Insurance - Driving other Car Extension

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by garyrjb, Jan 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. We all jump in our mates' cars knowing we are insured on our own fully comp insurance right? Wrong! not all companies allow this and are removing it with little or no warning if it does not say you are covered on your certificate then you are not!

    I am insured through the AA and my policy is underwritten by ABC insurance I recently emailed them to find out why they will not cover as they do offer it to some people. I am 45 with a clean licence and have never claimed on any car insurance. The answer is it is because I am a soldier. Here is the email reply:

    Thank you for your email below regarding your motor insurance policy with us placed by the AA Insurance.

    Our criteria for allowing the Driving Other Cars (DOC) extension is made up of a number of factors and is restricted for certain occupations.

    At ABC we restrict the DOC extension for all driving related occupations or those where the individual has access to multiple vehicles.

    For military personnel, as they have access to multiple vehicles, of different type and specification, and also they can be driven in areas such as air fields or off-road we do not permit the DOC extension on their private car policies.

    It is also important to mention that the DOC extension should only be used in emergencies and not a contingency for driving other vehicles without appropriate insurance.

    The cover provided is very restricted and if you regularly drive other vehicles you should be added as a named driver to the insurance policy covering that vehicle.

    We are unable to provide this cover for you, however if you require DOC on your policy the AA Insurance should have placed you with another of their insurers who can provide this for you.

    I suggest you contact them in order to arrange suitable alternative cover.

    I hope this has clarified our position for you, but if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

    Yours sincerely,

    Kim Rowan

    Kim Rowan
    ABC Insurance


    So theres the answer and they are not alone other companies are doing this aswell.

    I advise checking your policy carefully!
  2. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Also in relation to the military land and airfields make sure they don't exlude these areas from your car insurance as well.

    Had an interesting conversation where the Insurance company would reduce my renewal price as i kept the car locked up on a military base over night (a secure location), but then refused to insure me while driving on the airfield (the same base).....tried to explain the issues and ended up going with another company.

  3. Is this something that used to be standard on fully comp policies? I've heard it mentioned in the past, but have never expected to find this cover on a policy. I assumed it was something you'd ask for if you were in the motor trade.

    Out of interest, what's to stop a 17 year old taking out a cheap fully comp policy on a Toyota Yaris and using it to drive around in a Ferrari? Or am I missing something?

    Genuinely confused!
  4. No mate, your not missing something.
    You can only drive another car IF, it is insured by the cars owner.
    ie, I own and insure a Ferrari. You are NOT a named driver on my policy.
    I could allow you to drive my Ferrari on your insurance policy, PROVIDING you have the DRIVING ANY CAR addition. Be aware that, you would only be driving the Ferrari, with the minimum insurance required by law. (Third party only). So I would be a silly man to let you take my £100,000 Ferrari for a spin with only third party insurance ;-)

    Hope that helps mate
  5. Makes sense!
  6. Yes it used to be standard I have been driving for 27 years knowing I was able to do this.

    Your 2nd part example is called fronting and is the reason they are trying to cut this out. But remember it is only basic third party insurance so if you trash the ferrari you lose big bucks. Also the Ferrari (in most cases) needs to be insured and was usually done in daddy's name.

    However if they set realistic insurance quotes for new young drivers and then only penalised the bad drivers in their 2nd year they wouldn't have so much of a problem! Do you know 130,000 young drivers were prosecuted for driving without insurance last year. Not really suprising when my 18 year old nephew (just joined the Navy, but never mind) is paying £2000.00 for a corsa agila worth £1500.00. The fine is much cheaper than the insurance.
  7. Thanks feed the yak wish I had read your post first it puts over the point much more succinctly!
  8. Agreed - insurance is insane. That said, the way young lads drive it's hardly surprising. They've no concept of the danger they're putting themselves and everybody else in.
  9. Use the NFU instead. I wouldn't trust the AA with a Scalextric set.
  10. That is, generally, an urban myth, it's only the case if your policy says the other car must be insured. I've never had a policy that specifies it.

    The catch is, as you say, you're 3rd party only in a Ferarri, in addition, if nobody else has insurance on it:
    You can't tax it.
    If you leave it unattended on the highway its uninsured which is an offence
    You'll get pinged and stoped by any ANPR insurance check points
  11. Think you'll find yak is right, all vehicles have to have insurance aswell as the driver driving the vehicle if your not the registered owner to that vehicle, to which you are then only insured 3rd party. The police did at one time take vehicles off uninsured drivers and let a fully comp person with proof retrieve the vehicle for them to take from A to B, but now they want to see proof of the vehicle being insured these days. Its not classed as uninsured on a highway either if you leave it unattended, its classed as an obstruction or likely to cause danger to other highway users if its left in an unsafe manner, depending how long its been there in some cases, or they receive complaints
  12. You're missing something else. Usually, there's a clause that says that you can only drive the other car in extenuating circumstances. For example if you're a passenger and the insured driver is suddenly taken ill, you can take over the wheel to get the driver home or to hospital and remain covered to the minimum level required by law. Leaving the insured driver in the hospital and driving the car back to his house may not qualify.
  13. Although I have heard of this clause, In my 20 years of driving and holding Insurance, I have never had this clause in my Insurance Policy. I certainly do not think it is the 'Norm'. I believe that, the insurance companies only put this clause in, on policies where the holder has certain convictions etc. Trying to define an Emergency in a court of law, may prove a little argumentative. I seem to remember, Sir Alex Fergusson, getting off a speeding on the hard shoulder fine, because it was an emergency that he had Diarrhea and needed to get to a toilet. Would be interested to hear from any Arsse'r, who has this clause specifically worded in their policy.
  14. I have such a clause in my current policy and every UK policy I have ever had!

    I am covered third party only in any car that is legally on the road and not owned by me (taxed, insured and MOT and belongs to someone else).

    I certainly consider it to be the norm and would be reluctant to take out a policy that did not have it. I rarely drive anyone else's car but it is good to know I can legally do so.