Int Corps recruitment, smoke screen or harsh reality?

#1
Hello to the good people of ARRSE, I was wondering if you could help me with a slight problem I have. I'm a young wide eyed and naive university student soon to jump into the bottomless pit of employment, to which I looked for a career in the army. Scouring every scrap of information available off many a website I decided upon the Int Corps as the one that appealed the most I made contact with the AFCO and eventually got a one-to-one appointment with an officer army careers advisor. Up until this point everyone who I had spoke to told me "yes, fine, the corps is great, sign up, no problems". Upon walking through the door the ACA told me plainly that I would simply never be an Intelligence officer because I was not strong enough acdemically. I am an average grade student and speak another language. I am aware as the title implies that intelligence is required, but is there no other way to be an officer?
 
#2
You could join an infantry unit which has its own Intelligence Officer (IO). It is a long time since I served, but some of the battalion officers got rotated into that job, and I assume the same system still applies. The duties will not be as broad as the Intelligence Corps, of course, but if you shine, perhaps you can transfer.

By the way, I take it "acdemically" is a typing error. Any weaknesses in spelling at your stage will be noted, so please remember to spellcheck everything. Hope this helps, and good luck with your application.
 
#3
That sounds like rather a harsh judgement by the ACA. As far as I know, the selection of (and by) cap badge at Sandhurst doesn't happen until right at the other end of the course. Just getting to Sandhurst is the major hurdle - AOSB is a challenging experience and they know exactly what they're looking for there.

I suppose the key question is "do you want to be an Army officer?" - i.e. command soldiers and all that implies, or "do you want to be an intelligence officer?". If the latter, you might be better advised to look at either the Security Service or Secret Intelligence Service.

Another option to consider, if you want to do intelligence and be in the Army, is to enlist in the Intelligence Corps as a soldier. Graduates are relatively common in the ranks (hell, some are downright vulgar) and you get to do stuff, rather than be in distant charge of it :)
 
#4
Glad_its_all_over said:
That sounds like rather a harsh judgement by the ACA. As far as I know, the selection of (and by) cap badge at Sandhurst doesn't happen until right at the other end of the course. Just getting to Sandhurst is the major hurdle - AOSB is a challenging experience and they know exactly what they're looking for there.

I suppose the key question is "do you want to be an Army officer?" - i.e. command soldiers and all that implies, or "do you want to be an intelligence officer?". If the latter, you might be better advised to look at either the Security Service or Secret Intelligence Service.

Another option to consider, if you want to do intelligence and be in the Army, is to enlist in the Intelligence Corps as a soldier. Graduates are relatively common in the ranks (hell, some are downright vulgar) and you get to do stuff, rather than be in distant charge of it :)
Couldnt agree more, the soldiers and Seniors produce the analytical product, Officers manage.
 
#5
John_Smith01 said:
Hello to the good people of ARRSE, I was wondering if you could help me with a slight problem I have. I'm a young wide eyed and naive university student soon to jump into the bottomless pit of employment, to which I looked for a career in the army. Scouring every scrap of information available off many a website I decided upon the Int Corps as the one that appealed the most I made contact with the AFCO and eventually got a one-to-one appointment with an officer army careers advisor. Up until this point everyone who I had spoke to told me "yes, fine, the corps is great, sign up, no problems". Upon walking through the door the ACA told me plainly that I would simply never be an Intelligence officer because I was not strong enough acdemically. I am an average grade student and speak another language. I am aware as the title implies that intelligence is required, but is there no other way to be an officer?
Welcome to the site, John_Smith01!

The average ACA interviews a lot of candidates and may have a jaundiced view of the world. I guess I would be similarly jaundiced if I had to interview many of those who proclaim on ARRSE that they wish to be "an Officer in the British Army".

If you want to be commissioned into the British Army, start the process with the ACA and the ACIO. Then pass the AOSB and attend Sandhurst, putting the Int Corps as your preferred Corps. If you show promise during your time at Sandhurst, the Intelligence Corps, amongst others, will queue up and offer you a place. Simple.

Do not be put off by a jaundiced ACA. Get off your arrse and show the ACIO and then the AOSB why you are the best thing since sliced bread.

However, the process is designed to eliminate mediocrity; if you are "an average grade student" I might suggest that you are on a hiding to nothing!

Litotes
 
#6
Old_Gregg said:
Glad_its_all_over said:
That sounds like rather a harsh judgement by the ACA. As far as I know, the selection of (and by) cap badge at Sandhurst doesn't happen until right at the other end of the course. Just getting to Sandhurst is the major hurdle - AOSB is a challenging experience and they know exactly what they're looking for there.

I suppose the key question is "do you want to be an Army officer?" - i.e. command soldiers and all that implies, or "do you want to be an intelligence officer?". If the latter, you might be better advised to look at either the Security Service or Secret Intelligence Service.

Another option to consider, if you want to do intelligence and be in the Army, is to enlist in the Intelligence Corps as a soldier. Graduates are relatively common in the ranks (hell, some are downright vulgar) and you get to do stuff, rather than be in distant charge of it :)
Couldnt agree more, the soldiers and Seniors produce the analytical product, Officers manage.
Most of the officers seem to hardly get by, :lol: let alone manage!!
 
#7
What degree are you doing? What language do you speak and how well?
 
#8
John_Smith01 said:
Hello to the good people of ARRSE, I was wondering if you could help me with a slight problem I have.
John_ you seem to have difficulty replying.

Have you lost your password, or do you already have enought information for your article?
 
#9
CR has been tearily nostalgic for Barbgenius over the last few days. Other than the fact that this lunatic has a vague idea what capital letters are for, I'd suggest our chubby chum was having another go.
 
#10
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
I am an average grade student, especially when pitted against 12 year olds. I also pride myself for being able to speak 'eggy' language, taught to me as a young child by the kind girls in the Wendy tent as those nasty boys played football, uurgh how rough! I can also talk as much b0llocks as you can listen to, so yes I do actually believe I could make the grade as an Orifficer
Mmmmm! All beginning to make sense now. :D :D :D
 
#11
Hello folks, dreadfully sorry for the late reply as I have been preoccupied with the 'heavy' burden of finishing university. Thank you for your responses, especially to what you may see as another 'wannabe officer', you do make a good point or two and have shed a great deal of light on the matter. The officer path does appeal to me immensely in general, yet on closer inspection so does the role of a regular in the Int Corps, especially the choices you are presented with in regards to the specialisations. In answer to what I study: War studies and Russian language on the side. I know enough to help me bungle around, out of 10 I'd say I'm about a 7, also some Polish, though I doubt Russian is all that useful in the current climate. I should finish my degree with a 2:1.
As you say however, selection of (and by) cap badge at Sandhurst doesn't happen until right at the other end of the course, offering just a minute glimmer of possibility, whilst then again, as a regular you get to do stuff, rather than be in distant charge of it.
Personally I now think I'm slightly erring on the side of having a crack at the Int Corps as a regular, as it seems equally as challenging and interesting as any officer role out there, but I still want to find more information out fist before making any serious commitments.
 
#12
Perevodchik said:
CR has been tearily nostalgic for Barbgenius over the last few days. Other than the fact that this lunatic has a vague idea what capital letters are for, I'd suggest our chubby chum was having another go.
"chubby chum"? that's not very nice, is it? it's not like i call you a diminutive dildo, or a pocket-sized pillock, or a... well, you get the idea lol

anyway, it's not me, you fucking hobbit / leprechaun crossbreed. :D

alfie, wtf is "eggy" language? :?
 
#13
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
alfie, wtf is "eggy" language? :?
Dunno either, but seems to point to a hint of prior knowledge on Alfie's part. What else did you learn inside the tent Alfie?
 
#14
ALREADYJACKEDGENIUS said:
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
alfie, wtf is "eggy" language? :?
Dunno either, but seems to point to a hint of prior knowledge on Alfie's part. What else did you learn inside the tent Alfie?
"Eggy" language is more widely known as "Eggy-Peggy" and is usually learnt in primary school playgrounds during break time. It involves inserting the word "egg" into every syllable (immediately before the vowel) - eg army becomes eggarmeggy, Alfie becomes Eggalfeggie and so on. Easy with short and simple words, less so with, say, antidisestablishmentarianism or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantisiliogogogoch. "Eggy-Peggy" can be used with almost any language, therefore very useful for Int Corps types perhaps, as a cunning secret code. Or something.
 
#15
Hobo, I just can't wait to see your proposed changes to JSP 602 .

The excitement is almost too much to bear.

Would anyone like a Hob Nob?
 
#17
John, if you go to page 32 of the INT CORPS recruitment sticky, you may find it helpful as Younghopeful was in a similar position.

(Are they chocolate AJG?)
 
#19
ALREADYJACKEDGENIUS said:
What else did you learn inside the tent Alfie?
That once a bloke like CR had bored all the girls stupid, they'd be a bit more amenable to pre-adolescent fumblings with the more normal boys once football was finished. :D :D :D
 
#20
Alfie_Boy said:
ALREADYJACKEDGENIUS said:
What else did you learn inside the tent Alfie?
That once a bloke like CR had bored all the girls stupid, they'd be a bit more amenable to pre-adolescent fumblings with the more normal boys once football was finished. :D :D :D
that wasn't boredom, that was the rohypnol kicking in ;)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Int Corps 1
G Int Corps 2
G Int Corps 9

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top