Insight of a Sergeant Major - NO PUNCHES PULLED HERE

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Sep 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Insight of a Sergeant Major - NO PUNCHES PULLED HERE
    (The author, J.D. Pendry, is a retired Army Command
    Sergeant Major who writes for Random House.)
    Jimmy Carter, you're the father of the Islamic Nazi
    movement. You threw the Shah under the bus, welcomed the
    Ayatollah home and then lacked the spine to confront the
    terrorists when they took our embassy and our people
    hostage. You're the Runner-in-Chief.
    Bill Clinton, you played "ring around the Lewinsky" while
    the terrorists were at war with us. You got us into a
    fight with them in Somalia, and then you ran from it. Your
    weak-willed responses embolden the killers. Each time you
    failed to respond adequately they grew bolder, until 9/11.
    John Kerry, dishonesty is your most prominent attribute.
    You lied about American Soldiers in Vietnam. Your military
    service, like your life, is more fiction than fact. You've
    accused our Soldiers of terrorizing women and in Iraq. You
    called Iraq the wrong war, wrong place, wrong time... the
    same words you used to describe Vietnam. You're a fake.
    You want to run from Iraq and abandon the Iraqis to
    murderers just as you did the Vietnamese. Iraq, like
    Vietnam is another war that you were for, before you were
    against it.
    John Murtha, you said our military was broken. You said we
    can't win militarily in Iraq. You accused United States
    Marines of cold-blooded murder without proof. And said we
    should redeploy to Okinawa. Okinawa, John? And the
    Democrats call you their military expert. Are you sure you
    didn't suffer a traumatic brain injury while you were off
    building your war hero resume? You're a sad, pitiable,
    corrupt and washed up politician. You're not a Marine sir.
    You wouldn't amount to a pimple on a real Marine's ass.
    You're a phony and a disgrace. Run away John.
    Dick Durbin, you accused our Soldiers at Guantanamo of
    being Nazis, tenders of Soviet style gulags and as bad as
    the regime of Pol Pot who murdered two million of his own
    people after your party abandoned South East Asia to the
    Communists. Now you want to abandon the Iraqis to the same
    fate. History was not a good teacher for you, was it? See
    Dick run.
    Ted Kennedy, for days on end you held poster sized
    pictures from Abu Grhaib in front of any available
    television camera. Al Jazeera quoted you saying that
    Iraqis torture chambers were open under new management.
    Did you see the news this week Teddy? The Islamic Nazis
    demonstrate real torture for you again. If you truly
    supported our troops, you'd show the world poster-sized
    pictures of that atrocity and demand the annihilation of
    it. Your legislation stripping support from the South
    Vietnamese which led to a communist victory there. You're
    a bloated fool bent on repeating the same historical
    blunder that turned freedom-seeking people over to
    homicidal, genocidal maniacs. To paraphrase John Murtha,
    all while sitting on you wide, gin-soaked rear-end in
    Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Carl Levine, Barbara Boxer,
    Diane Feinstein, Russ Feingold, Hillary Clinton, Pat
    Leahy, Chuck Schumer et al ad nauseam. Every time you
    stand in front of television cameras and broadcast to the
    Islamic Nazis that we went to war because our President
    lied. That the war is wrong and our Soldiers are
    torturers. That we should leave Iraq, you give the Islamic
    butchers - the same ones that tortured and mutilated
    American Soldiers - cause to think that we will run away
    again and all they have to do is hang on a little longer.
    American news media, the New York Times particularly. Each
    time you publish stories about national defense secrets
    and our intelligence gathering methods, you become one
    with the sub-human pieces of camel dung that torture and
    mutilate the bodies of American Soldiers. You can't strike
    up the courage to publish cartoons, but you can help Al
    Qaeda destroy my country. Actually, you are more dangerous
    to us than Al Qaeda is. Think about that each time you
    face Mecca to admire your Pulitzer.
    You are America's axis of idiots. Your collective
    stupidity will destroy us. Self-serving politics and
    terrorist abetting news scoops are more important to you
    than our national security or the lives of innocent
    civilians and Soldiers. It bothers you that defending
    ourselves gets in the way of your elitist sport of
    politics and your ignorant editorializing. There is as
    much blood on your hands as is on the hands of murdering
    terrorists. Don't ever doubt that. Your frolics will only
    serve to extend this war as they extended Vietnam. If you
    want our Soldiers home, as you claim, knock off the crap
    and try supporting your country ahead of supporting your
    silly political aims and aiding our enemies. Yes, I'm
    questioning your patriotism. Your loyalty ends with -self.
    I'm also questioning why you're stealing air that decent
    Americans could be breathing. You don't deserve the
    protection of our men and women in uniform. You need to
    run away from this war and this country. Leave the war to
    the people who have the will to see it through and the
    country to people who are willing to defend it.
    No Commander in Chief, you don't get off the hook either.
    Our country has two enemies. Those who want to destroy us
    from the outside and those who attempt it from within.
    Your Soldiers are dealing with the outside force. It's
    your obligation to support them by confronting the axis of
    idiots. America must hear it from you that these people
    are harming our country, abetting the enemy and
    endangering our safety. Well up a little anger please, and
    channel it toward the appropriate target. You must
    prosecute those who leak national security secrets to the
    media. You must prosecute those in the media who knowingly
    publish those secrets. Our Soldiers need you to confront
    the enemy that they cannot. They need you to do it now.
  2. I assume he never voted for any of them then ?..........someone did though !!
  3. Well TW John Murthas service record looks a little better than George W, 'Rummy' and Cheney so I think he's entitled to his opions on the US Army (as a marine thses are probably very forthright)

'He rose through the ranks to become a drill instructor at Parris Island and was selected for Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia. He then was assigned to the Second Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. In 1959, Captain Murtha took command of the 34th Special Infantry Company, Marine Corps Reserves, in Johnstown. He remained in the Reserves after his discharge from active duty until he volunteered for Vietnam in 1966-67, where he served as the S-2 intelligence officer for the 1st Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division and received the Bronze Star with Combat "V", two Purple Hearts and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. The official notification of award for his Bronze Star and Purple Hearts are available to view here. He remained in the Reserves until his retirement.'
  4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

It would seem that you changed your post that this reply was intended for about what vlaue it was the the British Army, etc. Yes, some one voted for thses president's but I did not, except for both Bush Presidents

Absolutely none! (Value to British Army nor was it intended to be.)

This is the Multinational HQs forum is it not? This is one American's retired Sgt. Major's point of views on current and past Presidents and the media and some others.

I happen to agree with most of his rant. If it isn't of interest to you, I suggest that you not read it and go the another tread, that suits you.

I do that here all the time here! Try it you'll like it! :wink:

Rumsfeld served in the United States Navy from 1954 to 1957 as a Naval aviator and flight instructor. In 1957, he transferred to the Ready Reserve and continued his Naval service in flying and administrative assignments as a drilling reservist until 1975. He transferred to the Standby Reserve when he became Secretary of Defense in 1975 and to the Retired Reserve with the rank of Navy Captain in 1989.
  5. I agree on Dick Durbin, Ted Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, and several others.

Partially on Murtha, only because I believe he's currently putting party loyalty and political agendas before his country and the Corps (and I could say the same about several Neocons), but his record of service is solid.

I don't like Kerry because his claims helped fuel harrasment of returning 'Nam vets, and some of his metals (like a purple heart for sitting on shrapnel) are questionable. I also didn't take kindly to his belittling of Coalition contingients (like the Polish) and his insults about the ANA. But he was undeniably there in Vietnam, and did his service.

Clinton stood up to Slobodon, and was not to blame for the failure in Somalia, weak rules-of-engagement and public opinion did.

I do agree with his sentiment to a point, but some of the personal attacks cross the line IMHO.

Just before you hit back, I will acknowledge once again that I don't consider myself an expert at all, I'm just putting in my 2 cents worth.
  6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Remember this guy?

"In September General Powell asked Aspin to approve the request of the U.S. commander in Somalia for tanks, armored vehicles and AC-130 Spectre gunships for his forces. Aspin turned down the request. Shortly thereafter Aideed's forces in Mogadishu killed 18 U.S. soldiers and wounded more than 75 in attacks that also resulted in the shooting down of three U.S. helicopters and the capture of one pilot."

Who appointed this assclown? He is why we had no armor (Tanks) to send or go with the rescue units to the Rangers there, among other things.

As for Murtha, here is a an articles on him.:
  7. And another testimony to the ideology of "I'd rather win than be right" (whilst accomplishing neither). So, at the risk of setting off the Trip-Wire again, let's deconstruct the argument.
    1. OK, until someone can give me an account (or even a reasonable supposition) of what Osama bin Laden's views on the role of the corporatist state is, can everyone stop using the phrase Islamo-fascism/ Islamic Nazi etc.? It makes anyone who uses the phrase look like they have no deeper understanding of its meaning than a 12yr old who accuses his/her parents of being fascists. Just because an enemy is generally a nasty piece of work and has a penchant for bizarre facial hair, it does not necessarily make them a fascist.

2. The second reason this term is stupid- it draws a parallel between those who are Islamic and those who aren't. The US made the same mistake in Vietnam with the phrase Viet Cong. It only served to remind the Vietnamese people that the Viet Cong were Vietnamese and the Americans were outsiders.

Just because it happened on his watch, it doesn't necessarily make him accountable. Decades of US policy contibuted to the Iranian revolution. If you're going to use this rationale, then you'd better stand ready to lay the blame for 9/11 at Bush's feet.
    And once the US engaged the terrorists, W broke off to go on an unrelated "Get Saddam" escapade. Which was the greater error?

Them? Who's "them"?

Anyway, no matter, it was actually Bush 41 who sent US forces to Somalia.

Not so much Clinton as Congress, who cut off funding.

No, completely different people were involved in Somalia (a true civil war at that time). Yes, mistakes were made and Clinton could have handled things better, but the general line of argument here is facile.
    American atrocities were proved time and again.

All "Swift Boat" accusations have been discredited and disproved.

Umm, how many soldiers are now awaiting trial for that very thing?

And the majority of the American people, scholars and historians have agreed with him on both counts.

Has anyone read or listened to anyone with stars on their shoulder about the National Guard, Reserves, equipment and preparedness to meet the next generation of challenges and threats? Almost $60bn cut from the USN and USAF budgets this year alone to pay for bullets & bombs and replacement kit for Iraq.

And you can't. It's 99% political now- something that is far beyond your capacity to understand, it would seem.

And his accusations have been substanitated by Pentagon staffers while Rummy and the White House try to sit on the report until after the midterm elections.

Fcuk me, this guy is more emotional than you, Abe.
    Let's put this in context, shall we?

And every humanitarian mission that has visited the place broadly concurrs with Durbin- and Tony Blair, just about the last friend the US has in the world, referrs to it as "an abberation".
    And if Septic Squaddies weren't taking those photos and emailing them to their friends, he wouldn't have had them in the first place.

For the DOJ's definition of torture:

Is he even talking about the same South Vietnamese Government that the rest of us knew and loved?

You never heard of the United States Constitution or swore an oath to "protect and defend" it then?
    "War is the continuation of politics with an ad-mix of other means." I'm sure I read that somewhere once. As a soldier, you were a political instrument.
    Now THAT is fascism.

It's also why nobody ever asks "The Badge" for his views on World Politics or the principles of representative democracy. If you're looking for someone to go and have a fight, he's your man but you wouldn't necessarily want him making strategic decisions about foreign policy. Everyone has their role to play in society, and as a good fascist he should be able to understand that.
  8. Once upon a time, there was an organization called the United States Congress. One day, after being led by the nose into a clusterfcuk of a War in South East Asia that dragged on for ten years, cost 58,000 American and 3-4 million Vietnamese lives, Congress passed something called the War powers act.

For the next 20 years, every president had to deal with decisions to deploy US troops on ops with the War Powers Act in mind. This continued until a brave knight, by the name of St George rode into town on his trusty steed ,Alberto, and managed to convince Congress to relinquish its Constitutionally mandated obligation to oversee excutive action, specifically regarding matters of wat and peace, for fear that they would be cast among the non-believers.

And Halliburton, Lockheed Martin, United Technologies and all the little drones at AEI, Heritage and the Weekly Standard and WSJ Editorial Staff all lived happily ever after.
  9. I do not know a vast amount about US politics, in fact what I know is from family in the States, what I read on here and the British Press. I can undertand why the article might have been writtten - it is hugely frustrating to be in the military and feel that the state doesn't support you - however for the most part I would say that most American citizens I have met are very pro their armed forces, in UK they are not, in fact whilst in Iraq I received nothing from the British community to support my troops but did get sent a bundle of 'Well Done' notes from US children. So I do not want to seem anti american but......

Is this article trying to suggest that there have bben no atrocities commited by US troops in Iraq? This is manifestly wrong and such wrongdoers must be exposed in order to maintain the credibiity of all the good servicement that do not, and would never abuse human rights. It is imperative that any canker is removed from a 'force for good'.

Is the article really suggesting there should not be freedom of the press/free speech? Quite I understood it this was protected by your constitution. To act as the article suggests hardly inspires confidence in the land of the free.

As for Guantanamo.... this turns me into what the author of the article could only describe as a tree hugging liberal (something of which I am infact very proud). There is never a justification to treat people like animals. I believe in the rule of law and find the ducking and diving done by the legal boys over the status of these people contemptable. If there is evidence of a crime try them, and give them fair access to a defence. The trial need not be even in public but follow the rule of law, if they are guilty of a crime then prove it, and then lock them up. As I understand it they are not yet terrorists since no-one has proven that it is so. As for chaining people to the floor, when they are already in cages, frankly I am stunned that the whole US nation is not outraged - not at the individual soldiers running the place but the Chain if Command that established it and is codes of practice.

However despite the fact I disagree with almost all the article says, I think the saying goes - I defend to my last breath his right to say it. A shame he doesn't pay his opponents the same courtesy
  10. Well, the author is either a liar or an idiot.

Op EAGLE CLAW (the abortive attempt to rescue the hostages from Tehran) was authorised and mounted by the Carter administration ("lacked the spine" - codswallop. The post-Vietnam US armed forces that existed in 1979 had no chance of "defeating Iran" short of nuking it, and Carter knew that).

Reagan's solution was to buy off the Iranians by selling them spare parts for HAWK missiles, and to use the money to support the Contras (see Oliver North).

Carter was a US Navy regular officer (nuclear submarines); Reagan was a bit part actor who never served.
  11. Ooooh, another "is the author a moron or a liar" question. I think you'll find that both the initial entry into Somalia; and the "change of policy" where the US Military started shooting militiamen until the militiamen started shooting back; happened while George Bush Snr. was in charge.

Remember that the US had killed at least 30 of Aideed's militia in attacks on their arms dumps, before the first US soldier was killed.

Clinton got handed a degenerating situation, and at least had the good sense to pull out. Or would you prefer that the US Army had tried to stay in Somalia? Big hint, casualty rates would have been similar to Iraq.
  12. American politics have always been self centred! world war1, world war2, korea and viet-nam...... never mind the wars now!
  13. Congratulations Trip Wire on a brilliant post! Saved me a lot of time that did.....
  14. Surely most countries and their political systems can be accused of that?
  15. Raygun apparently did do his bit:

He did something, which is more than can be said of some, such as Marrion Robert Morrison

He also commanded the California National Guard in his time as Govenor :wink: