Int Corps Sailing, Windsurfing, Kitesurfing, Dinghy

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by vampire_pb, Jun 23, 2010.

?
  1. Yes, I've not sailed before and want to know more.

30.0%
  2. I've sailed before and want to do more.

10.0%
  3. I'd love to but my boss sends me on ops instead.

10.0%
  4. No thanks I'd rather ski/run/walk/climb/other

50.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is a growing number of members of the Int Corps involved in sailing (everything from kitesurfing to racing big yachts offshore) and there is now an Int Corps Sailing Association (ICSA) up and running to help.

The aims of ICSA are to develop a self-sustaining base of sailing talent in the Corps, to contribute to promoting the Corps, to support and develop competitive sailing and to sponsor and support adventurous training exercises.

In order to do this, we need more people to come and give it a go - regular and TA, soldier and officer, young and old.

Those who find it enjoyable will be encouraged to gain qualifications and take those further through running exercises or expeditions and ultimately training other members of the Corps themselves.

If you are new to sailing and interested please let us know. If you already have sailing qualifications or experience, we're keen to hear from you. If sailing doesn't appeal then do tell us why. If you're desperate to go sailing and work seems to be getting in the way, we know the feeling and have all been there, keep trying and do get in touch.

Please have a look at the ICSA pages on DII and ArmyNet. Please contribute to the debate, we're keen to hear from you and see you out on the water!!

2. How about "I sailed before and enjoyed it, but I scared myself silly when the mast almost snapped in the Channel" or similar. It was a Nich 55 that we sailed from Malaga to Gosport via Gib and Portugal. Hearing the rigging line snap at 0300 while trying to sleep in a channel storm was almost akin to hearing a truck crash next door...

I'll stick to Alpine skiing disciplines now thanks very much. But I recommend that everyone else should have a go at off-shore sailing...

3. How about "I sailed before and enjoyed it, but I scared myself silly when we ran out of food and water still with two days sailing to reach land" or similar. It was a Nich 55 that we sailed from xxx to yyy. Hearing that we were only allowed one cup of water per day was almost akin to not getting a kebab after a night out...

I'll also stick to Alpine skiing disciplines now thanks very much. But I also recommend that everyone else should have a go at off-shore sailing...

4. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

5. All for it. In the early 90s one of our enterprising Sgts (holder of an Offshore Skipper piece of paper) led a yachting expedition consisting of a band of SMIU operators bursting with enthusiasm about reefs, knots, sheets etc from Larne to the mainland.

It very quickly became apparent that sails and windlasses were items unassociated with sunbathing, so we motored to Portpatrick, got ratted and motored back.

6. Int Corps Sailing, Windsurfing, Kitesurfing, Dinghy ?

sadly guys and gals this will not get you IMO accreditted security Qualification - needs to be over 500 tunnage.

TMA -

Currently regrading himself (and the good Mrs TMA) in both SSO and PFSO quals somewhere off the Sardinan coast. Anyone seen my Corps coloured deck shoes ?

Highlander Spy - can you print me off a couple of certs for when I return ?

Sub - Sonar just picked up what sounded like a wheel chair (circa 1985) !

WB - talking the water, any news of them submarines in the Lough recently ?

7. Any post-match commentary then Mr Marsh??

......I hear you still have sources close to the Squad, who will need most counselling?.

8. The only source TMA has got is HP!

9. The G&G 25m Sunseeker (in Corps colours of course) has within the past hour moored at its berthing place for the next few days - Port Vell Marina. Before I change into blazer, slacks etc and await the return of the very seaworthy Mrs TMA from Carrefour, Las Ramblers with some requisite supplies – including of course some HP and a bottle or 2 of `tommy k` - I shall be thinking of you all as I attend a `networking event ` in the Royal Maritime Club of Barcelona this evening.

If any of you are in the vicinity of Passeig Joan de Borbó in the next few days please call in and I will treat you for tea and toast in Cantina dels Mariners.

PS – Highlander Spy do you have a copy of your Piracy brief in Catalan ?

10. If she gets in to Corte Ingles on Plaça de Catalunya, you will have a long wait, and probably not much of your hard-earned left.

11. According to Skype Bourne has left Barcelona, we believe he is headed to Tangier.

This is a Level One threat to National security people! Why has he gone there?.....pass his Yellow Band File....