Int Corps Selection

Britreb

Swinger
Some great replies and info on here. Well done to those that have contributed. I have just one more question?
My lad is off for his bash at Pirbright in a weeks time. I am confident that he will do well. He has chosen, you guessed it, the Int Corps. He has told that he will have to go on a selection for this.

I have a rough idea what it might be, but does anyone know what this selection consists of? What does he need to do etc, prior to his arrival?

It was very easy for me to get in... but I joined the Royal Engineers!!!

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
There are a number of threads in here covering just that, but the short version is:

Be informed about current affairs - read a quality paper daily, check out the weeklies such as the Spectator, New Statesman or The Week. Be prepared to discuss not just what's happening, but why and what it might mean.

Be yourself. The Corps knows what it's looking for and knows it when it sees it. The more open and honest a candidate is, the better insight the Corps gets into whether or not they'd be a good fit.

It's not a pass or fail thing. If a candidate is found not suited to the Corps, just getting that far opens an incredible range of other good jobs Army-wide.

Pre-attendance information on the selection process is deliberately scant - the Corps doesn't want folk gaming the system. If you're suitable, you're suitable - if not, it probably wouldn't be doing a candidate that many favours taking him into the Corps at risk.

I can only echo what the esteemed gentleman states above. The Int Corps is a broad church and there is space for the serious, the funny, the intellectual grafter, the lucky gifted, the hard worker and the ‘bit strange’.
Look at the Army website for an overview of Corps roles. The core Corps skills don’t change much but how they are applied have changed a bit since @Glad_its_all_over and I were wielding our chinagraph pens on the map board!

The Corps has an extensive Twitter feed and hosts webinars with serving personnel that can only help with a background knowledge of Corps matters.

As Glad says, non-selection by Int Corps is not a bar to a successful military career.

Britreb

Swinger
Thank you Gents. Very informative. I especially like the bit about 'just be yourself'. It makes sense. Well, it's down to him now, fingers crossed!

@devexwarrior

Echo that - "The Bit Strange", the Corps put up with my oddities.

Just tripped over this very good paper on "what makes a good analyst" which helped me recently thinking a problem over.

But dare I say it, from my limited insight into the Corps (and all my usual bitter cynicism apart) - Integrity is all. You are asking people to make decisions on your judgement, integrity is all.

Don't bluff or make stuff up, never lie; and if you don't know, say I don't know - but I either know someone who does, or I will get back to you having found out.

Britreb

Swinger
Update. He smashed basic selection (fitness) and then had an Interview afterwards... with a man in a suit! Chatted for a while about family etc (which he already knew about). He then recommended my lad for the next stage and Int Corps. However, he is now on hold as there are no places at the mo! Lad is gutted, but gives him some more time to do some reading etc. Here's hoping.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Update. He smashed basic selection (fitness) and then had an Interview afterwards... with a man in a suit! Chatted for a while about family etc (which he already knew about). He then recommended my lad for the next stage and Int Corps. However, he is now on hold as there are no places at the mo! Lad is gutted, but gives him some more time to do some reading etc. Here's hoping.
Fingers crossed firmly for the lad. How long is the hold likely to be, have they indicated at all?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks mate. No dates as yet, but I have told him to be prepared in case there is a cancellation or drop out. He's been waiting a year now to get in.
Is he working in the mean time or is he a dependent upon the Bank of Mum And Dad?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Give him his due, he has 2 jobs going, so not a real drain!!
Good stuff. All the best to him - and you, we like Sappers around here, they're mainly housebroken.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I did say 'mainly'. Any time I see a Sapper wearng matching shoes, I know he's giving it his very best shot.

Latest Threads