Insurance Fraud

walkyrie

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
AeM

Out of interest, did you ever get involved in 'exaggeration' (my word) fraud? Is it particularly prolific?

I only ask as some years ago I was involved in the most insignificant of (genuine) prangs, which apparently turned into a written off car and a huge whiplash claim for the other side. Long story short she got done for fraud in the end.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I'm quite happy to move this and 'sticky' it in the Cars and bikes forum as I can't see where else on the site it would naturally sit.

Thanks Forastero, If you 'sticky' it, you may consider removing the posts that are not related. This is not a slur on the posters in any way.

Ta.

Why not sticky AeM's posts, in one "new" thread, and leave the thread 'as is', as it is sure to attract further comment?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why not sticky AeM's posts, in one "new" thread, and leave the thread 'as is', as it is sure to attract further comment?

I like this idea, it took me bloody ages to find a decent pic of a '58 pattern large pack.

I like this idea, it took me bloody ages to find a decent pic of a '58 pattern large pack.

Oh, i get it now...

It came to me this morning, as I layin my bed in the sun...

Some gimp in a van type thing (estate car with metal windows if that makes sense) either made a really bad mistake or planned to make me crash into him I think. We were at this roundabout near Barton-le-Clay Note: this image out of date, the left lane cleary arrows left and straight and the right lane clearly arrows right, the first part of the dual carrigeway has been resurfaced to hide the dividing 2 lane lines in order to reflect this, it has also been painted in order to narrow the lane so that presumably 1 car at a time can go through). He was in the left hand lane I approached the right lane slowly behind him. Please bear in mind with my eco-driving I always cruise ('coast' in-gear i.e. slowing down naturally without using breaks) so naturally slowed down to the required speed, the point being we left the two lanes at the same time...

Then whilst on the roundabout, he decides to go into the dual-carriageway-with-a-single-lane i.e. this is not really allowed 1) He was in wrong lane 2) lane has been narrowed so I had to enter the painted square box thing 3) everyone goes into the left lane after half-way.

I think, he knew this is the case, and tried to stage an 'accident' in order for an insurance claim or some financial gain.

I managed to spot this car coming my way and avoided going to the left hand side and managed to safely go into the other lane

I understand it could be perfectly plausible that this was a genuine mistake but my instinct tells me this is not the case because of the events preceding the event or what I would call the suspicious behaviour.

I always keep my distance. This guy was going slow...45-55mph mostly on a NSL. Ok fine. I don't care, more fuel efficiency for me any way, I knew it was a dual-carriageway up ahead so still kept my distance. He seemed to be doing weird things like you could not see his head from the back glass and it looked like he was looking in the right-hand side mirror, possibly rummaging around the ground door compartment that stores things (sorry I don't know the technical word), when he was looking he slowed down and put on windscreen wipers with water for an extended period in what I interpret as a deliberate attempt (successful) to wet my windscreen..possibly in an attempt (unsuccessful) to annoy me. I just went back further and observed... Not only he was distracted by the door compartment, but it seemed like he was trying to annoy me by continuing to change speeds.

After the event happened, he speedily drove off (although I was technically in the overtaking lane...and forced might I add) and went much faster 60mph+ and cleared the resurfaced road before I could turn back to the left. I interpret this as him being p****d off because he failed to cause me to crash...

DCP, It sounds like, as you have suggested, he was either simply driving badly and innatentively or he was deliberately trying to annoy you (for reasons we dont know). It doesnt sound like an insurance fraud situation.

DCP, It sounds like, as you have suggested, he was either simply driving badly and innatentively or he was deliberately trying to annoy you (for reasons we dont know). It doesnt sound like an insurance fraud situation.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the straight-forward response and patience.

One that has become quite common over here is the right of way crash.

Give way to the right on non signed junctions is the law here and what these gangs do is to park a vehicle, usually a van or something with few windows, right at the end of the junction and then they have a lookout stood opposite the road (at the top of the "T") and then they have a car next to the van* and when the lookout sees a car that is going to fast to stop in time they just drive out either into the path or side of the appoaching car.

Instant claim for everything you can think of as "give way to the right" is the law and there is very little wriggle room for the person "causing" the accident.

* this is hard to describe without pictures but hey ho.

One that has become quite common over here is the right of way crash.

Give way to the right on non signed junctions is the law here and what these gangs do is to park a vehicle, usually a van or something with few windows, right at the end of the junction and then they have a lookout stood opposite the road (at the top of the "T") and then they have a car next to the van* and when the lookout sees a car that is going to fast to stop in time they just drive out either into the path or side of the appoaching car.

Instant claim for everything you can think of as "give way to the right" is the law and there is very little wriggle room for the person "causing" the accident.

* this is hard to describe without pictures but hey ho.
There were rumours of German civvies doing this to military vehicles in Germany many years ago. Apparently, if you didn't give way they'd shunt gently into the side of you, knowing the army preferred to pay out rather than argue the toss. Anyone actually experience this?

There were rumours of German civvies doing this to military vehicles in Germany many years ago. Apparently, if you didn't give way they'd shunt gently into the side of you, knowing the army preferred to pay out rather than argue the toss. Anyone actually experience this?

I heard a rumour about this, I also heard that there was a sharp decrease in the practice when someone tried it on a CET; the commander 'inadvertently' spun the frog round to the right, resulting in the bucket trashing the car. Allegedly he made a comment about doing a job properly. <whistles>

Latest Threads