Inside of the knee - slight pain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jonny36, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I woke up this morning with a slight pain behind the inner knee. Feels a bit stiff when I fully extend the leg.

Last night I did an 8 mile tab with no problem at all. It may have occured from stretching.

I can walk on the leg no problem, now and again I get a twinge.

Running on the spot I just feel a slight pulling.

Carry on training?
  2. if it was me id give a day or twos rest - i wouldent want to harm it any further (the knee can be a right f*cker pain wise) - then maybee a light jog and depending on how that feels carry on as ussual :)
  3. Yeah I would also go for a couple of days rest, knee problems can quickly develop if not rested. I speak from experience as I am a typical rugby player who doesnt rest their injuries, it has ended up giving me problems now.
  4. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Could be a ligament strain or cartiledge (forgive spelling, I am not a doc) twinge. The advice to rest is bang on. Leave it til Monday til you PT again. Ice pack 20 mins on, 20 mins of for a couple of hours today or tonight would probably be v.beneficial. (Ex rugby player/skier who has been where you are more times than I can remember).)
  5. Like this at all?

I just had to stop for 2 days from a long spell of pounding around and noticed the same thing in my knee as I was walking along.

The pain was on the side of the knee cap, but felt like it was moving across. Not too bad, just there.

I figured it was probably the point where the ligament attaches to the bone getting sore (in my case) from over use.

It felt similar to plantar fascitis (sp?) which you get around your heel. Sort of burning heat feeling to it. Not bad though.

Like the others said a few days rest is good. Get it up above head height with some ice on it when you can. Or so I always get told :)
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

When there is pain at the back of the knee, it will help to work hard on the strength of the muscles at the front of the thigh; it balances out the load on the joint. Simply sitting down and stretching your leg out (off the ground) repeatedly will aid in this, or whilst standing, perhaps with weight on, bend and stretch the legs so the front of the leg gets some extra work.

No training until the twinges go. If it doesn't feel right walking then there is no way you should be doing anything more on it.

You could have a tracking problem (Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome) or mechanical problems, or functional imbalances (underdeveloped quadriceps etc). With any pain it's your body telling you to slow down and rest.
    Soldier-Poet is right to suggest the ice action. Plus you need to make sure your knee is supported correctly in the future, so devote some time to strengthening the knee, hamstring, quads and calf muscles. Keep in mind it's strengthening not body building!

If the pain or residual pain is still there 48hrs (and icing) later go and see a Doc or physio. I know it sounds OTT but by treating 'niggles' like this now, it prevents chronic injuries wrecking you in the long term.

(In my opinion Handsome you sound like you deffo have a tracking problem)
  8. jonny old boy, sounds exactly what i felt after a tab, physio reckons i pulled my back of thigh muscle.
  9. I have a tracking prob, but I thought tracking pain showed up in hips?

I've been running on nike airs and not the trainers I got from 'run and become' to correct it. you are prob right :)

Back to the asics it is.
  10. Bad tracking is one of the biggest problems with knees, aside from an impact injury. Yes the pain can show up in your hip, but it can also appear in your knee too.

Tracking problems happen when the mechanics of the knee are 'disturbed' usually it comes from wearing different shoes, doing different sport/movements, basically different 'wear and tear' to what it is used to. Treatment (the non-surgical sort) is pretty simple, reduce any swelling (RICE) then rehabilitate the 'normal' tracking position by building muscles and strengthening the surrounding area.

11. I have a feeling its a mixture of all of the above.

Add to it that I'm still heaver than i should be and I think you have it.

Ive also found it gets aggravated by treadmills. So I avoid them.
  12. Thanks very much for all the response.

I am off to my physio this morning so I will update you all on the specific problem.

Thanks again.
  13. Make sure the Med centre gives you something else than brufin for it
  14. Sounds like it could be cartilage (I have the same problem). Suggest a visit to a physio if it continues to be painful
  15. mine was diagnosed as trying to get out of PT syndrome, then ligaments, then finally Chrondomalacia Patella. Brufen (army smarties) were no good, but physio therapy helped when they helped me build up the muscles around the knee and showing me how to walk properly (sounds wierd but I had been splaying my feet outwards since basic to make carrying ridiculous loads on tabs easier. My knees were overcompensating for this and that's how the problem started)