Insight into the Intelligence Corps?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by nick_jinks, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to learn more about the intelligence corps, such the role of junior officers and how the corps operates. However, I haven't been able to find much literature or online material to explain what I might be getting into by signing up.

I've got to wait until after Main Board before I can attend a visit day, but can anyone suggest a good book on the subject, or share their experiences? Thanks.
  2. Any of the Bond books;) seriously you will find out soon enough. The roles are wide, varied and ( surprisingly) mostly classified outside of the usual troop commander stuff.
  3. There is a reason why there is little information available, it is a fairly obvious one!

Intelligence Power in Peace and War - Michael Herman - Google Books

The above book may help you understand the fundamentals of intelligence, albeit not necessarily a junior INT CORPS officer's role within this domain.

If you are looking for detailed information, like the type of biscuits served in the mess or the channel played in Abbot's bar (MTV Dance btw), you will be disappointed. It is unlikely you are going to find out much more than is on the Army Jobs website.

Unfortunately you are going to have to like it or lump it as such information is not going to be available to you until you possess the required clearances, quite possibly after your choice of arm at RMAS if you make it that far. You are going to have to take a leap of faith, the fact that INT CORPS is a popular choice amongst OCdts should speak for itself.
  4. A Book entitled Forearmed by Dr Anthony Clayton is available through Amazon. It gives an approved, although incomplete history of the Intelligence Corps up to the 1990s.

Furthermore, you could probably contact the Intelligence Corps Association at Chicksands for some other historic titles. Their address is on the MOD Website

As DC above says, you are going to have to accept what is published on open forums You will not be privy to the full range of skills until you are at least accepted for Commission into the Corps. The Corps guards most of its Secrets within and even on this forum on the Intelligence Corps Thread, you are unlikely to elicit much further than we are prepared to share.
  5. From the perspective of a former lance jack (stab, but with 1 tour of herrick and a deployment to arrc), I'd say I would't fancy joining the int corps as an officer if I had choice of trades.

I found in general, the officers, even junior officers, were quite detached from the actual work (be it the analysis, conducting sec surveys or delivering briefs) and took on more of a role of managers doing the quality checks.
    Even the high end work, such as delivering briefs to the top brass was delivered and prepared by junior ranks and sometimes senior nco's.
    I know you have the management and admin oversight responsibilities as an officer, but it just seemed like to much of it in the .int corps and not many officers getting to utilise their training.

I enjoyed my time though and have no regrets joining.

The other thing I'd say is don't expect a high adrenaline or physical role. Most of it is desk bound (for my 3months in kabul I literally swapped my rifle for a laptop and only saw it once a week to clean). However you do get to look at some interesting stuff and get involved in strategic level decisions even at a junior level.

Just my experience from the 'bread and butter' field security/ analysis jobs. Sure others on here probably have different experiences based on the more 'sexy' aspects of the trade.
  6. **** me mate? Have you read that one! It is a highly dense academic manual, written by an ex-GCHQ bod.

The OP'll be zipping himself into a North Face duffle bag pretty quickly after the book hits him.

I'm not saying it isn't a good read, but it's a hell of an opener!

Much better for an entertaining tour through the highs (and lows) of the Intelligencer's trade!
  7. Can you go into more detail about what kind of thing the officers were doing? I'm wondering whether or not to apply as an officer or soldier, so any insight you can give would be great thanks!
  8. I think 3 Lamps has answered your question already.
  9. Having seen your other posts don't bother, we don't want you. Just join the monkeys or self-combust!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. No.

It's really not for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I'm just looking for more details.
  12. And why's that?
  13. You have all the information you need.
  14. I think that's for me to decide. I'm just trying to start a conversation with 3lamps so I can find out more about the job I want to do, what is wrong with that? Please tell me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.