Int corps, getting your hands dirty

Discussion in 'Officers' started by HiHoJo, Sep 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Just wanted to ask a question about the int. corps. I've been looking at inf. regiments and whilst I've been offered sponsorship and interviews etc. It was suggested to me by my ACA that I look at the Intelligence corps just to show that I had considered other options and not blindly waltzed into the inf.

What i wanted to ask is firstly, with what kind of regard are the Int. corps held within the army? Is it considered as it is marketed, secretive and interesting or in fact a little "namby pamby" and waltish?

Also how much scope is there for an Int. corps officer to branch out and do any front line jobs?

I'm asking this because I'd like to look at the corps with an open mind as I suppose the idea of analyzing intelligence and doing recon interests me somewhat.

As always with arrse I'm now crouching in my fox hole to await incoming flak!

Cheers,
    Joe

2. Suggest you ask the question in the Intelligence Corps thread as well.

Some will tell you what they think and you will get a wide range of answers, including some based on second and third hand information. The Intelligence Corps is a relatively small part of the Army, as an officer, sadly you will still have chance to get killed in action.

If your decision is going to be formed by a number of anonymous posters on the www, then the Intelligence Corps may not be the place for you.

3. "Data, data, data- I cannot make bricks without clay"

4. Perhaps if you want to do "recon" perhaps the US army would be better, especially armored recon in colored vehicles!

5. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Jo,

Same advice as for most regiments, get on a visit to Chicksands and, one way or another, you'll find most of the answers you want in the bar.

I'll let the rest of the forum tell you what they think of the Int Corps personally, but bear in mind that professionally it is seen as important enough to be one of the only areas across defence that is actually growing under the current climate of cuts.

Increasingly slim scope, I'm afraid. Up until very recently, Int Corps officers straight out of Sandhurst went on an attachment to the infantry, which in recent years has been geared towards getting some experience forward on tour, as subsonic pointed out with his link. From now, although Int Corps soldiers are increasingly getting the chance to go 'on the ground', the attachments are changing and Int Corps officers will probably be less likely to get experience outside HQs. There are slim to no other intelligence officer jobs which mean deploying forward within the Corps - although the actual rate of being deployed into theatre is among the highest in the Army - so you would have to work pretty hard and/or luck out to get your feet dusty.

If that is an itch you have to scratch (and it is one I completely understand and think should be a requirement for any intelligence officer) then there is a fairly well-worn path of officers who do a few years in an infantry regiment, then transfer to the Int Corps at around Captain level.

If you want to do reconnaissance, join the infantry or formation recce. If you want to do intelligence analysis, join the Int Corps. Simples!

6. Good answer, I like that.

And of course, you will be able to 'relate' for want of a better term, exactly what the anaysis etc you and your guys are doing, to the guys on the ground