Insight Course

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by eddietheboyp, Nov 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going through the process of signing up for a career in the Army. Just recieved a letter informing me that I have to attend an insight course for 5 days at Longmoor Camp, it says that I must attend or my application will be put on hold for a year. I thought this course was attended by choice not compulsory. Is this a new rule that all recruits have to attend? After this I then go for the normal selection. By the way, I'm 26 so seems strange that I have to attend this.

2. I found it well worth going on my insight course. Why is it strange for you to go on it? You'll learn stuff while you're there, and if you find you don't like it after all, you haven't wasted months doing the application and early basic.

3. By the end of the day do what your recruiters asking you to do, all applicants now will do a one weeks Insight prior to ADSC then if passed and allocated a place in training will have to do a week Pre ATR course (PTE) aswell as directed by your recruiter. If you cant follow simple requests by your ACIO and would rather whine on here maybe joining the army isn't the best career choice for you.......most career jobs you apply for have different assessments during the process. Use the Insight course to get valuable ideas so you get a higher IDST score and hopefully a job offer afterwards.

4. Just do it, they're great fun. I did Scottish Soldier (5 day RRS insight course) in Edinburgh & gained good insight in to my job choice.

5. thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Not complaining, just hadn't seen anything about this before, only voluntary courses, thats why I was querrying it. I agree would be worth doing anyway, I need to check with AFCO whether this is just an insight or actually being assessed, i.e. need to start training hard again!

6. Why ask the AFCO, everything you do should be done 100% and your assessed on every course/training day/interview and even visit so it shouldnt change the way you look at it.

7. Hi all, I'm going on an insight course at Okehamton camp next summer, I was just wandering what to expect from it
    I'm only 15 at he moment but I'm hoping to join the infantry after leaving school
    cheers :)

8. I did one a few weeks back up in Scotland.

Day 1 -- Command tasks followed by 10 mile tab or so.
    Day 2 -- Sports (we did football) followed by swimming (strenuous to say the least)
    Day 3 -- 1.5 miler followed by assault course....twice
    Day 4 -- More sports (football and basketball) followed by Overnight exercise, basically walking around alot, diving into puddles of water every time cpl shouts grenade
    Day 5 -- hand in kit, go home.

also grenade lesson + test, ice breaker, orienteering (weather permitting) dope test (not the drug type) it asks things like "how far can a bear go into the woods" and "if it took 5 men 10 mins to dig a hole, how long did it take 2 men to dig half a hole"

You get assessed from the moment you arrive, we were treated as though we were in the army, things like back chat or refusal to do phys will result in an insta boot home and indefinite deferral.

oh and btw, don't put your hands in your pockets, just sayin.

9. i done the chosen man 2 course up redford barracks with the rifles and i was up at selection a 2 weeks after, get a good report and you'll sail through the process faster

10. I have a SCOTS insight course at Redford Barracks this Monday coming, and i don't know what to expect man :( read all the notes and that.

11. Read up, man up and crack on. Big boys rules from now on in. Just remember that they can't make you pregnant and you shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke.

Don't whine, work hard, learn and if you come out at the end of it, you'll be all the better for it.

12. My insight course at Redford comprised of a Icebreaker, general knowledge test and a 1.5 mile run.

13. Really, Icebreaker? My icebreaking drills consisted of standing semi-nude at -10 deg C in Norway on planks with a full jerry can in my bergan. Sliding in, ditching skis and bergan to the side before I sank, swimming to the other side with ski poles, no. rank and name shouted, then daggering out using ski poles before ******* off sharpish through a tumble in the snow to a tent, dry clothes and a brandy. 1999 was ******* cold too.

Choose your words with care.

14. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

His words are right. They call the event when they have to stand up and talk about themselves an ice breaker, which is what he said "comprised of a Icebreaker". He didnt say that it comprised of ice breaking 'drills' which is what you did.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ahem... 10 mile tab? You joining the SAS?

• Like Like x 1