Installing a second hard drive

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BossHogg, Feb 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My hard drive died on me so I bought a new one. Low and behold, my old hard drive has started working again! Is it possible to install both hard drives and have them working in tandem, doubling my storage space? I look forward to hearing the advice from you fine arrsers :D
  2. Yes, you need to set jumpers on the drives themselves to do it. Set drive C as the "Master" and the second drive as the "Slave".

Also check you have physical space in the PC case for it, a spare power connector and a ribbon cable with two connectors on it.
  3. Personally, I would not trust a hard drive that I was not 100% certain of. I'd be inclined to lose that dodgey first one on ebay...

Use active boot disk (google it) to transfer the data neatly and also to check the physical hardware. If you do decide to get rid, there is a handy kill disk utility that kills data to US D.O.D. and German Police standards.
  4. msr

msr LE

5. 7and2suited - I'd be inclined to think that you're a penis.

Back to the question - installing a 2nd HDD is easy. Use the jumpers as described above and you'll have no problem.

You may have to go into the BIOS and check the settings there, and to make sure that it "sees" the 2nd HDD.

You're better off formatting the 2nd HDD, to get the OS off it, and then use it as storage.
  6. If you're prepared to use a disk for data - that was once broken, you're a ******* idiot.

But thanks for your inpuit..
  7. Use Fdisk, or another utility to repair the disc and all is good.

Perhaps you'd like to tell me your IT qualifications?

I bet you read "PC Pro" don't you :D
  8. Get the PC open and have a look inside. There should be a spare HDD bay next to the existing one. Sometimes you need clips to fit to the HDD to get it to snap into place. I've seen these screwed to the inside of the lid or provided as spares with the PC in that box of miscellaneous bits you get.

Then, does your PC use IDE or SATA ? IDE is the big ribbon cable, SATA is the much smaller ribbon.

IDE - there should be a second connector on the ribbon, set the jumpers on the second disk to slave and plug it in. If there's not then you need a new ribbon cable which does have a spare connector. (The first disk should be set to master if you're booting up and all that, but it never hurts to check).

SATA - buy a SATA lead, plug it into the spare slot on the mobo and into the back of the disk. All done. (Assuming there is a spare SATA slot on the mobo of course)

Then plug in a spare power cable, there's usually some spare inside the case stowed away in a corner. You may need an adaptor - just a small plastic widget - depending on the age and spec of both the HDD and the PSU, but that'll be obvious to spot.

Or if that's all too much faff, buy a hard disk enclosure from your supplier of choice, two minutes with a screwdriver and the instructions later you've got a USB lead that plugs in and lets you access the HDD. Don't forget to buy the right size and interface for your HDD - I've got it wrong in the past, easy thing to do.

Personally I'd stick a new drive in your PC, use an enclosure for the old one, tranfser everything across and sling the enclosure in a drawer or wipe and dispose of as I feel like.
  9. I would be inclined to install the new one transfer all dat from the old one and use the old one in a cradle as an external. If it fails to perform, much easier to throw out.
  10. If you're prepared to use a hard disk after this happens:

"My hard drive died on me so I bought a new one. Low and behold, my old hard drive has started working again! "

You're a proper plum. Especially when HDD are pennies these days.

Did my first IT course in 1988, probably before you were born. Been a professional IT consultant since 1993 - also probably before you were born.

But frankly none of that is relevent as any child will tell you not risk data in such a way without proper testing of the equipment.

11. Sorry Dad, you're right :roll: I've been an IT consultant the same time as you by the way.

To be fair, the question asked wasn't "is it a good idea to use a failed HDD as a secondary HDD if it starts working again"

Personally I think he's better off buying a WD MyBook.
  12. :lol: righto!

No sensible IT professional would trust a device under these circumstances. If you truly are an IT consultant, you must have trouble feeding your children.. 8O

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  13. I found out what had happened when I opened my computer to install the new hard disc. I knocked the computer a couple of days earlier (well dropped it from about 3 inches off the ground and had dislodged the ide cable in the sudden jolt.) Me being a thick cnut hadn't noticed the cable wasn't fully locked in. It was only when I went to take the old HD out, I noticed this and fully inserted the connector and it started working again. I've installed Vista on the old HD and it works fine hence my original post :roll:
  14. If a HDD is truly fcuked, then it won't run, and you'll know it's fcuked from the sound. My guess is that it's not knackerer at all, and probably has a loose cable or suchlike.

I don't have kids, I enjoy my money.
  15. Oh dear 7and2suited......egg......face? I think so!

I really hope you don't have any children.