"insulting Turkishness"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Dec 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4527318.stm

Why do you think a genocide against one people (that of course took place) is in the centre of international concern while another almost equally ugly genocide is almost unnoticed?

Is it possible ever to speak about Turkish membership in EU? Why does mr.Blair keep silence? Maybe Turkey should be invaded? Why not?

And what does Boris think about it?

2. Because Turkey is a secular democracy and a good model for the other Middle Eastern countries, plus it's a nice place to go on holiday as long as you don't drink the water and Turkish girls are very beautiful :wink:

He probably hasn't forgiven them for banning the Fez!

3. Except for them being tw@ts about the whole Armenian genocide thingy, that is. :p

4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

On these lines I demand that we invade the United States in the name of democracy.

They have carried out genocide against the native people, they have a nuclear programme, they have an unelected leader, they threaten and bully democratically elected governments such as Canada and Venezuela and they have OIL!

When will Mr. Bush stand up to this evil regime and do the right thing?

After that he can have a crack at France (sorry, silly me, only olive oil in France)

5. I don't like Turks and never have. They are sneaky so and so's. But I think the threat of Fundamentalism means that our so called leaders feel that they'd rather have them inside the tent p*ssing out, than outside the tent p*ssing in.

6. The Turks are generally a decent bunch who value the National Pride highly-just try insulting the flag and see what happens. it does seem strange that whilst other countries have come to terms with things thier ancestors did which now look criminal they have not. They are not the only ones mind you-the Germans forget the genocide in south west africa about the same time andd there are others.

7. So is it OK for Germany to jail anybody for "insulting Germanness"?

8. Sergey, yes it is especially if you are Turkish!

9. I´m not sure that there is a law,against slagging off Germans or Turks eg:

Man calls Bundeswehr soldier;Potential Murderer,and got away with it!Went to Bundesgerichtshof (high Court).

A German calls a Turk;Kanak,that´s about as bad as it gets in unsults,and gets away with it.Good lawyer.

Give somebody the `finger`in a car,200 euros!

Call a copper `Du`freindly version of Sie,1,200 euros!

Confused?? so am I, after over 20 years.

Midnight......living in a real Banana Republic :roll: