

Admin
However, they pass the “JSOC use them, so we need them” test...
Aviation seems to be an area where we don't succumb quite as easily to US SF fashions.

You'll also note that we have managed to avoid buying Little Bird despite considerable pressure during the height of ops in Baghdad. Famously the SFAC Gp Capt **** stated that he would eat the ops room table if they weren't bought under UOR!

1616795655453.png

which is why Leonardo will pull out all the stops, fair and foul, to keep Blackhawks out of the fray.
If they get in, you’ll be under pressure to replace the problem child Grey Junglies with MH-60’s.

Nope as the Merlin Mk4 are way bigger than the MH-60S and btw USN does not use MH-60S in lifting anything more than a SEAL Team when tasked.... you forget its the USMC MV-22B, CH-53E and now K, UH-1Y that ferry the Marines.

Hand on heart I love to see a MH-60R Seahawk in Royal Navy colors for ASW/ASUW but it aint gonna happen.

Cheers

I’m out of the loop by a few years but when did Puma stop being second-rate shit?

last 2 decades, depending on whether you are on about Puma or SUper Puma/Cougar?

Anyhow 2 decades agi I attended Paris Air Show 2001, and my pics of Elbit Systems modified ROmanian IAR330L SOCAT Puma with then state of the art weapons management system, glass cockpits as an example.

91807208_10158559947656490_7367101980570812416_n.jpg
91458380_10158559947641490_6892675482123239424_n.jpg

cheers

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Nope as the Merlin Mk4 are way bigger than the MH-60S and btw USN does not use MH-60S in lifting anything more than a SEAL Team when tasked.... you forget its the USMC MV-22B, CH-53E and now K, UH-1Y that ferry the Marines.

Hand on heart I love to see a MH-60R Seahawk in Royal Navy colors for ASW/ASUW but it aint gonna happen.

Cheers

Grey Junglies spend most of their time acting as gofers, and Royals ain’t impressed by their reliability - ‘The sea king was slow, but it would always go’.

as regards ASW SH-60’s?
unless the RN is going to buy more HM Merlins, (never going to happen), any uplift in ASW numbers, (very not enough helos), is going to put them right in the frame, coz the only other option is NH-90, and that’s - Run Away!

Grey Junglies spend most of their time acting as gofers, and Royals ain’t impressed by their reliability - ‘The sea king was slow, but it would always go’.

as regards ASW SH-60’s?
unless the RN is going to buy more HM Merlins, (never going to happen), any uplift in ASW numbers, (very not enough helos), is going to put them right in the frame, coz the only other option is NH-90, and that’s - Run Away!

let’s not jump to any conclusions also slightly digressing the US Navy looking longer term for MH-60R replacement....

cheers

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
let’s not jump to any conclusions also slightly digressing the US Navy looking longer term for MH-60R replacement....

cheers
We’re a long way yet to go down that road.
2035 onwards..... meanwhile, the RN is growing rather a lot of deck spots with nothing to put on them.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer

cheers

Trouble is neither of the FLAA are suitable. Neither the Valor nor the Defiant will fit in current hangers, the Defiant being considerably too tall due to the contrarotating rotors. The Valour... No idea where they would put it.

Those Mi-17s that were gifted to the Afghans are being slowly replaced by blackhawks. Seems they aren't too impressed with the latter as it often takes 2 cabs to do what one did previously.

I assumed that operating costs for Russian kit would be considerably cheaper, though turns out it's merely competitive with the more efficient Western designs. Designed for mong maintenance which is considerably cheaper, but they use more fuel so swings and roundabouts.

Interesting RAND paper here, though uses colour coding rather than hard figures.

Australia is retiring its Black Hawk fleet and putting them up for sale.

riksavage

Old-Salt
When I was in the RHKP we used Blackhawks. The Police bought three. They were eventually binned and replaced with Super Puma. The Backhawk's ended up being shipped to China post-97 and were reverse engineered. The PRC has a near identical looking version now in service.

Prior to getting Blackhawks we flew about in S76, Wessex and Scouts. The Wessex had pretty decent headroom unlike the 'Slackhawk', our name for the Heli because the pilots were from the Government Flying Service and were very risk adverse when benchmarked against RAF 28 Sqn.

Latest Threads