Int Officer vs Int Soldier

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Wetfish, Mar 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I’m trying to weight up the pros and cons of becoming either an Int Officer or and Int soldier, whilst also trying to find the best fit for me.

I’m trying to make the most informed decision and any pointers would be appreciated.
    I recently graduated from a top 10 university with a science degree (not that it actually matters in the real world), and have a state school background.

I have a mild interest in leadership, but a stronger interest in military intelligence work.
    From what I have gleaned from ARRSE int soldiers do pretty much all of the actual intelligence work and therefore more likely to continue working in such fields after they leave the army. Int officers are just management in the corp– is this true, or an exaggeration?

Due to this I am leaning more towards becoming and int soldier. However out of the few soldiers and officers I know (none of which have been in the corp) they all say becoming a soldier where you have the capability (A levels etc) to become an officer is stupid…is this true? the int corp different in this respect?

I guess I’m trying to find out whether the work and training of an int soldier is interesting enough to outweigh the apparent officer perks and leadership opportunity and training.
  2. With a few exceptions, the Corps/trade "work" is done by other ranks. Officers do management. Exceptions are trades such a Doctor/Dentist/EHO, ATO etc. Regiments will have officers doing some aspect of the trade/role before moving into the admin side of things as they get promoted - ie Infantry, Arty etc
  3. You might want to have a look at this thread first

In their own way Intelligence Corps soldiers can be highly adaptable, deeply analytic, with well developed problem- solving abilities . They are normally highly motivated and do not need to be led in the conventional sense.

They will get the job done, sometimes in a style or method that was completely unexpected.

As an officer, the principles of leadership you are taught at Sandhurst will stand you in good stead. The method you apply these down stream may vary from your contemporaries in other arms and services.

As an officer you will need to understand the true value of the product your soldiers are creating and ensure that value is recognised up the chain of command. Only last week I heard an experienced practitioner telling me he was fed up writing INTSUMS that no one reads.

Getting your soldiers the professional resources they need to do the job has always been a sticking point. Adaptability will only get you so far, better process and resource maximise war fighting principles like Economy of Effort, Unity of Purpose and Concentration of Force. At the end of the day we are here to help keep people alive and to prevail over the adversary.

Making them feel valued. This applies to junior officers as much as soldiers. These bright young people have their wits about them, if they find their Leadership is pedestrian, possibly always looking up, and not down the chain of command, then the will vote, with their feet. Then you will often find them in FTSE 100, young officers in the City. Staff Feeling under-valued in the Intelligence and Security community is nothing new, I see it in the civilian agencies every day. The report of the 1984 Security Commission probably still has a place in our officer training today.

The quality of officer training, and the quality of young officers has improved over time. Certainly since HS's day. Today officers will have a grounding in the technical aspects of their work, and like the soldiers, will know who to ring up for a steer or advice ( if they are any good). Most Civvy employers will not understand the difference between officer, soldier, Royal Marine trombonist, or a WREN air tech trying to get in to Business Class.

If you want to immerse yourself in the dark arts with the prospect of becoming a poorly paid civil servant at the end, then soldier may be the way for you. If you aspire to the privilege of leading some of the Army's brightest soldiers, herding cats, trying to beat up your immediate superior and having a crack at being a Two Star General then the path of the DE officer may be for you.

When you come out of the Army, who gets what job is a lottery. Some soldiers rise to great heights, some officers drastically under-sell themselves. There is an excellent support network for those that bother to engage.
    • Like Like x 6
  4. BTW after my final 6 years as an officer, I still wonder about those perks the OP talked about.

The honour of leading small groups of desperate and determined men an women was probably the top perk. After the Poulson monstrosity at Ashford, having an Officers' mess that the Cavalry would die for, is a close second.

But no dogs allowed in our Mess, of course.............😇
  5. Subsonic knows what he is talking about, having risen through the ranks to staff rank during his time in and out of uniform. You could do a lot worse than follow his advice.

As one of my older chums has commented on this site before - Some are born great, some have greatness thrust upon them, and some are made to be great - although in his case, he modestly admits to being all three !

However, unlike me, he's never been to the University of Oxford !
    • Like Like x 1
  6. INT CORPS soldier = piece of piss
    INT CORPS officer = hard work

Take your pick.
  7. Thank you for the replies, what subbsonic said has given me some serious food for thought.
  8. And has probably caused him to have to lie down in a darkened room with a cool damp cloth on his forehead.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Who was that man?......he modestly admits to bring all three.

Reb got the highest score at RCB, but he was the only one there that week

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  10. Officers have bigger pensions based on the same length of time served. Also after 12 years of soldier service you might be a SSgt or exceptionally WO2, as an officer you'd be a Major earning significantly more. Not the only reason for consideration, but it is still significant
  11. Guy walks into a Careers office and is met by the big burly Careers Sgt
    "What do want you be in the Army son?"
    "I wish to be an Intelligence Officer"
    Sorry son, you can't be both!"

Boom tish, the old one's are the best!!
    Taxi, coat . . . .etc.
  12. I've never heard that joke.
  13. RCB? Never heard of it. Cash HS who carries cash, I have a person who looks after that sort of detail.