• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Instaling Vista on a XP machine

Been asked a question and I can't seem to find the answer (I want) on the t'interweb. So chances are it can't be done.

Can I upgrade an XP machine to run Vista? Or is it a case of complete rebuild?

The machine in question would take a little while to put everything back on if the rebuild is the only option.

Thanks in advance.

If you google for a vista compatibility program and run it, it will scan your hardware and tell you if your pc is capable of running vista.

The_Highway_Man said:
If you google for a vista compatibility program and run it, it will scan your hardware and tell you if your pc is capable of running vista.
The machine is capable of running Vista, I am just wonderng if I can upgrade over XP, or if it has to be rebuilt.

If you already know the machine is capable of running Vista then there is no reason to rebuild. If you have a Vista install disc check to see if it is an upgrade disc from XP to Vista, if a full blown Vista disc, then backup any files you require and install Vista, it will format the disc on install.

Jim

Ceate a seperate partition on your hard drive (if you have space!!), install vista onto this, then have a dual OS boot machine, that way you can see if you like vista for everyday use before perhaps committing to a complete install.

I have installed vista ultimate over XP on a couple of machines, what I have found is that it will put your old windows into a folder called "oldwindows". everything is in there still, i.e documents etc if thats what you are worried about, I just moved them into new documents folder

I did the same when I changed from XP to bed Vista, it was very handy as I still had my old stuff to access without backing it up. ;) i didn't have to worry about creating a partition, I just put it in as a new installation.

canteen_cowboy said:
I have installed vista ultimate over XP on a couple of machines, what I have found is that it will put your old windows into a folder called "oldwindows". everything is in there still, i.e documents etc if thats what you are worried about, I just moved them into new documents folder
My apologies :oops: , yes it does put XP in "oldwindows". Have to be honest I have not done an install for a number of years, I use Vista and am quite happy with it, is memory hungry but I can run all my programmes with no problem :D .

Jim

Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
Why would you want to?

I have Vista on my laptop and XP on my PC at home. I still much prefer XP.
What he said. Vista is still not generally trouble free compared to XP. I have had no end of problems with peripherals and installations and have twice had to restore to factory settings in just 4 months. (problems with Norton. Got Kaspersky now!) :pc: :thumleft:

Nay bother with XP pro :thumleft:

DON'T DO IT!!! Stick to XP it is so much better. I have reverted back to XP on my laptop and it runs much better. Or if you fancy something different try Linux is will be like a hole new world.

madpad_01 said:
DON'T DO IT!!! Stick to XP it is so much better. I have reverted back to XP on my laptop and it runs much better. Or if you fancy something different try Linux is will be like a hole new world.
Would strongly disagree with you there my friend, those who have problems with Vista are usually those who install sh*tloads of bloatware on their PC's or never defrag or scandisk their drives for errors, or generally have sh*t spec computers.

Maybe you stick to XP because your laptop is a little powered for all the pretty effects Vista does?

Saying that, I have pretty beefed up PC and laptop (which is a lovely HP HDX).

BUT XP with all service packs is definately 110% defendable, but to me so is Vista.

Vista got some bad press because a lot of people tried to run it on machines that were not really suited to it....

I think its a decent OS.... better yet however, is Windows 7.... I have been running the release candidate for a few months now and its great. Much, much smaller resource footprint than Vista.. don't know if the R.C is still available but would recommend doing that and then waiting for the official release and bypass Vista entirely.

There is an awful lot of crap talked by both sides in the VISTA debate - so here's my shovelful.

1. Do you need to upgrade ? If not, don't. Life's too short to care what your OS is.

2. VISTA will consume more resources ( best figures I've seen are up to twice as much if you turn everything on, 40% more if you turn everything off). Whether or not you care is completely dependent on your hardware.

3. On that note Win 7 is out soon, it might be cheaper to wait a while then buy a new lappy with Win 7, you'll probably do that anyway sooner or later.

4. There's an awful lot of tweaking you can do to improve the VISTA experience - but can you be bothered if XP works OK ?

Bikini_Black said:
DONT BOTHER.

Wait for Windows 7, or install the beta.
Or better yet, the R.C (as mentioned above) as the beta has been withdrawn and is now in its phase of automatic periodic shut-downs.... :p (if it is still operational at all).

Pompey_Jock said:
Bikini_Black said:
DONT BOTHER.

Wait for Windows 7, or install the beta.
Or better yet, the R.C (as mentioned above) as the beta has been withdrawn and is now in its phase of automatic periodic shut-downs.... :p (if it is still operational at all).
Yep, what he said.

Whips the shiznit out of vista.

Latest Threads