Insidious new e-mail scam

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Dunservin, Mar 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I receive lots of scam e-mails which I normally consign to my junk file. However, this is the first I've had claiming to come from someone in the British Army rather than some deposed African leader's relative or lawyer. It is written in unusually good English and looks like it originates in India but who knows? Has anyone else received it and is it worth trying to do anything about it?

-----Original Message-----
    From: MAJOR.JAMES GLENN [mailto:ja_glenn2000@yahoo.co.in]
    Sent: 17 March 2007 10:07
    To: **************
    Subject: Urgent Response Needed

Hello

I am MAJOR.JAMES GLENN, I am a British soldier attached to UN peace keeping force in Iraq, I Am the commanding officer of the First Battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment, as you may Know everyday, there are several cases of insurgents attacks and suicide bombs going on here.

We managed to Move funds belonging to some demised persons who were attacked and killed through insurgent attacks. The total amount is US$25 Million dollars in cash. We want to move this money to you, so That you may keep our share for us untill when we shall come over to meet You.

We will take 70%, my partner and I. You take 30%. No strings attached, Just help us move it out of Iraq, Iraq is a war zone.

We plan on using Diplomatic courier and shipping the money out in two large metallic Boxes, using diplomatic immunity. If you are interested I will send you the full details, my job is to find a good partner that we can trust and that will assist us. Can I trust you? When you receive this letter, kindly send me an e-mail signifying your interest including your most confidential telephone/fax numbers for quick communication also your contact details.

This business is risk free. The boxes can be shipped out in 48hrs to your door step.

Respectfully,

MAJOR.JAMES GLENN

2. With an INDIAN email addy.

I think not.

Obviously the call centres aren't being worked hard enough.

3. Poor syntax and punctuation, can't be Indian

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Don't suppose that anyone would be stunned to know that there's no Maj of that name on the Army list? :)

5. Not surprising really, anyone old enough to have served in the US civil war is bound to have popped off by now!
    http://ehistory.osu.edu/uscw/library/or/067/0203.cfm

6. If you want some fun (and have the time) visit this site:

http://www.419eater.com/

Some great advice, ideas and tips if you want to "scam the scammers"!!

7. No dosh either!

8. The grammar and punctuation is poor enough to be from a genuine officer though.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Well I was impressed!!

Bn CO of 1RIR and only a major? He must have a fantastic career plot!

10. What a wnaker.

UN in Iraq and commanding 1 R IRISH at the same time, all as a Major... my arrse. I love to have the ability to spam this knob's account out of existence.

11. Yeah but 30% of $25 million, got to be a risk worth taking?

Surely??????????????

12. Any day now...any day now...

13. It's hardly new, just another iteration of the 419 scam. Report it, if you like:

http://www.fraudaid.com/ScamSpeak/Nigerian/I'veReceivedaNigerianLetter-WhatDo-I-Do.htm

14. Good god!

I didnt know that the tax free "getting shot at" bonus was quite so high, didn't see many blokes with $25,000,000 in their back burners last time I was over there...!