Integrated Review - Changes to Rotary Fleet

Defence Command Paper said:
The UK’s oldest Chinook’s will be retired, and newer extended range Chinooks will be purchased. The paper also says the MOD will invest in a new medium-lift helicopter in the mid-2020s to consolidate the army’s ‘disparate fleet’ that included the Puma helicopter.

Rotary being replaced rather than cut

Specific reference to replacing older CH47 with newer ones and same for medium lift

Chinook in Lashkar Gar (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotary being replaced rather than cut

Specific reference to replacing older CH47 with newer ones and same for medium lift
But are the cuts to the Puma's going to be phased in when said replacements are being delivered? Or is it going to be cut now and promise something in the future?

Ok I think the Puma's are to be $hitcanned between 2023-2025, so unless this mythical replacement is in the works now, that replacement sounds more like a waterfall.

I suspect the replacement will be off the shelf rather than bespoke

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
I suspect the replacement will be off the shelf rather than bespoke

not only no! But hell no!
why should we buy another Wasteland commercial flop!
it’s only significant order was to Egypt.

1) Its a lot in common with the 139 which has been a fair success - so not exactly a bespoke design and it has a civil stablemate in the AW 189
2) Its fairly recent addition to the market so - as users increase so will appeal
3) It will bring work to the UK - and investment in UK industry.
4) Its pretty much perfect size for the Puma replacement

Personally its a decision i would get behind

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
1) Its a lot in common with the 139 which has been a fair success - so not exactly a bespoke design and it has a civil stablemate in the AW 189
2) Its fairly recent addition to the market so - as users increase so will appeal
3) It will bring work to the UK - and investment in UK industry.
4) Its pretty much perfect size for the Puma replacement

Personally its a decision i would get behind

painting a VIP helicopter haze Grey doesn’t make it a military one.
its been around for a decade and only managed to run up total sales of 30.
every time its offered up against the UH-60/S-70 in a procurement competition, it loses.

Having seen the statement of need for the new helicopters, someone is absolutely solutioneering...

If the Puma is shortly going out of service, unless we are prepared to do without a direct replacement, then our timelines will not align with the Americans.

The requirement looks similar to the HIL program

Anybody know what the budget will be for said medium lift replacement. I would gather starting with how much are you going to get is going to be the most important part of the equation, to build the solution.

I know Jack all about helicopters other than they are noisy and bumpy

The point of the link is that there are several off the shelf proposals that manufacturers are offering for delivery as Puma comes out of service

Steamboat asked if it was possible to replace Puma in time for the OSD
The answer is yes

I would imagine the decision on what with is probably already made as others have clearly hinted at

Gosh, imagine that! I can't believe that any of the services has ever done anything like that before ......
I presume there aren’t any air-ground Armed H145s already in existence....

Latest Threads