Installation Tech Vs Comms System Engineer?

Ringway12

Swinger
Hi, I will like a serving soldier in the r. Sigs to give me a right direction on which job is suitable to get into in the signals. I am looking at transferring to signals as an installation tech but seems i might not be able to get in on time for inst technician course so been given an option to go for comms sys eng with which i can start soon. I want to know which job is more rewarding? And also what the posting criteria is like Promotion etc. Any relevant info you can give me will be helpful.

Thank you!

Just go CS Eng. Decent posts for Inst Techs are limited to about 3. Due to some magnificent planning and foresight you have a good chance of sitting in a unit that can't use you day-to-day. Promotion is also limited. The CS Eng is a good avenue to getting an in service degree and gives you the option of a Supervisory and Regimental Duties route for promotion. The have a much wider range of posting available too.

colin1

Clanker
It would also be an idea to look further ahead than your military career.
Do you plan to take your career choices into civvy street? CS Eng sounds alot more promising in terms of the sort of options it can offer you. Installation tech sounds like Lab Support to me, not that I'm knocking it but I've a feeling you will when you see the difference in salary between say, Lab Support and a Systems Integration Engineer.
On top of that, just about every place I've worked in, promotion within Lab Support is dead man's shoes, so the typical SI Engineer starts off with a gulf in pay and continues to widen it.

It would also be an idea to look further ahead than your military career.
Do you plan to take your career choices into civvy street? CS Eng sounds alot more promising in terms of the sort of options it can offer you. Installation tech sounds like Lab Support to me, not that I'm knocking it but I've a feeling you will when you see the difference in salary between say, Lab Support and a Systems Integration Engineer.
On top of that, just about every place I've worked in, promotion within Lab Support is dead man's shoes, so the typical SI Engineer starts off with a gulf in pay and continues to widen it.
Inst Tech is not like Lab Support. Think new building, that needs flood wiring for comms, then call a mech. I would advise getting an engineer to confirm the requirement before letting the little termites off the leash.

CSE, no question! Better trained, more employment options, wider range for career development and universally useful rather than just in a few units.

Although FofS is theoretically open to Tele Mechs I've never met one, although I have also never met a Tele Mech who I didn't rate.

For Tele Mech read Inst Tech.

Afternoon all,

I am set to start basic training next month, with the ambition to then go on and become a Comms system Engineer. In regards to my preparation for this, i'd like to focus on both the physical, and mental side of things. I've been training physically for a couple of months now, but its dawned on me that I haven't done maths for a couple of years, and will therefore need to re-visit the subject over the next few weeks prior to starting training. Could anyone possibly advise me on how to best prepare for the technician course?

I am fully aware that ive got a long way to go before reaching that stage, however id like to give myself every chance i can of making the cut at Blandford.

Thanks in advance! :)

I'd pick CSeng just for the promotion to LCpl after your phase two.
To help answer your question clem, I did the course about four years ago and we did electronic, telecommunication and radio principles, basic soldering, a month of I.S and a month of Bowman.
I didn't revise anything before phase two and I did fine, the only thing I wish I revised was for I.S. For this just make sure you have a basic understanding of networking, routers, I.p addressing etc and that will help you no end.

Latest Threads