Intact WW2 Kittyhawk found in desert

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, May 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They better jildy jildy shift to retrieve it. Theres plenty of restorers out there that would love to make a quick million and can move faster than red tape bound officialdom.

Damn nice bit of kit though.
  2. If you've been following this story on PPRuNe or Flypast, you'll be as dismayed as I am to see the damage done by souvineer hunters since the discovery of the aircraft was made public.
  3. fu2

fu2 LE

In the report they say that the front landing gear would´nt retract ? Kittyhawk does`nt have a nose wheel.
  4. That's the standard of aviation reporting you get at the Telegraph, I'm afraid. I doubt if anyone in modern media would understand the significance of tailwheel aircraft.
  5. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

6. Kerrrist, looks like they have Scousers in the Sahara as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Will Brad Pitt play the lost pilot who walks to safety and is found by an American unit winning the Battle of El Alamein?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. An excellent link with superb photographs .

On a similar theme I read the story of the " Lady Be Good " an American bomber which was discovered years after WW2 , 1950's IIRC , by Oil exploration teams in the Middle East . It was in a good state having performed a belly landing after all the crew had bailed out . I think most of the crew survived bailing out but died crossing the desert ... one of them kept a diary of their ordeal which was also recovered ... sad reading .
  9. There's more than a little speculation going around the bazaars that the pilot may not have tried walking out, but whose remains may be found when they get under the wing.