Instant Private Messages via the Chat Bar

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, May 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I want to point out a feature of the chatbar that has been popular on Rum Ration, instant PMs.

Click on the Chat(123) icon in the chatbar that shows who is online. Scroll or search to your target victim and click on him/her. This will open a private chat window.

I still consider the chatbar as 'under trial' and I know it gets in the way of the quick reply button, a bug I will tackle this afternoon. In general though I like it - there's no significant lag, it doesn't load our servers, the cost is very reasonable, it doesn't rely on browser plugins (Flash, Java) and it's simple. A bit lacking in bells and whistles may be, but all in all pretty good.

Whether we want it as a bar is a different question, and we could sack it in favour of a separate page as before. I would like to see if the intant PM feature I mentioned is used first though.
  2. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

It's not bad! Instant PM is fine, although it doesn't work so well on browser on ipad, but that's no drama.
    Gets my vote :)
  3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Do we not get the picture message thing like on Rumration?

Reason I ask, is that I like sending childlike paintbrush drawings of penises to people.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Unfortunately not - the chat bar on Rum Ration wouldn't run on here as it put a lot of load on the server. It is also all together a little more amateur, although cheaper. Shame though as one of the main uses is, as you say, sending cocks!
  5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

It was there the other day, bottom right of any screen and then it disappeared.
  6. I like it - but it's notifying me of replies when none are actually showing up on the widget!
  7. Oh good I like this.
  8. How long before the Mods get accused of hacking into these as well!!
  9. He's on it already.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

We need to hear from the split-arses (I had already noticed that one or two were online) to see whether they complain about blokes asking them to vote on the **** sex thread.

Cannot help but notice that none of them has hit on me yet. Story of my life.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It can be used with a webcam. It'll end in tears of some blob.
  12. Tears is an understatement
    • Like Like x 3
  13. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

That's because you are a cock.

If anyone was going to complain about being asked about **** sex, then this really isn't the forum to be hanging about in. Unless it one of the batshit crazies from mumsnet again.
  14. Oh god I'm being pedantic but you have a typo: